Energy Direct Debits: Get money back & your payments lowered Discussion

edited 10 June 2010 at 4:36PM in Energy
326 replies 55.3K views

Replies

• With Scottish Power at mom, have been for years but they're taking the p.now. From £69 per m. dd in summer to £140 now - always send readings, now in credit for £80 and they want to increase the dd by another £20. Sent them an email yesterday telling them they cannot increase the dd, if they do I'll switch. If they do not reply, I'll cancel the dd directly with the bank a week before it's due on 31/12- that way I should owe them rather them owe me and me have to wait months to get it back. Then I'll just switch and send them a cheque for the balance. And if the next lot try the same, I'll do it with them too.
  • ...except if you cancel the DD before the bill is resolved then Scottish Power are under no obligation to let you leave. They can raise an objection and block the transfer until they are paid.
  • AHARAHAR Forumite
    984 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    I've been with Scottish Power a while and they've been fine for me so far (touch wood!)
    There haven't been any sudden changes in my monthly DD. I've just looked at my account online and I'm ~£90 in credit but I guess that's fair enough with the coldest part of the year still to come.
  • Kim
    They can only block the transfer if I refuse to pay, which I won't.
  • jblackmorejblackmore Forumite
    103 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've swapped energy suppliers frequently because of this - and have complained through energywatch and ofgem, but they are useless, and its quite clear UK energy supply is an unregulated and hugely profitable little scam, which is why they are all foreign owned, as in their own countries none of these companies can get away with half as much as they do in the UK !

August 2007 Powergen tried to increase DD 40% as cost had gone up 8% (I was £33 in credit) - refused to compromise so I switched.

Feb 08 Scottishpower tried to increase DD 43% as cost had gone up 15% - again I asked them not to, they refused, I started to switch, they then harassed me by sending me postal bills almost every other day for 2 months - Scottish power customer service was a circus, after 2 months they finally decided my bill for the last 16 days energy (since last bill) was £470 YUP NEARLY FIVE HUNDRED POUNDS - when I phoned and laughed at this they couldn't even work out how they had calculated this, ended up recalculating correct amounts myself (£2.41 gas, £2.20 elec) and SP finally credited this as a 'goodwill guesture'

Currently with EON, I agreed £50 pm and have made them stick to this (they've put it up once and put it back when I phoned them so far), I have a separate savings account I pay into every month so I can pay any excess immediately I get a bill (not been needed last 6 months and I submit meter readings online every month), so my account will always be kept in credit, but I am sure this will happen again, and I will switch again.

If anyone in the UK goverment wants a real energy regulator give me a call, as it would be so simple to fix this overnight, and fine energy companies 10% of turnover for any complaints of this nature not resolved within 14 days of customer complaint.
  • something along that line should be done, seriously. Because all the power suppliers are reading these messages and having a giggle. They all know if 20% of their customers switch and leave them, another 20% will join them having switched from their last supplier for the same reason. They'll gleefully carry on .So we're all flogging a dead horse, really.
  • eagtav wrote: »
    Kim. They can only block the transfer if I refuse to pay, which I won't.

Agreed, but the extra iteration of correspondence could end up extending your time with them by way more than a month (a couple of weeks for them to raise the objection, a couple of weeks before they receive and cash the cheque, a week for the cheque to clear, a week for them to tell the incumbent you may move, the incumbent misses their second cycle and waits for a third cycle to request the transfer again.) To speed the transfer and minimise how much money you pay them I suspect you may, unfortunately, have to swallow the hit of the new debit and wait to get the overpayment back.

Of course, stiff letters are required to voice your objection. But I don't think precipitously cancelling the direct debit will remotely inconvenience anyone other than yourself.
  • I suppose you're right. It's good to talk! It'll just be so annoying having to wait months to get the money back from them. although a threat of a small claims summons might gee them up.
  • bristolleedsfanbristolleedsfan Forumite
    10.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    eagtav wrote: »
    They all know if 20% of their customers switch and leave them, another 20% will join them having switched from their last supplier for the same reason. They'll gleefully carry on .So we're all flogging a dead horse, really.

As has been said in Post No3, if switches are carried out via a 100% Cashback site then the customer receives a tax free cashback of 40.00-62.00 ish less any additional tier 1 costs incurred for each dual fuel switch made. :j + additional advantage that their is no opportunity for the energy supplier to increase the direct debit payments basically because you arent with them for long enough for them to do it. :rotfl:
  • KimYeovil wrote: »
    ...except if you cancel the DD before the bill is resolved then Scottish Power are under no obligation to let you leave. They can raise an objection and block the transfer until they are paid.

Well, they say the proof of the pudding is in the eating and I have never been refused a switch on these grounds (and as people may know I switch very regularly), so I'm suspecting that is one of those 'rules' that is talked about by people on the internet but never actually happens in practice...
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??