Advice on most economic heating please???

Options
Hi, i have recently had a room under my garage converted to a usable area. I am now trying to find the most cost effective way of heating the area. It is around 21foot by 8and a half foot with a insulated suspended ceiling set at 7foot. The walls are 9inch breeze block with dot and dabbed plasterboard on the inside and it is a detached unit.

I can get gas central heating ran to it from my house as it is only seperated by a pathway between the house and garage. I was considering an oil filled unit but this is not an area I am conversant in.

any advice or pitfalls would be greatly apreciated.

cheers Pony

Comments

• thechippy
    thechippy Posts: 1,938 Forumite
    Options
    Pony-Moore wrote: »
    Hi, i have recently had a room under my garage converted to a usable area. I am now trying to find the most cost effective way of heating the area. It is around 21foot by 8and a half foot with a insulated suspended ceiling set at 7foot. The walls are 9inch breeze block with dot and dabbed plasterboard on the inside and it is a detached unit.

I can get gas central heating ran to it from my house as it is only seperated by a pathway between the house and garage. I was considering an oil filled unit but this is not an area I am conversant in.

any advice or pitfalls would be greatly apreciated.

cheers Pony

You could use radiators in there providing they are sized correctly and your ch has the extra required capacity. The other economical route is a heat pump system.
    Happiness, is a Kebab called Doner.....:heart2::heart2:
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I really depends on how much the room is used in winter to determine if it will be cost effective to spend a lot of money to install CH.

Certainly a ASHP would seem to be a very simple and effective system if the room is used a lot, with the added advantage it will have Aircon in the summer.

A detached room without cavity walls approx 180 ft2 will take a fair bit to heat.
  • benichembla
    Options
    Have you considered Electric Underfloor Heating, the room you are talking about is only small, so the cost of piping etc adding onto an existing system would be quiet high, where a small electric underfloor heating would be very simple and reasonabley priced to install and run, even better if you are using a laminate or wood floor.
    Benichembla
  • edgex
    edgex Posts: 4,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    A detached room without cavity walls approx 180 ft2 will take a fair bit to heat.

especially with no insulation on the walls.

when you say gas ch, do you mean run a hot water pipe from your house to the room? if so, you would have to insulate it a lot, & make sure that the pump is capable of pumping the extra distance.

really, you need to decide what you want to use it for.
    probably not a 'liveable' room, workshop, storeroom, utility is probably more suitable, & would require less heating.
  • Pony-Moore_2
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the advice so far, the room will be un occupied most the time and only used during the day as a child friendly room for my wifes child minding or hobby room (place to escape the kids for myself) What I think I need is a form of heating to avoid codensation and the possibility of frost in the room. once people are in the room it soon heats up so shouldnt really need too much extra heat.

Having looked elsewhere on the net an oil filled radiator or a economy 7 style heater with slow release seems suitable.

Am i on the right tracks with this????

All help is greatly appreciated especially as it is getting colder. even in Plymouth.

cheers Pony
  • stevehead
    stevehead Posts: 215 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Having looked elsewhere on the net an oil filled radiator or a economy 7 style heater with slow release seems suitable.

Oil filled rads = v cheap initial outlay, v expensive running costs - ok if room used occasionally
    Heat Pump system = expensive initial outlay, v cheap running costs - ok if room used regularly
    So what's your budget?
  • thechippy
    thechippy Posts: 1,938 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the advice so far, the room will be un occupied most the time and only used during the day as a child friendly room for my wifes child minding or hobby room (place to escape the kids for myself) What I think I need is a form of heating to avoid codensation and the possibility of frost in the room. once people are in the room it soon heats up so shouldnt really need too much extra heat.

Am i on the right tracks with this????

All help is greatly appreciated especially as it is getting colder. even in Plymouth.

cheers Pony

Pony,

The heat load calculation comes in around 4.2kw.
    The room has high heat losses, so I'd go the route of a heat pump. Electric rads etc will cost a fortune to run and take some time to heat the room.
    A heat pump has a timer, so could be set to keep the room above freezing when not in use.
    You will also have the advantage of a very rapid warm up time and cooling in the summer!
    Happiness, is a Kebab called Doner.....:heart2::heart2:
  • Waterways_2
    Options
    You want something that heats up quick. It is basically a daytime room for activities and the likes. Use a Myson Kickspace or wall mounted fan coil unit. Look at the Myson web site. Take 22mm pipes from the heating system to the garage for the Myson. It will heat up in no time and when off no heat at all. Have frost stat there to switch in the heating - best to have the room on its own zone using a zone valve. then only that room kicks in if there is frost. Also the room can be on its own timer control too, so ony that room is heated. It doesn't need the fan on when frost, just warm water through the pipes and coil.

It will be most cost effective and do the job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure