Energy Direct Debit Overcharging: Reclaim Successes

123457»

Comments

• i don't get this thread. Surely if you are overpaying, you are in credit and get a refund?
  • madnes
    madnes Posts: 49 Forumite
    :money:

Martin you are a legend! Yet another letter I have sent and has done the trick!
    1st credit card charges £277.00 (MBNA) refunded and now another £100.00 and lower direct debits (EDF)
    Thanks!!

I must add, by using topcashback I got £60 cash back when I switched from Ebico to EDF.
  • nicp60
    nicp60 Posts: 457 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I've spent the last few months grumbling to all and sundry about our extortionate energy costs. We were paying £120 month for dual fuel in a 2 bed terraced - double what we were paying with our last supplier.
    Finally got around to calling Scottish Power and not only did they refund the £500 we are in credit, they also slashed our DD by £70 a month - should have been more organised and done this months ago!!!
    Thanks Martin!
    Fritterati Challenge for 2013:
    £2202/£3000 saved (73%) :j
    Take lunch to work and stop frittering!

• daz501
    daz501 Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've just rang EDF to raise a concern with my DD of nearly £200 a month for gas/elec. I said I'd recently had an EDF egineer out to change my meter from an Eco7 tariff to a standard one, but that I felt the price charged did not reflect this. I said I believe I'm being charged a capped price (seems this is true with DD, as opposed to being billed for energy usage quarterly) and he agreed. He told me I'd be sent a cheque for over £500 after my switchover is complete.

Brilliant! Helpful chap too.
  • j-jo1970
    j-jo1970 Posts: 5 Forumite
    I changed to UW in June 2010, but they only transferred the gas account over in Sept, and without telling me transferred the elec in Oct 2010. I was paying monthly, got no bills, and when I gave a final meter reading in April 2011 when I moved out they told me they were never charged me for any electricity. They have now given me a whopping bill of nearly £900 for Oct - end March for 6 months!
    the reason they are giving me is that they got the meter reading from British gas and have to go by that, and because I didn't know the account was changing over, I cant dispute what they are telling me. They are saying that I must have underpaid British Gas (despite them giving me a small refund for the electricity account when it switched) and for this, I must pay them!
    Can anyone help?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport