Higher postage for PayPal buyers?

Options
I have started insisting that PayPal buyers use a trackable postal service such as Royal Mail Special Delivery. By offering postage at the regular rate for people who wish to pay without using PayPal, hopefully I will save a few bob in PayPal fees. Anyhow PayPal insist on online tracking if you are to have any chance of avoiding chargebacks.

All eBayers should charge PayPal buyers higher rate postage as it is in PayPals terms and conditions that a seller use an online trackable service for proof of delivery, if you don't they can refund buyers and you are out of pocket.

Comments

• nightswimmer
    nightswimmer Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Trouble is, a lot of buyers would rather just buy from a different seller, than not have the convenience of PayPal. :(
  • Jellicle
    Jellicle Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    Trouble is, a lot of buyers would rather just buy from a different seller, than not have the convenience of PayPal. :(
    AND payer higher postage
  • nightswimmer
    nightswimmer Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Jellicle wrote:
    AND payer higher postage

:doh: Oh yeah, that too. ;)
  • slowen
    slowen Posts: 2,795 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have 408 feedbacks on ebay and have had no chargebacks or items that have gone missing in the post (touch wood) and as other posts buyers would not want to pay higher postage rates when they could go to another seller who offers cheaper postage and you could still get problems with the special delivery service i.e. buyer says item arrived broken then you have to claim through Royal Mail so it is swings and roundabouts.

If I sell an item of high value on ebay I offer various methods off shipping i.e 1st Class post, 1st class parcels, recorded delivery and special delivery and I make the buyer aware that if they choose basic postage without any insurance I won't be held responsible for anything lost or damaged and encourage them to use the insured method of postage for extra guarentee
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    slowen wrote:
    If I sell an item of high value on ebay I offer various methods off shipping i.e 1st Class post, 1st class parcels, recorded delivery and special delivery and I make the buyer aware that if they choose basic postage without any insurance I won't be held responsible for anything lost or damaged and encourage them to use the insured method of postage for extra guarentee

You should always make sure you have proof of delivery with a paypal sale of any value, IE at least recorded delivery. Otherwise a buyer could fraudulently raise a complaint of non shipment with paypal and you will loose by default if you cannot provide the proof of delivery
  • cougar_3
    cougar_3 Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    I found that out to my expense. I had proof of postage but not delivery for an international item that someone had chosen not to have insurance on. Recorded costs £4 for international post.

The almighty and wise Paypal ruled against me :(
  • Tight_Old_Git
    Options

I offer my buyers PayPal but now insist they pay for postage which is trackable as per PayPal agreement, my buyers have the choice how they pay but ultimately will pay higher postage if they want to use PayPal.
  • dastephens
    Options
    I'v had no problems up to now and I'v sold over 800 items in the last 3 years. I ALWAYS get a proof of posting slip which basically means that if the person does not receive their item within 15 working days you can claim the money back from the Royal Mail. I also offer to fully refund buyers in all my listings if their item failed to arrive. (I would then submit claim with proof of posting slip - which up to now I have not had to do!)

I always treat people how I expect to be treated myself!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,314 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dastephens wrote:
    I'v had no problems up to now and I'v sold over 800 items in the last 3 years. I ALWAYS get a proof of posting slip which basically means that if the person does not receive their item within 15 working days you can claim the money back from the Royal Mail. I also offer to fully refund buyers in all my listings if their item failed to arrive. (I would then submit claim with proof of posting slip - which up to now I have not had to do!)

I always treat people how I expect to be treated myself!

I do the same. I rarely use recorded as it just means I lose more when my item doesn't arrive, instead I send everything under £30 with a COP and just reclaim from the PO.It has been my personal experience that I have lost more recorded delivery items than standard mail..so I have to refund anyway as tracking only works if you can prove delivery.

In over 2000 sales I've never had a chargeback, I've had some packages lost which I have refunded regardless of how the person paid (I don't treat my cheque payers any different to my paypal payers).

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • talksalot81
    talksalot81 Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    Options
    I now have got to insisting on expensive postage methods, you just cant afford not to with paypal.

For anyone who puts a disclaimer into their acution saying they will not accept responsibility of the insured option is not taken, this really is a waste of time. Like others have said, if you cannot prove delivery (proving postage is of course no good except for claiming from RM), paypal will ALWAYS rule against you. This is irrelevant of what your terms and conditions were because you agreed to paypal's terms and they over rule your own.
    2 + 2 = 4
    except for the general public when it can mean whatever they want it to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure