We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Prepaid Cards Guide Discussion Area

Options
145791052

Comments

  • Thanks Glitter Monkey for taking the time to reply to my post.
    The best thing I think I would need to do is to contact the main car hire companies myself and ask this question directly.
    However, according to you, knowing that the car hire would cost on special offer say £59.90 plus petrol,cdw, etc., then if I were to pre load my card with £150 then this should be sufficient to cover the cost. I would only use the card specifically for hiring a car and not for anything else. As you know, car hire companies refuse cash at the start of a rental. They require a guarantee that they will be paid. After taking the car, I would then reload the card and use it and on my return, pay either using the card or pay cash.
    Thanks again for your reply.
  • dollydoodah
    dollydoodah Posts: 722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Glitter Monkey for taking the time to reply to my post.
    The best thing I think I would need to do is to contact the main car hire companies myself and ask this question directly.
    However, according to you, knowing that the car hire would cost on special offer say £59.90 plus petrol,cdw, etc., then if I were to pre load my card with £150 then this should be sufficient to cover the cost. I would only use the card specifically for hiring a car and not for anything else. As you know, car hire companies refuse cash at the start of a rental. They require a guarantee that they will be paid. After taking the car, I would then reload the card and use it and on my return, pay either using the card or pay cash.
    Thanks again for your reply.

    Bear in mind though that they will often also pre-authorise the excess which would be payable in the event of an accident. This has certainly been the case whenever we have hired a car so make sure that you ask that question.
  • gymbumm
    gymbumm Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all :A
    OK in February of this year, after seeing on MSE, I applied for the Cashplus MC. I paid online, well, my son paid for me from his LloydsTSB bank account. I have also submitted requested documents signed verifying who I am blah blah.
    I received a barcoded letter and confirmation of a security code etc.
    I called yesterday but the head office was closed when I called so, I called again today as to date, no card has arrived and I'm £14.90 out of pocket.
    I have spoken to Gabriela/Sian/Stephanie so far but have been informed today that at HO they cannot see my payment having been made! :mad::mad: I emailed a copy of the online bank transaction showing the money having been taken for APS and have yet to hear back.
    Any help or advice or anything would be really appreciated right now ;)
    GB :A
  • Don9366
    Options
    OK here the problem im off to see my mate in Dubai (great plenty of sun) but i dont have a credit card i have a hsbc solo (debt card) i need to hire a car so what options do i have i dont want to get there and find they refuse me at the hire desk is there any hire companies that take these prepaid cards i am of the understanding that they swipe the cards to check your id ?Thanks
  • sieve
    sieve Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Options
    Don9366 wrote: »
    OK here the problem im off to see my mate in Dubai (great plenty of sun) but i dont have a credit card i have a hsbc solo (debt card) i need to hire a car so what options do i have i dont want to get there and find they refuse me at the hire desk is there any hire companies that take these prepaid cards i am of the understanding that they swipe the cards to check your id ?Thanks

    Yes, the cashplus card will let you do car hire but once you get the card you need to call them up to activate the car hire part of it - it's not enabled by default but a 30 second phone call will sort that out :)

    Link: https://www.mycashplus.co.uk

    Cheers,

    S
    BR 08/04/09 | ED 02/10/09 :grin: | BSC 255
    I made it through! :grin:
    Don't ignore a problem. Unlike a bad smell, it won't eventually go away.
  • sieve
    sieve Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Options
    gymbumm wrote: »
    Hello all :A
    OK in February of this year, after seeing on MSE, I applied for the Cashplus MC. I paid online, well, my son paid for me from his LloydsTSB bank account. I have also submitted requested documents signed verifying who I am blah blah.
    I received a barcoded letter and confirmation of a security code etc.
    I called yesterday but the head office was closed when I called so, I called again today as to date, no card has arrived and I'm £14.90 out of pocket.
    I have spoken to Gabriela/Sian/Stephanie so far but have been informed today that at HO they cannot see my payment having been made! :mad::mad: I emailed a copy of the online bank transaction showing the money having been taken for APS and have yet to hear back.
    Any help or advice or anything would be really appreciated right now ;)
    GB :A

    How did you pay, with your son's debit card or did you take the fee to the post office and pay them by presenting the bar coded letter and then handing over the cash?
    BR 08/04/09 | ED 02/10/09 :grin: | BSC 255
    I made it through! :grin:
    Don't ignore a problem. Unlike a bad smell, it won't eventually go away.
  • nt1
    nt1 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Can anyone help me get information regading the babee pre pay mastercard for mums to be?
  • sieve
    sieve Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Options
    nt1 wrote: »
    Can anyone help me get information regading the babee pre pay mastercard for mums to be?

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=babee+prepay+mastercard

    Top link.
    BR 08/04/09 | ED 02/10/09 :grin: | BSC 255
    I made it through! :grin:
    Don't ignore a problem. Unlike a bad smell, it won't eventually go away.
  • Sam._6
    Options
    Travelex cash passport.

    Recently i was conned into taking one of these criminal cards away with me.

    I was fooled by the sales person telling me I would recieve my money commision free.

    I was not told of any of the charges or terms and conditions & just handed a sealed envelope & told everything i needed was inside.

    Are there any rules/regualtions that these companies have to abide by when selling you these cards?
  • ness1402
    ness1402 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I have a basic bank account - no switch card, no credit card - and am trying to apply for a pre-paid credit card. However, every time I try to apply I am asked for my credit or debit card details. Neither of which I have! Is there any way around this? Seems a bit odd - if I already had a credit or debit card I wouldn't be applying in the first place!!!!!:confused:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards