IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Speed camera ticket - what happens now?

Options
I have received a notice of intended prosecution.

I don't remember speeding (36 in a 30 aparantly), I am usally very careful, but I must have been over the limit or i wouldnt have received this letter.I feel terrible about it, I should have taken more care.

I have to fill this form in so they know who the driver of the car was but what happens after that? is there a fine? points? if so how many am i likely to get? and how long will these points remain on my licence?

In actual fact ive just looked at the paper part of my licence and ive already got 3 points on there, from 5 years ago - (sigh) I'm not having a very good morning :(

Comments

• Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    poppet wrote: »

In actual fact ive just looked at the paper part of my licence and ive already got 3 points on there, from 5 years ago - (sigh) I'm not having a very good morning :(

They will have expired so no need to worry about them.

As for the penalty you really need to remember what you were doing but don't necessarily assume that you were speeding. Bargepole posted this morning so have a look at his thread. Others better able to help will be along shortly.
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,880 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hintza wrote: »
    They will have expired so no need to worry about them.

As for the penalty you really need to remember what you were doing but don't necessarily assume that you were speeding. Bargepole posted this morning so have a look at his thread. Others better able to help will be along shortly.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1362557

How the points are delt with http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/EndorsementsAndDisqualifications/DG_4022550

If you just admit to the offence you will get 3 points and a £60 fine or you may be offered a speed awarness course which will cost more but you won't get the points.

My wife and I have a bottle of champange waiting for just this.
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I take it the NIP arrived within the 14-day period, and was posted first class? That is the first thing to consider, OP.
  • poppet
    poppet Posts: 253 Forumite
    Options
    sarahg1969 wrote: »
    I take it the NIP arrived within the 14-day period, and was posted first class? That is the first thing to consider, OP.

yes arrived exactly a week from the date of offence. Not sure if its first class or not as the franked envelope only shows the postage paid of 34p, dosnt say first or second class.

thanks for the reply
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    poppet wrote: »
    I have received a notice of intended prosecution.

I don't remember speeding (36 in a 30 aparantly), I am usally very careful, but I must have been over the limit or i wouldnt have received this letter.I feel terrible about it, I should have taken more care.

I have to fill this form in so they know who the driver of the car was but what happens after that? is there a fine? points? if so how many am i likely to get? and how long will these points remain on my licence?

They come around with a length of rope and hang you off the nearest lamp post.

When you send back the form, they send a FPN. You send that back with your licence and £60 and you get 3 points added.

The 3 points you've already got will have well and truly expired by now so will be removed when your licence is returned.
  • Neil_B
    Neil_B Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Options
    Conor wrote: »
    When you send back the form, they send a FPN.

No they don't. The correct info has already been posted.
    -
  • creditpunch
    Options
    Oops....................
  • bexter30
    Options
    Hi, Back in august 2007, i received a parking ticket in a 30 minute zone no return within an hour. I'd broken down and was unable to move my car within that period. I wrote a letter to the council explaining what had happened and had no response, so assumed it had been resolved. I moved house almost a year ago!! 2 days ago i had a phone call from an old neighbour saying the bailiffs had been around and had posted a letter saying that they were seizing goods for the amount of £142.66p. This is the first I've heard from this case since i responded back in 2007. Can anyone tell me where i stand? Thanks
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    Bexter, it would be far easier for people to help you if you start your own thread, it will be difficult to find your post tacked onto something totally different.:-)
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • FeelingSkint_2
    Options
    Can i ask a stuid question........

You know this 14 day rule that you have to get the letter within 14 or it's viod.....

Well my Quetion is if there is no signiture on delivery how can they prove that you got the ketter within 14 days???????
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport