Running costs of storage heaters - help please!

Options
I’d be grateful for some advice about the running costs of storage heaters.

I’m in the process of having two Dimplex Duoheat storage heaters installed in my property. Am I right in thinking that as each storage heater has an ‘input acceptance’ charge of approx 14kw, each heater will use a maximum of 14kw of electricity over the whole of the 7 hour Economy 7 period? i.e. a maximum of 14 units of electricity over the Economy 7 period? Also, if I set the input acceptance setting at halfway the heaters will consume approx 7kw or 7 units of electricity over the Economy 7 period and so on?

Does anyone have experience of using Duoheat storage heaters? The storage heaters feature a low wattage radiant panel which apparently work in conjunction with the stored heat to maintain a constant temperature. As I’m out during the day and don’t return home until early evening, would it make sense to set the background or input acceptance charge setting at the highest level, but set the comfort or radiant heat setting at the lowest level thereby using predominantly the stored heat? Although Dimplex recommend setting both sources of heat at the same level would I not be in danger of using peak electricity during the day? Perhaps I am missing something here!

I’d be grateful for any advice!

Thank you

Comments

• paceinternet
    Options
    I can't comment on your model, but most storage heaters release some heat during the E7 charging period. Often just by radiating from the unit as they cannot be 100% insulated. This will be at a cost: how much ? you need to ask the supplier, but if it was 0.5kw per hour, that would be about 0.5 * 7hrs * 5p = 17.5p per night.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure