Ash Disposal

Options
Hi, I have a multi fuel stove and am now getting a good fire going with smokeless, newspaper, kindling and then a few more bits of smokeless, problem now is how to dispose of the ash... can I chuck it on the garden or will it ruin the plants. If I can't chuck it on the garden any suggestions on how to dispose of it would be appreciated. :confused: Many thanks!

Comments

• Hello,
    The method I use, is to put the hot ash into a metal bin until it's cold, putting the lid on to stop the lose ash flying everywhere.
    I then tip in into my wheelie bin, without fear of melting it!

This is only one of many ideas you'll get,

Regards

Munchie.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Whatever you do don't put it on your garden! Woodash is fine but the ash and cinders from coal and smokeless fuel contains all sorts of nasty chemicals.

As advised, let it cool in a metal container and then put it in with the household rubbish, preferably in a black rubbish sack.

Hope than helps.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My mum used to put our ash out in the garden. Tipped alongside the coal bunker. We had nearly 1/4 of an acre though, so losing this grotty area where the coal bunker and bins were wasn't any loss. In the winter she used to chuck it out on the snow where the paths were, to stop it being trecherous.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure