New kitten....questions & advice (merged)

Options

Comments

• spookylukey
    Options
    As others have said, sounds perfectly normal :)
    It's also hilarious when they do their "scary" faces and walk round in a circle and hit each other really slowly! It's very funny to watch!

Made me laugh! My two do the 'scary' faces and slow circling too before the outrageous paw tap on the head or sometimes try to bite the toes on the back foot of the 'victim' :D
  • pbfhpunk
    pbfhpunk Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    I had 2 female kittens up until they were about 5 and they founght daily but wee v protective of them, the smaller one used to squeal which I hated and there used to be clumps of fur but they never did any damage to each other it wasn't serious, fur not up, ears not back that kinda thing.

What I loved was when they'd be fighting and one would be on top of the other, biting her head then just start licking her head an purring then they'd go to sleep!

I miss having cats, chickens aren't the same!

H
    Hell yeah!!
  • amylou8
    amylou8 Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    My partner and I went to collect a kitten last night (7 weeks old), when we got round to the womans house the kitten was being kept in a welsh dresser (with loads of rubbish) and there were 3 rottwielers in the house. The woman did not give us much information about the kitten and was very vague.

When we got home the kitten ran and hid which I expected but she didn't come out from under the book case all evening. We went to bed and got up this morning and noticed she had eaten all of her food and used the litter tray but she was back under the book case, I am worries that she has been traumatised and wondered if anybody has any tips on how best to deal with her, I expected her to be shy but I think this is going to be more than her being nervous by new surroundings.

She is a lovely little thing and I just want to make sure that she is ok! Any tips on how to make her realise that she is safe would be much appreciated!
  • loulou_1984
    Options
    Hello

I bought a kitten from a pet shop once, she was tiny, and quivering in the corner. She was such a cutie and I knew she was the right one for us.

For the first week, she'd hide whenever possible, normally under the sofas, and she would poo under there. It wasn't solid either.... :o

Anyway, you just need to spend as much time with her as possible, cuddling her and stroking her. If she's eating and using the litter tray, she's probably just a bit apprehensive. If you give her lots of love, she'll eventually find her favourite places in your home to relax and sleep and will feel more comfortable. Have you bought her a cat bed yet? A nice fur-type material lined ones always works, and put it near to where she's hiding so she feels safe in it. No specific tips really other than that, give her lots of love and time.

edited to say: she turned out to being the most loving cat, adorable and friendly.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Give her time :) She's somewhere new and you're strangers to her so yes being scared is normal :)
    I'd try to coax her out with some VERY yummy food if possible and just be in the same room as her as much as possible for now... eventually she'll come round to the idea that you're actually nice and fun and not all that scary!
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Time is what she needs.

Talk gently to her every time you are in the room, so she gets to know your voice.

She is in a new house with different smells and noise.

Also get her to the vets to be checked over / wormed / jabed

Good luck
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • angellotz
    angellotz Posts: 742 Forumite
    Options
    our kitten did exactly the same :) she got braver and braver - she used to hide under the tv unit. first of all she'd do a really quick lap of the living room, then 2, then 3 and so on. she was just nervous, being in a new place with new people.
    Wins since June: iPod shuffle 1gb, Samsung g800, cinema ticket, lush retro giftbox, 2x mp3 downloads, a big box of food (???)
  • diabhal
    Options
    Hand feeding is a good idea. And you might want to try Feliway - it's a pheromone spray which puts cats at ease. You can get it fom vets or ebay.
  • bundance
    bundance Posts: 1,114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Somewhere to hide, for privacy when she needs it.
    Litter tray. If kitty wee or poo anywhere other than the tray, wash immediately with surgical spirit, as this gets rid of the smell. If traces of the smell are still there, kitty will go back there and do her dodo's. Make the litter tray.
    Get her a scratch post, as she will need this.
    Also, ping pong balls to play with, she will adore these, and you may need loads.
    Have a google for things like 'takiing in new kitten' there may even be youtube videos to watch.

Let the kitty come to you when she is ready. It will happen gradually.
    Good luck
  • LittleMissAspie
    Options
    It's quite normal for cats to hide for days or even weeks in a new home. It's great that she's eating well and using her tray, so I wouldn't be too worried. You could try tempting her out with some food and just talk to her softly. If she seems stressed then leave her alone for a while to calm down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure