Ie7

Options
2»

Comments

• mightywhites29111971
    Options
    I have tried the above and it will not install in safe mode. It tells me to go the the tools menu and click windows update, but all the menu's still do not work.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Firstly,

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and Click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) or if that is not available try;

Start > Run and type without quotation marks " C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff "

This will envoke IE7 with no extras loaded, a form of 'safe mode'. This will give you an indication whether there is any form of active x or other control that is causing a problem.

If that doesn't work then;

Have you got your Windows XP CD?

If so, this should be done;

Click Start > Run and type without quotation marks " sfc /scannow "

It will check the integrity of your Windows System Files and it will restore any that it finds are corrupt or otherwise non functioning.

When you say you are getting a blank screen, does that mean when you type in an address, IE7 does nothing, or does the Window hang and become non responsive?

Edit: There is a possibility you may need to reinstall SP3 if sfc restores any files. It keeps a cache of the most recent approved files, but it may be necessary to reinstall incase it cannot use an SP3 updated file and reverts to a previous version.
  • mightywhites29111971
    Options
    Tried the IE with no add-ons and it the same as previous efforts. Tried the next without quotations and a message states that I am trying to get to a location that is unavailable. When I get a blank screen, if I type an e-mail address a pop up box appears stating with an 'x' mark that the website is unavailable. When I go to the menus it lets me select an option but does not respond to it. It does not hang. The only time it does hang is when I try to close it. It then becomes non-responsive and have to go into task manager to close it down. The laptop is an Acer 1640z and has it's own in-built restore. It did not come with a CD. I installed SP3 when it first came out and it worked fine after that. Could there be any problems even after this amount of time?
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had an issue with IE7 just hanging with a blank pages SOMETIMES. Un-installed IE7, reinstalled WITHOUT adding the Google Toolbar & it is now reliable.
  • mightywhites29111971
    Options
    I have googled this as well, and still cannot find anything. Is it possible to completely uninstall IE and then re-install it? Would this cause any problems?
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Add/Remove Programs, if you un-install IE7 you will automatically be left with IE 6. Then you can download and re-install latest IE7 it's a doddle.
  • FreheitOverture
    Options
    Why can't you just use Firefox or Safari? Both are faster than IE anyway
  • mightywhites29111971
    Options
    I do use firefox. It was only when I wanted to do some driver updates that I could only use IE. I have uninstalled IE7 as far as you can, so now I am left with IE6, but I still have the same problem. I thought maybe a complete uninstall may sort this out.
  • mightywhites29111971
    Options
    Well I un-installed again and re-installed and now it works! Did nothing different, strange. Thanks for all your help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure