🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

'Unbelievable Tricks' by Halifax

Options
I have an internal standing order of £375 for a personal loan with the Halifax, It is due to be paid on the 15th of each month. Today (14th) I checked my account on-line and was amazed to see under recent transactions the loan amount (£375) had been deducted with the date given as the 15th!!! This has left me unable to withdraw or use my debit card today as I now have a balance of just £19, tomorrow I would have had more money going in to cover the loan.
I phoned customer services straight away, and was told it was a mistake (too right) but unfortunately there was nothing she could do other than increase my overdraft on a temporary basis. This is just not good enough. I wondered if anypne else had suffered the same 'mistake'? Apparantly it seems the Halifax are a day ahead of the rest of us!!

Comments

• coco1277_2
    Options
    My bank LLoyds do the same like my money is due in account tomorrow but went in today just after 12pm but shows tomorrows date. This is the same every week when I get paid . Dont know why .
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Options
    It's not a mistake. The money is still in your account earning interest it's just been earmarked for the payment tomorrow so you can't actually withdraw it.

All my direct debits and standing orders do this when they are due on a monday. No matter what bank either, in my experience halifax, rbs and nationwide all do this :)
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• sscott5581
    Options
    I have an internal standing order of £375 for a personal loan with the Halifax, It is due to be paid on the 15th of each month. Today (14th) I checked my account on-line and was amazed to see under recent transactions the loan amount (£375) had been deducted with the date given as the 15th!!! This has left me unable to withdraw or use my debit card today as I now have a balance of just £19, tomorrow I would have had more money going in to cover the loan.
    I phoned customer services straight away, and was told it was a mistake (too right) but unfortunately there was nothing she could do other than increase my overdraft on a temporary basis. This is just not good enough. I wondered if anypne else had suffered the same 'mistake'? Apparantly it seems the Halifax are a day ahead of the rest of us!!

I have an internal standing order to my halifax regular saver and due 15/12 but has been taken from current account and is shwowing in my regular saver, transaction date is dated 15/12. S
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Ok think about this. Had you then taken out £20 today. Then your DD come out tomorrow, will mean it will leave you -£1..... and if you don't have an overdraft this would mean charges...

I know which I would prefer.

(Also don't say, oh I would have deposited money into the account because it doesn't work like that. DDs, SOs etc are processed the morning of the date, so tonight)
  • moneysavingallday
    Options
    This is hilarious!
  • Extant
    Extant Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    This is hilarious!

Every week.
    What would William Shatner do?
  • Paul_Herring
    Options
    I have an internal standing order of £375 for a personal loan with the Halifax, It is due to be paid on the 15th of each month. Today (14th) I checked my account on-line and was amazed to see under recent transactions the loan amount (£375) had been deducted with the date given as the 15th!!!

This is SOP with all bank accounts. The money for DD's must be in your account the working day before the DD date. The money doesn't leave your account until the DD date, but the funds are reserved for it.

Would you prefer (not that you'll get any choice in the matter, no matter which bank you're with) that they didn't do this, allow you to withdraw your money, and then bounce the DD and charge you for the privilege?
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • ShelfStacker_3
    Options
    Every week.

Yeah, it just gets funnier.
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It isn't a DD ..... it's clearly stated as an SO. And Halifax pre-process the internal ones on a Sunday.

But they do not pre-process the external ones nor do they earmark funds for DDs due out on a Monday, as they run a full Batch on a Sunday night .. so an element of confusion is created. Obviously also within Halifax if they suggest it's an error, as it's standard practise ..... as anyone with an internally funded RS will see.

But this presumably has happened before, to the OP, on a weekend. And the first para of post #3 covers it.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • burnsguitarman
    Options
    I have 3 current accounts with DD and SO on each and never before in 30+ years has this happened, how can it show a transaction taking place on a date before that date has even arrived? Also If a payment was taken out and a payment was paid into the account on the same day then the account would not become overdrawn. The customer service rep who I spoke tp admitted it was a mistake and woud be reported and investigated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport