PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Daily Sunday 7th Dec 08

Options
Hi, this is the Daily Thread for Sunday 7th December. It is is an ‘over the garden fence’ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone is welcome; please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!
As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.
When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “Hi everyone, hope you are all well” type start does just as well.

Morning. Very cold and frosty out there this morning. I like mornings like this.

Went shopping yesterday and found some more Christmas presents. Some good deals about if you look for them. People at work call me tight, but I am just trying to get as much as I can with my money.
Good atmosphere too and not that busy really.
I tried to get prices for a Wii, but most stores said thay had none and would not be getting any. They advised me to buy it from their on line shop as they had plenty! They wonder why the high streets are dying out there?
Still can't find a frozen turkey I want. Tesco had none, Asda had a few, apparently the stocks are coming in a bit at a time. I suppose it's still a bit early...

:snow_grin Meat deal of the day. ASDA large fresh chickens. £1.39 kg. So you get a 5lb chicken for just over £3.

Well, I shall walk the dog soon and get the paper and then church followed by roast port today. I then have to put up some Christmas lights on the outside of the house. So will be up a ladder for the afternoon. Cheers....
NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!

Comments

• catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    :hello: Morning!

Very cold here too! brr!:snow_grin

Hi N9eav - we are also looking for a good deal on a wii. We want to get the wii fit as dh will be giving up his gym membership next month, he hardly went there anyway:confused: so this could be a good alternative for us.

We are hoping to get to Costco today so must get going and produce a list. We haven't been for 6 months, we usually go every 4 months. Dreading the traffic as ours is near the lakeside shopping complex.

OS wise - I have the cake to marzipan. Sainsburys had marzipan in at £1.39 a block so I bought 2 and hopefully will have enough left over to make some marzipan fruits.

We put our old tree :xmastree: up yesterday, very early for us but we needed the cheering up!

Stay warm everyone and as stress free as you can at this time of year!

Catz x
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know if there is a good Wii deal. I think it 's a matter of find one and buy it. Tesco appears good if they have any. Play.com was £159 yesterday and today £179. Great!:mad: . I hesitated, Oh well time to put the coffee on..
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • halight
    halight Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all,

Its very cold here this morning my boiler is going flat out. And for some resion i feel warn out so i think i shall be having a nap this afternooon! :T This seems to happen a lot on a sunday! i think im turning into my dad:eek:
    Anyway twin 1 is fed but twin 2 is fast aslep still. so im just waiting forhertowake up shehas been aslepp sine abot 10 oclock ast nigt. she now dose seep through the night most nights twin 1 on theother handcan not get the hand of it!
    I open the ost yesterday and there child trust fund money has come:j so that a job for me to do laster. im going o utit in a stake holder account with faimly invertments. i happ with the risk of the account and with the stock market so low at the moment its a good time to buy for the long term.

I am going to cook my beef brislik in the slow cooker today for dinner. Im just going to use a my of water and an onion.
    When the beef is cooked i will thm make gavy wthte wate and onion. this is he fist time have red tis so i will let yo al know ow i gt on later.

Anyaway i can here twin 2 so she must be wakeing and i bettr be going
    i hope that you all hav a grate day.

Enjoyyourselfs:j :j
    :jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good morning N9eav and all who follow. N9eav - it's not being tight, it's being careful and, especially now, those who make their money really work for them will not get into as much financial trouble as those who spend like there's no tomorrow. Most people I know are being really careful this Christmas.

Smoky - lovely to hear from you. (((Hugs))) to you and the LOs. What an episode that was with the fire! I hope everything is checked and serviced and that you are soon warm and toasty in every room. Re the speech therapy; my DS1 and DIL were told that DGD needed speech therapy and none of us could see why - a few months later, the powers that be decided she didn't need it after all! She has no problems that we can see and doesn't stop talking! Are you still going on holiday to Portugal? If so, I hope you all have a much-deserved break.

PenPin - it's so good to have you back. Lots of (((hugs))) to you.

No further news about LO but I am sure your prayers and good wishes are doing their bit, so thank you all very much.

Taplady - your friend does have a lovely sense of humour, doesn't she? Lots of (((hugs))) to her.

It looks lovely and frosty here at the moment; just the sort of weather for a stroll up to the paper shop, an early roast dinner and an afternoon on the sofa with some knitting, if I can stay awake! Dinner is roast pork fillet done in the Remoska with roast potatoes, cabbage and carrots, pudding will be a piece of fruit, and tea will be plum crumble and custard. I should have done lots of baking yesterday but the house filled up with family because it was DS2's birthday (thanks for all the good wishes!), so all I managed to do was a quick flapjack - which is nearly all gone. It was a lovely day, though. DS2 made me laugh because he was describing one of the jobs he does at work (he's a mechanical engineer and tester for an aircraft company) and he sounded all grown-up and technical; he asked what I was laughing at and I had to tell him that I was thinking of 27 years ago when all he could do was cry and didn't know any words! Where does all the time go?

Well, I've 'mioliered' again so I'm off to have a shower. Hope everyone has a good day and lots of (((hugs))) to those who need them.

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    musicnote.gif.jpg
    Snow is falling
    all around me
    children playing
    having fun

it's the season
    love and understanding
    merry Christmas everyone

In my calendar today - a cracker :santa2:
    Cold and frosty here :T

I baked bread and buns yesterday, think I'll do cakes today.

Postie knocked on the door yesterday with a SD envelope, inside was £375 worth of Asda vouchers :D Mr troo and 2 others were involved in a sales promotion thing at work, they were awarded £125 each and the vouchers were delivered here. Think I'll save them for after Christmas :think: I've already started the shopping list :D

The man-troos are working today, miss troo stayed at a friend's last night so a peaceful day for me. They're all arriving home at different times :rolleyes: so I have no idea what's on the menu today. I might just shove bread and cakes under their noses as they walk through the door :D
    Bulletproof
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning all!

I havent posted on here for a llloooonng time - hope everyones okay.

Awake much earlier than a normal Sunday cos DH has gone fishing for the day :rolleyes: so made a lot of noise getting all his stuff ready, turning all the lights on etc :mad:

I'm not doing alot today, do abit more tidying and sorting out some junk. On a good note the babys room is all decorated and finished (due on 7th March) so want to get our room cleared and moved into there while our bedroom is decorated. Slightly wishful thinking I think now!

Waffle over, have a good day everyone x
  • stressedoutmumof1
    Options
    Good morning everyone

Haven't posted for absolutely ages... I've been so busy studying, but I had my exam on Wednesday so that's it no more studying for 6 weeks :j

OS has kind of fallen by the wayside, but I can now get back on track.

Just about to get started on the ironing pile, need to make a loaf of bread, clean the bathroom, and I want to gut the bedrooms ready for Christmas.

DD has a birthday party this afternoon, so I can get in her room before things start crawling out :eek:

Tea tonight will be tacos.

Might write my Christmas cards this evening.

Massive hugs to anyone who needs them.
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it :rotfl: )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now :rotfl:)
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning everyone :wave:

cold and frosty here but if the sun manages to get out it will be beautiful.

I`m being tormented by a very naughty little black cat who is eyeing the Christmas tree wih a mischievous look on her face, last night she sat underneath it with all the lights around her - she hasn`t started with the baubles yet or tried to climb it :eek:

Today is Dad`s Birthday so we shall be visiting later, i asked him for dinner but he wants to stay at home so we shall pop down this afternoon. The houndies need a walk shortly and then i shall carry on in the kitchen.
    I bottled some wine yesterday and i have some more ready to put into clean dj`s and then some more to start off. Not that we drink much of course :o

I still have a couple of Christmas presents to buy but i`ve no idea what to get so i may even pop to the shops later for inspiration. I`m always stuck for the same 2 pressies every year and they may both end up with gift vouchers again but only as a last resort.

I`m off to empty the dw and tickle the tummy of the cat who is full length on the rug on her back :D

Have a great Sunday guys.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • Squiggly_Diddly
    Options
    Morning all,

frosty & wintery looking here too.

Tru, wow what a lovely surprise having all those Asda vouchers!!!! That will help with counting the pennies after Christmas. Thank you too for giving me Shakin' Stevens to keep Cliff company in my head ;)
    N9eav, we often get "oh you'll have to go to our Brighton store".... It annoys me as it is 25 miles along the coast (& driving/parking in the centre is a nightmare, so it's easier to get the bus). What bugs me even more is that shops don't seem capable of ordering something in across from their other branches for me to collect locally. So I don't bother & go elsewhere... If they want to survive, then perhaps they should all think about customer service?!?!!
    Halight, your posts always make me smile, describing the twins. Good luck with the beef later - and enjoy your afternoon nap!!!
    Kathy, can I come for dinner?? It sounds scrumptious :)
    Catznine, my DD's were bugging me to put our decorations up yesterday, but it would drive me mad being up already. Next weekend.... However, might go & buy a tree today (I want a real one, potted with roots).
    SOMO1, I did tacos for supper for the first time the other day - really tasty & enjoyed them. Definitely to be repeated :) The taco shells could have done with being a tad bigger as everything kept falling out though...

Definitely a day for poddige with brown sugar for breakfast I think. Need to go to Mr T's (again) and get something for dinner, and really need to do some meal planning as that has slipped again & when I don't plan, I spend more!!! Find it so hard with only 3 small drawers of a freezer - although I have a big American one I need to arrange to get down here (from just inside Kent) which will then help. But I need 2 strong men & a van!!!!! (anyone know any, lol). And I have to get my kitchen radiator changed to a smaller one as it is partly in the gap where the new FF will go...

Lovely to hear from some who haven't been here for a while, hope all the other MIA's are ok. (((((hugs))))) for all the poorlies.
    Live your life until love is found, or love's gonna get you down" (credit to Mika!):p

• rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Options
    OH is taking babe out today. So I'm left in the house on my own. Plans are ironing, hoovering, washing up, washing...loads in other words. Whether I'll get it all done is another matter, but as long as I make a dent I'll be happy.

Would also like to either make some cakes or do some mince pies. Haven't decided which yet.

We went through the pressie stash yesterday. Its all pretty much organised except for about 2 people for me, and a couple for him. Well....them and him. Still can't find anything to get him. However, we had talked about a bed so I suppose that could be my pressie to him in the new year.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure