PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long does a butternut squash keep?

Options
124»

Comments

• roxiegriff
    Options
    i knew they last ages but i didnt know that they last that long, i must admit i have kept one in the fridge for about a month before and still looked as fresh as the day i bought it, but when you cut it open and use half, the other half never lasts as long
    Member #64 £2012 in 2012 challenge total so far: £714.54/£2012
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Wow, July?!

Normally a fresh BNS will start to turn to mush within a few days, yours is bound to be as tough and fibrous as a wooden log. You may try to eat it, but I personally wouldn't - you'd have better luck digesting a piece of hessian.

Butternut squashes can be kept for many months; I'm planning to eat the ones I've grown throughout the winter.
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    Options
    If it`s whole & sound on the outside it`ll be ok to use. DON`T try cutting it or you`ll risk a finger or 2.
    Bung in microwave a few minutes first, then cut it up & do whatever you fancy. I`ve had a `forgotten` BNS that sneaked off to hide (in the caravan where I store some veg) it must`ve been there THREE months. Found it, microwaved it to soften, chopped it, roasted it brushed with olive oil/balsmic vinegar plus some other `lost cause` veg to use up (tomatoes, an elderly red onion and a rubbery parsnip) then boiled em up with a stock cube, zapped with blender, the soup was one of my best remembered `when are you making That Soup again?` creations. (I did it with a shot of `Elmlea` & chopped fresh flat-leafed parsley to serve, and Iceland garlic bread, and some cold leftover sausages on a side plate.
    Butternut squash shouldn`t be in the `use by` nonsense category.
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    BNS will last months and as Emm-in-a-pickle says, BNS shouldn't be in the 'use by' nonsense category!!!

Enjoy!
  • lilrahi
    lilrahi Posts: 1,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love BNS it's one of my favourite curries, lamb with BNS awesome. The sweetness coupled with that sauce to die for.

And yep I thought pumpkins, squashes etc kept for ages because of the their skins? I remember Little House on the Prairie books they used to keep them as winter food ;)

Anyway sometimes I keep some for ages before I cook. There's always something that needs to be used up before and I think BNS will keep so kept putting it off. ATM I have a squash of some sort (dunno Mom grew it) and it's been there for a month. Still looks good.
    You'll have to speak up; I'm wearing a towel
  • mrs.butler
    Options
    Thanks all, I will attempt to make soup from it tonight. Thanks Emm-in-a-pickle for the great tip, much appreciated.
  • aplaceinthesun
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Wow, July?!

Normally a fresh BNS will start to turn to mush within a few days, yours is bound to be as tough and fibrous as a wooden log. You may try to eat it, but I personally wouldn't - you'd have better luck digesting a piece of hessian.

The butternut squash youve had must have had a damaged skin or something to allow it to turn to mush within a few days .... they really do last for AGES and AGES along with other hard skinned squashes.
  • Stephen_Leak
    Options
    BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP

Serves 2

INGREDIENTS

500g of butternut squash
    1 clove of garlic
    ½ an onion
    1½ tablespoons of oil
    ½ a tablespoon of lemon juice
    ½ a teaspoon of mixed herbs
    1 vegetable stock cube
    500ml of water
    Ground pepper to taste

METHOD

Cut the butternut squash into quarters, remove the peel and seeds, and chop it into 2cm (1 inch) pieces. Peel the garlic and cut it into quarters. Peel the onion, cut it in half, chop one half into 2cm (1 inch) pieces and save the other half.

Put the oil into a saucepan on a medium heat. Fry the garlic and onions for about 2 minutes until the onion is soft but not coloured. Stir frequently to stop it sticking.

Add the butternut squash and continue to cook for another 3 minutes. Stir frequently to stop it sticking.

Add the herbs, lemon juice, stock cube and water. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat until it is just boiling (simmering). Put the lid on the saucepan and continue to cook for another 20 minutes until the pumpkin is soft.

If you have a food processor, put the soup in it and blend it to the desired consistency. If you have a hand blender, put it in the soup and blend it to the desired consistency. If you don’t have a food processor or hand blender, use a potato masher, press the soup through a sieve with the back of a spoon, or leave it lumpy. If you used a food processor, rinse out the saucepan and put the soup back into the saucepan.

Put the saucepan on a low heat and reheat the soup gently.

Season with the pepper.

ADDITIONS & ALTERNATIVES

At Halloween, use pumpkin instead of butternut squash. Vampires should, of course, omit the garlic.

Add ¼ of a teaspoon of ground ginger, at the same time as the herbs and lemon juice.

Garnish with either a swirl of either crème fraîche, fromage frais, natural yoghurt or single cream, or a sprinkle of chopped chives or parsley.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • redlady_1
    redlady_1 Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I made HFW Spelt salad with squash and fennel last night with my very old (about the same time) squash and it was flipping lush!!! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure