🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Having Problem with Morethan. Please Help Me out!

Options
I have been a morethan customer for the past 3 years and so have been all of my family members since the past few years. Me and my brother, we both have the same First and Last name and our middlenames are different, live at the same address. This has never been a problem until recently. We were always distinguished by our dob's and policy numbers.

Last month I bought a 2nd car and insured it with Morethan, well when i received the post, it had all the wrong details (details of my brother), even though at the time of taking out the insurance, the customer assistant I spoke to, i gave him all my details, dob, address, etc etc and worst to worst they had put my car into my brothers policy file. Well I called again to inform them of the mistake and they were rude first but then i managed to get the policy cancelled under the 14 day policy and got a new one. The new one costed me £10 extra and I bore the cost. When I took out the policy, I made sure that all the details were right, my DOB, my address, my other car policy, etc were all right. Then last week i call them just to check if they have it all right and VOLA --- They have the right policy number, but all the details wrong again, I was furious about it, i explained them that they are putting my car under my brothers file and his one under mine, when i asked them, what the problem was, they said it was because I gave them the wrong information, even though I never did. Well Infact the policy papers i received in the post have all the right details, then how can their system have my details wrong. If i told them to amend it, they said it would go up by another £10 in my monthly insurance, which I protested and asked them to pull up all the telephone call logs, recordings and to prove that I gave them the details wrong. They were supposed to call me on sunday, 14th, but I havent received any call yet and today when I called them, they said they would get back to me soon, but no answer yet.

My question is - What can I do about this, even thou I have the insurance and im paying for it, but they have put it in the wrong persons name and details, so legally Im still not owing an insurance.

- Can i ask them to cancel and put it in the right name and details, but then why should i pay £10 extra again. Its not my fault or mistake.

- How can i speak to an english customer agent, instead of going to their idiot indian call centres who are rude and no sense of what i speak, infact 75% of the time they dont even understand what i say.

In an event that morethan dumps this fault onto me, can i complain to anyone about this and take an action on them.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Oscar_The_Grouch
    Options
    Hi there

The simple answer is "don't insure with them", but that's not going to help you until your next renewal.

The thing to do is go to "head office". If you look on the More Than website, they confirm that their FSA registration number is 202323 (bottom of the home page). This is actually the registration for Royal & Sun Alliance, as More Than is just a trading name. Their registered office address is:

St. Mark's Court
    Chart Way
    Horsham
    West Sussex
    RH12 1XL

They don't put a telephone number there, but if you go to SAYNOTO0870.com, the website that gives you alternative numbers, they give the telephone number as: 01403 232323.

I would say that your best bet is to phone them and ask to speak to the Chief Executive's Office.

The thing to remember is that when you have called them to get the insurance arranged, you have had to pass Data Protection checks. The fact that they have still managed to enter the details on the wrong policy would seem to indicate that their Data Protection Policy is not up to standard.

Norwich Union Life were fined £1.26 million for failing to (amongst other things) have adequate Data Protection. Ask Royal Sun Alliance if they have that much spare money and would they like you to register the matter with the FSA? Tell them that if they do not resolve the issue within 8 weeks and ensure that the correct vehicles are on the correct policies, you will also be taking the matter up with the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Finally, ask them to pay you £10 per day compensation for each day that you are not able to use your car because they have not confirmed the insurance is in place.

Enjoy!!
    In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
    The late, great, Douglas Adams.
    Quote Posts: 8,042 Forumite
    Options
    Off Topic: Who the chuff gives two of their children the same first name?
  • dj_factor
    Options
    Thanks Oscar, appreciate it. Quote, there are several people in this world who have the same first name, i guess you havent been out of your cookoun yet.
  • bodybutter
    Options
    you can do any changes to your policy online.

What a rip off More than is to charge you for there mistakes.
  • dj_factor
    Options
    I spoke to their british agent in the evening and she told me that, as the case is being handled by their indian counterpart, so they will wait for them to call tommorow, if they dont call, then their English call centre agent will get to my case. The worst part is that my direct debit is due on the 20th of DEC. so if I dont get any positive answer, i will cancel both my car insurances with them and move to someone else. Well its really Shame because We have a total of 5 cars with them, and if Morethan is so stupid to not keep their customers happy, then i guess, they would be losing out on our share.

I was well happy with them interms of insurance, but this situation has really put me off. I first agreed to pay £10 extra pm thinking, it would be a genuine mistake that they put things on my brothers name, but as this incident has repeated again, and especially, now that they are asking me to cancel the existing insurance and to take a new one out for £10 on top of the previous, has shot my blood to the roof, for a stupid mistake on their behalf.

Lets hope for the best, fingers crossed :)
  • JonBoy_SCFC
    Options
    the Indian call centres exist because they can offer a service at a lower cost.

you get what you pay for, so a little patience with our indian brothers - it's not their fault that they're low skilled and low paid.

If you're happy to pay make savings by using them, be ready to make compromises too:money:
  • dj_factor
    Options
    JonBoy, I dont think Morethan is much cheaper. There are several others even UK based who are cheaper. Take Tesco, Quinn, and more. they are even cheaper. Its not about lower costs or brotherhood, but if you think logically and i too agree with 'Oscar', when you call to take out an insurance, you spend half an hour, telling them about your dob, place you were born, the hospital, your midwife, your gp, no of kids, if your married, your job, house, occupation, if you have any other insurance, if you want contents insurance, etc etc etc, then how in the world can you get this wrong.

How can the information being noted go wrong, how can they loss it, or change it onto someone. Isnt it the breach of DATA PROTECTION ACT.
  • JonBoy_SCFC
    Options
    dj_factor wrote: »
    JonBoy, I dont think Morethan is much cheaper. There are several others even UK based who are cheaper. Take Tesco, Quinn, and more. they are even cheaper. Its not about lower costs or brotherhood, but if you think logically and i too agree with 'Oscar', when you call to take out an insurance, you spend half an hour, telling them about your dob, place you were born, the hospital, your midwife, your gp, no of kids, if your married, your job, house, occupation, if you have any other insurance, if you want contents insurance, etc etc etc, then how in the world can you get this wrong.

How can the information being noted go wrong, how can they loss it, or change it onto someone. Isnt it the breach of DATA PROTECTION ACT.

i agree, but just sometimes mistakes happen, maybe they think the error lies with you though - can you remember exactly what you said and was it totally clear?

they will have the phone calls recorded, i would ask for a copy of them if you are confident. this should clear your name if you have nothing to hide

hope this helps
  • dj_factor
    Options
    Yep, exactly, thats what i have done, i have asked them to listen to the calls. i also asked them to send me a copy of it, but they said they cant do that. So hopefully lets see what happens.

Regarding the mistakes, if you read my first post, as i mentioned, They first did this mistake on 13th Nov, and I cancelled that policy, thinking it was a genuine mistake, I then took out a new policy to rectify this problem, and this is the 2nd time they have done this mistake again. I know this is not on from my side because when i took the policy i made it sure that it was all my details, infact i double checked it with the person i took the policy with and best part, I have original Policy documents from Morethan, which lists all the right details on the policy papers, but its their system which has the wrong details.

What they have done is, from no where and without anyones consent, put 2 of my cars on my brothers name and his 3 cars on my policy file. So if you think ethically, why would I want to put my cars onto my brothers file and his on mine, or why would he do that. seems a bit stupid but well this has happened
  • JonBoy_SCFC
    Options
    ok fair enough, sounds genuine, hope it sorts out for you

(one reason one might do this if if for example your brother was older, and lower risk, then you might be able to save money on the insurance. given the same first name and surname they might think they are vulnerable to fraudulent claim details were you to have an accident?)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport