Energy Direct Debit Overcharging: Reclaim Successes

edited 10 June 2010 at 4:33PM in Energy
65 replies 22.6K views
123457»

Replies

• i don't get this thread. Surely if you are overpaying, you are in credit and get a refund?
  • madnesmadnes Forumite
    49 Posts
    :money:

Martin you are a legend! Yet another letter I have sent and has done the trick!
    1st credit card charges £277.00 (MBNA) refunded and now another £100.00 and lower direct debits (EDF)
    Thanks!!

I must add, by using topcashback I got £60 cash back when I switched from Ebico to EDF.
  • nicp60nicp60 Forumite
    457 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I've spent the last few months grumbling to all and sundry about our extortionate energy costs. We were paying £120 month for dual fuel in a 2 bed terraced - double what we were paying with our last supplier.
    Finally got around to calling Scottish Power and not only did they refund the £500 we are in credit, they also slashed our DD by £70 a month - should have been more organised and done this months ago!!!
    Thanks Martin!
    Fritterati Challenge for 2013:
    £2202/£3000 saved (73%) :j
    Take lunch to work and stop frittering!

• daz501daz501 Forumite
    185 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've just rang EDF to raise a concern with my DD of nearly £200 a month for gas/elec. I said I'd recently had an EDF egineer out to change my meter from an Eco7 tariff to a standard one, but that I felt the price charged did not reflect this. I said I believe I'm being charged a capped price (seems this is true with DD, as opposed to being billed for energy usage quarterly) and he agreed. He told me I'd be sent a cheque for over £500 after my switchover is complete.

Brilliant! Helpful chap too.
  • j-jo1970j-jo1970 Forumite
    5 Posts
    I changed to UW in June 2010, but they only transferred the gas account over in Sept, and without telling me transferred the elec in Oct 2010. I was paying monthly, got no bills, and when I gave a final meter reading in April 2011 when I moved out they told me they were never charged me for any electricity. They have now given me a whopping bill of nearly £900 for Oct - end March for 6 months!
    the reason they are giving me is that they got the meter reading from British gas and have to go by that, and because I didn't know the account was changing over, I cant dispute what they are telling me. They are saying that I must have underpaid British Gas (despite them giving me a small refund for the electricity account when it switched) and for this, I must pay them!
    Can anyone help?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals