Bathroom floor?

Options
Hi,
Will be moving into our new house soon hopefully! :j
Only thing that puts me off is the carpet on the bathroom floor.
Me being a self-acclaimed germ freak thinking its very un-hygienic :eek:
I feel like just ripping it out, any ideas what i might find underneath??? lol

Won't have any spare cash, and dont wanna tile it now as we are planning to re-do the whole bathroom (but not anywhere in the near future)
So if theres a wooden floor underneath, i might just throw down some new rugs in the meantime. wont be any more hygienic, but at least i know they will be new and clean and i will feel comfortable walking barefoot in my house!

Any suggestions?
** i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay **

Comments

• ixwood
    ixwood Posts: 2,550 Forumite
    Options
    A couple of bath mats. Or some cheapo lino for now.
  • SplanK
    SplanK Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I re-floored my bathroom when we moved in as it was "wood effect" - basicly stickers which stuck to the floor - but there were huge gaps all over the place...

ripped all that up, poped down some thin plywood to cover the sticky mess then layed down some cheepish vynal flooring - £30 for 2x2m and did it myself - first time ive ever done anything like that and im quite happy with the result :)
  • spankymonkey_2
    Options
    dont B&Q do vinyl? im sure i saw it for £19.99
    spanky xx

DFW weight watchers 28lbs to lose
    lost so far 11.5 lbs
  • SplanK
    SplanK Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I got ours from carpet right - or something like that!
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Options
    Re: hygiene and rugs

I bought bathmats that are machine washable and I put em in for a wash every 4 weeks or so :)
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hang on until the January sales - end of roll pieces of vynil will be cheap as chips.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • lovethymini
    Options
    Eeeeeewww!

Carpet in the bathroom - there should be a law against that ! Totally with you on wanting to get that up, when I moved into my flat the first thing I did was rip up the carpet in the bathroom, luckily there were some good intact floorboards underneath, so with a big bathmat it was fine for three years till I got lino fitted!

Good luck in your new home :-)
  • Mander
    Mander Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    Our bathroom had carpet in it when we moved in. We ripped it up, got some hardboard to level out the floorboard, and got a cheap piece of offcut vinyl from Allied. It only took a few hours to put down and was less than £50.

Wet carpet! Ick!
  • sandstormer
    sandstormer Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wilkinsons has vinyl peel & stick down floor tiles that come in pack of six for £1.99 size 12" x 12" (30cm x 30cm ) coverage 6 sq.ft approx per pack that would tide you over for a while till you are able to sort room out as you really want it . i think they have about 4-5 types to choose from hope thats of some use to you .good luck with the house move.
  • never_enough
    Options
    If the floorboars are ok sand & varnish them. Ikea have rugs that cost next to nothing & can be flung in the machine every week or so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure