ISA set up before certificate

Options
If I open a ISA now online and fund it with some money,can I then wait for my ISA certificate to come from the FSCS(from Icesave claim), so I can fund it with that money that was already put into my ISA.Would this cause problems?Im opening the ISA with my current account holder Halifax.Hoping to get the fixed rate befpre Monday.

Comments

• Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    If you've already subscribed to your Icesave ISA in the current tax year, the Halifax one would be void, as it would be the second Cash ISA to which you have subscribed in the same tax year.

You would need to wait for the certificate and then transfer the Icesave ISA funds to a different provider.
  • hyposmurf
    Options
    I've now applied for the ISA.Could I have it set up but not funded until my certificate comes through.Maybe itll take too long.Gutting that I cant take advantage of whats available until this certificate comes through.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    hyposmurf wrote: »
    I've now applied for the ISA.Could I have it set up but not funded until my certificate comes through.Maybe itll take too long.Gutting that I cant take advantage of whats available until this certificate comes through.

Others are saying that they have been given 60 days to fund it.
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    As jem16 says, others have reportedly opened the account by phone with no deposit and have been given 60 days to fund it via the Icesave certificate.
  • hyposmurf
    Options
    I opened mine online today,so maybe I'll ring them tomorrow and see what they say.Hope Im aloud o fund it later on.Also hope I'll be offered the rate that is on offer today when I attempted to open the fixed rate ISA.
  • napoleon
    Options
    Baldur wrote: »
    As jem16 says, others have reportedly opened the account by phone with no deposit and have been given 60 days to fund it via the Icesave certificate.
    Which provider have they opened the new ISa with? Halifax?
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, we have opened one with Halifax, fixed rate, you get the rate on the day you apply. Our daughter has also opened one. We were told we had 60 days to fund it, daughter was told 60 days to fund, but only 30 days to submit certificate from FSCS.......we are confused!
  • Vectra
    Vectra Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I opened mine online today,so maybe I'll ring them tomorrow and see what they say.Hope Im aloud o fund it later on.Also hope I'll be offered the rate that is on offer today when I attempted to open the fixed rate ISA.

Let us know what they say if you ring tomorrow
  • Banderman
    Options
    The interest rate on the fixed rate ISA bond is 5% today. Does anyone know what it was yesterday. Or has there been no change?
  • KingL
    KingL Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    Options
    5.25% upto 30k, 5.75% thereafter (1 year)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure