PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long does a butternut squash keep?

Options

Comments

• shopndrop
    shopndrop Posts: 3,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Butternut squash and sweet potato soup, one of my favourites when they are on offer in Aldi.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As you have loads of answers and your squash seems fine, here's a link to the thread on how to use it (if you need ideas!) :) Ill merge this later

I love squash and apple curried soup although it's very sweet :)

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• mrs.butler
    Options
    Evening, embarassed to say that I have a BNS which has been hanging around my kitchen since July. It looks perfectly fine on the outside. Do you think it is still edible, or should it be slung in the bin asap?!!

Thanks In Advance.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Wow, July?!

Normally a fresh BNS will start to turn to mush within a few days, yours is bound to be as tough and fibrous as a wooden log. You may try to eat it, but I personally wouldn't - you'd have better luck digesting a piece of hessian.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just made soup with one that i bought in August, if it's ok on the outside it will be fine inside. Squashes last for months, i've never known one go soft.
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You've beaten me, mrs.butler - I've got one from the beginning of October which makes me feel guilty every time I go in the kitchen. :o I'd try cutting into it - as long as it's not really dry or going mushy it should be fine, at least for a soup or stew - like meer53 I've never known a BNS to go off, no matter how long I leave it.
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We generally keep ours for ages so Im sure it'll be fine :0)
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • taxsaver
    taxsaver Posts: 620 Forumite
    Options
    Likewise... I've often had one 'lurking' in my kitchen (well fridge usually) looking accusingly at me whenever I see it! Whenever I eventually succumb and tackle it, it has been just fine.... well delicious really.
    If you feel my comments are helpful then I'd love it if you 'Thanked' me! :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    we have 16 more just sitting on shelves in a cool room. They are absolutely fine. The skin hardens and protects them
  • msb5262
    msb5262 Posts: 1,619 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, I agree with the posters who have said it'll be fine.
    This is one reason that squash was a brilliant food in 19th century North America - - it keeps amazingly well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure