PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Hashbrown Casserole wanted

Options

Comments

• Mr_Proctalgia
    Options
    I cooked mine by "eye" too! I think it was about an hour at 180 deg C.
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    Found another recipe if you'd like to try this one as well..............

http://www.e-cookbooks.net/recipes1/01067.htm
  • Mr_Proctalgia
    Options
    Found another recipe if you'd like to try this one as well..............

http://www.e-cookbooks.net/recipes1/01067.htm

Arghhhhhhh...........Vital information missing
    What flavour crisps to use, I'm gutted now :confused:
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    this thread's really whetting my appetite, wonder if I could George Foreman it in batches? :think:
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    Swan wrote:
    this thread's really whetting my appetite, wonder if I could George Foreman it in batches? :think:

I don't think this is one for george. A nice hot Aga works well. I did mine for breakfast at work on sunday, Some nice bacon, sausages, and fresh eggs. My collegues were well happy!
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure you're right N9eav, it was a daft idea born out of desperation :rolleyes:

lucky you having an Aga, I used to have a Rayburn & I really miss it :( baked the best bread ever
  • HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    Colby cheese is like soft mild cheddar, when I tried some it was underwhelming Mozarella would be a substitute or perhaps half and half with mild cheddar.

i have always used red leicester as a replacement for colby (i'm american colby was always a favourite)

however red leicester doesn't melt very well so you may wish to do half and half... i make a slightly different version of the cracker barrel copycat

my mom always called it weekend casserole because it's supposed to last the entire weekend and just get tastier going along but it never lasted that long :rotfl:

Weekend Casserole

2 tins cream of mushroom soup
    8 oz. Red leicester or half RL and half Cheddar cheese - grated
    250-350g greek yogurt (this replaces american sour cream, your stuff here is different)
    large bag frozen hash browns (the kind that look like triangle/wedge shapes
    300g mince
    dried onion rings if you can find them (from ethinic grocers? they are deep fried then freeze dried) to taste, i use quite a few :p
    OR sautee 2 large onions until just beginning to carmelise place on baking sheet on lowest oven setting and allow to dry until crisp or put in a dehydrator

put hash browns in the oven and cook til crispy on the outside. fry the mince and drain off grease. spray some fry light or lightly grease a large baking pan. in a large bowl crumble the cooked and cooled hash browns into small pieces then mix in the drained mince. stir in both tins of cream of mushroom soup, the cheese and the greek yogurt and 3/4 of the dried onion rings. stir well.

sprinkle a little extra cheese and the remaining onion rings on top and cook until the cheese goes golden brown (this won't happen if only red leicester) or until warmed through, about 20 minutes at 200C

mmmmmmmmm

it really DOES get tastier as time goes on if you can keep from eating it before then :rotfl:
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
  • HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    N9eav wrote:
    Hands up if you have been to Cracker Barrel? Great is'nt it?:drool:

when i was living in san antonio (texas) we had one about 1/2 mile from my flat! mmmmmmmmmmmmm my maternal grandmother is from arkansas so i was already used to southern cooking, and my dad's from tennesse, just outside the smokey mountain national park so i really have southern blood... no wonder i love it ;)

sawmill gravy is very nice on biscuits (scones)

and the greens they do up are gorgeous!

mmmmmmmmmmmmm you're making me homesick but just for that restaurant :rotfl:
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    I would say this is my Cracker Barrel favourite. Well worth trying if you do get to go to the USA on holiday...

UncleHerschelBkfst.jpg
    Uncle Herschel’s Favorite®

Two Eggs cooked to order with Grits, Sawmill Gravy, Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits, real Butter and the best Preserves, Jam n’ Apple Butter (on request) we could find.
    ~plus~
    Fried Apples or Hashbrown Casserole
    ~and~
    (choice of one)
    Hickory Smoked Country Ham Grilled Pork Chop
    8 oz. Hamburger Steak Farm-Raised Catfish Fillet
    (cooked to order)
    Sugar Cured Ham Fried Chicken Tenderloin
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    I just gotTHIS in my email inbox, hopefully there are some more ideas for you to try??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport