🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

car insurance arghhhh!!!!

Options
last year (10th december 2007) someone bumped into on a roundabout, the damage wasnt bad but because my car was in pristine condition i wanted it fixed, we both swapped details even though he wasnt accepting liability neither was i (it was a roundabout with traffic lights he came from the right (the next junction), there were cars in front and behind me from my junction so there was no way he couldve been there if he hadnt jumped the red light)

anyway i was 3rd party fire and theft i got to work and phoned my insurance to let them know, i also phoned his company (it was a works van who hit me) and the guys insurance, both insurance companies said it because it was on a roundabout it was knock for knock. anyway because both insurance companies were taking so long and like i said the damage wasnt that bad i decided to drop the claim.

i sold my car towards the end of the policy and brought another one, my renewal was last month, ive got 6 years no claims bonus and no claims on my policy. my quote was £350 so i paid the deposit signed the contract etc etc

4 weeks later i had a letter from my current insurers who said thanks for the amendment my policy is now £900 a year, when i phoned them to explain i hadnt made any amendments they explained my last insurer told them i had 2 years no claims bonus and 1 claim on my file

i phoned my previous insurer who told me the claim was for the accident on the roundabout thats why id lost 4 years no claims bonus, and got a claim on file, i explained that i cant claim on my own poliy because i was 3rd party fire and theft, i asked how much they paid out to myself, the third party or in personal injury the said we havent paid anything, i asked how this was a claim then.

they then told me that they would contact the guys insurance company, who would contact the guy to see if he wants to put a claim in, i then asked them whats to stop they guy smashing his van up tonight and say thats what the damage caused was, the lady said he couldnt do that.

my old insurers told me that i wont be able to have the claim removed even if the guy doesnt claim, but i could get my no claims back.

im absolutlely livid with them, what do i do now?

sorry for the long post

cheers abz

Comments

• slipp_digby
    Options
    abz2009 wrote: »
    last year (10th december 2007) someone bumped into on a roundabout, the damage wasnt bad but because my car was in pristine condition i wanted it fixed, we both swapped details even though he wasnt accepting liability neither was i (it was a roundabout with traffic lights he came from the right (the next junction), there were cars in front and behind me from my junction so there was no way he couldve been there if he hadnt jumped the red light)

anyway i was 3rd party fire and theft

not sure i am following this, how were you claiming for damage to your car if you were insured third party only?
  • abz2009
    Options
    i phoned my insurers to let them know but theyve put it as a claim, which im still trying to get my head round as i was only 3rd party fire and theft

the other thing i forgot to mention, when i rang my insurers last week they said the guy has 2 years to claim, surely that cant be right?
    Quote Posts: 8,042 Forumite
    Options
    Slightly off topic: if your car was in pristine condition, why did you only insure it for TPF&T?
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i phoned my insurers to let them know but theyve put it as a claim, which im still trying to get my head round as i was only 3rd party fire and theft

the other thing i forgot to mention, when i rang my insurers last week they said the guy has 2 years to claim, surely that cant be right?

It's actually your fault for not chasing this up before you renewed your insurance. Insurance companies are only set up to deal with the norm so if something doesn't follow that pattern they will try and squeeze you into one of those boxes.

I will send you a PM which may help you.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • abz2009
    Options
    it was a saab 9-3 aero hot model id always wanted one, but could only afford to insure it 3rd party fire and theft, i actually phoned my insurer up to cancel the claim then rang back a few months later to confirm that its been removed from file, i was told i had to wait till december if the 3rd party doesnt put a claim in then it will be removed, im being told something else now by them

the other thing, that policy expired last month can the 3rd party still put a claim in even though i dont own the car any more and the policy is no longer running, and i thought that no claims bonuses would all be there until the insurers paid out?
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    it was a saab 9-3 aero hot model id always wanted one, but could only afford to insure it 3rd party fire and theft, i actually phoned my insurer up to cancel the claim then rang back a few months later to confirm that its been removed from file, i was told i had to wait till december if the 3rd party doesnt put a claim in then it will be removed, im being told something else now by them

the other thing, that policy expired last month can the 3rd party still put a claim in even though i dont own the car any more and the policy is no longer running, and i thought that no claims bonuses would all be there until the insurers paid out?

Yes. If they injured themselves and only discovered it a few months later.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • abz2009
    Options
    thanks for the reply olly and your pm, i dont see how he could claim for personal injury as i was hit from the rear so if anyone should claim (for personal injury) it should be me, how about if he tries to put a claim for damage to the van?
  • abz2009
    Options
    lol why slip_digby??
  • slipp_digby
    Options
    just seems odd to buy a car you always wanted and take such a big risk with it when it comes to insurance
  • mluton
    mluton Posts: 799 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Daft as it is, you called up to make a claim then cancelled. This is still classed as a claim in the insurance companies eyes as you have had a bump so more of a liability.

One of my friends cancelled a claim due to being able to get it fixed cheaper then his excess and the case was the same as yours, an increase on next years policy and loss of 1 years no claims.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport