PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

December 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Hi all

Just updating spends - now £86.54 out of £180 - doing ok (I hope!), need to pick up a few bits at the weekend (from next week's money) and then hope nothing other than bread and milk until the New Year!

Merry Christmas to you all, and a money saving New Year!!

Coolmum. xx
    Debt at 2nd LBM (!) Jun 08 £8,435 - hm, let's not go there!!
    DFW Nerd - 721 / DFW Long Hauler 4 / DFD - ASAP!!
    Sealed pot challenge - member 336 - £200 target
  • Hi Everyone just popped in to update. Unfortunately done an on-line shop for tesco's and went to Iceland and MrS and have gone over budget. It was always going to be tight.
    Good luck to everyone & Merry Christmas if I don't come on line in the next week.
    2024 Decluttering 3273 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
  • Not sure if I'm going to make it this month, only got about 26.00 left, went to MrA today for a few bits spent 99.00 didn't get much for that either.

Slightly off topic but me and OH have 4 children between us we usually give them 100.00 each and a sack/bag of pressies, I have suggested lowering this to 50.00 but OH won't hear of it, xmas is going to put a serious dent in our savings. Back on topic he has really embraced the concept of meal planning, OH gets in from work before me and starts dinner he says he loves knowing what to cook without having to spend time thinking up something for us to eat.

I'm going to really try and stick to the money i've got left I also have 20.00 vouchers for Iceland so that will help out a bit.
    Be kinder than necessary because we do not know the battles that someone else may face

A103, A210, U211, EA300, Y163, AA316, DSE141, A300 = BA (Hons):T
    A815 MA (current)
  • TheBees
    TheBees Posts: 601 Forumite
    Hi everybody - just popped on to say that TheBees are going away for Christmas so our December challenge finishes here. To be honest we've all been ill with nasty colds and with getting ready for our holiday have not had time to post on here. However I think we would have been on target as we've been very sensible this month.:j

Happy Christmas everyone. We'll definitely be joining in properly in January.:D
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    merry christmas everyone - just under one week to go now!!! :rudolf:

Im calling it a day for december as to be honest I have completely lost the plot. I had a huge shop delivered last month which was *meant to be it* but since then, I have had Asda deliver (about £140 odd) and just a week later Mr T (another £100). these two shops alone took me over my budget :confused: I had Mr T deliver because I was e-mailed a half price delivery voucher and my cat needed cat food but a few clicks and my order managed to top £100. Ive also not been keeping a proper record of all those little spends and ensuring I keep all my receipts.

my chest freezer is completely full and there is little room left in my inside freezer but I do have some nice treats so am really hoping that come January I can get this grocery challenge cracked once and for all and hope that come the end of Jan, I will be able to see the bottom of my chest freezer.

I am setting my budget for January at £111. It might be a bit early to post my budget for next month but this is the sum I have decided on. I think this can be achieved especially if I just buy the basics each week, potatoes, fresh veg / fruit / milk, eggs, cat food, loo roll.

enjoy xmas everyone and happy grocery challenge for 2009 :D
  • rachelmk wrote: »
    Hi Sparkly
    Your soup sounds yummy - could you post the recipe please?
    Thanks!

It is on the back of the moroccan seasoning mix pack (it is called "reason to season" - available in the spice section at Asda)
    From memory you need 2 sticks of celery, two onions which you fry until soft and translucent and then add the spice mix to it. Coat the veg well. Then you add a tin of tomatoes and a tin of drained chickpeas and some stock (chicken or veg - I think about a litre). Simmer for a short while and then add frozen soya beans (once I added some fresh green beans that were past their best), simmer for a few minutes and then add chopped coriander a minute or so before serving. If you click on the link I've given you will see the ingredients - I may try and make my own mix up some time so it doesn't have the "fillers" but this is very convenient to have in.

I'll edit the recipe when I get hold of another packet :)

Sparkly
  • Kiwisaver_2
    Kiwisaver_2 Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    Well that's me done for the end of the year, last shop for December today came in at $111.98 including a cheeky bottle of wine on special for $10 and a few Christmas nuts and sweeties.

At the end of the day I didn't do so bad, had I stuck with my usual $120 a week budget I would just have scraped in under the $360 mark. :T

With all good intentions I am also pleased to report that the last item on my till receipt for 2008 was a $5 Christmas Club stamp for next year. :D

Merry Christmas to you all, I'm already looking forward to new challenges next year.
    Mortgage
    Start January 2017: $268,012
    Latest balance $266,734
    Reduction: $1,278.45
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    gailey wrote: »
    Moniker you having chicken instead of turkey?
    As im contempeplating tnat as could afford gammon joint or some lamb then as well.

Yes, none of us is really keen on turkey and as DD2's fiance is Muslim we obviously can't eat pork! I live in a village miles from the nearest supermarket or shop selling Halal meat so buy organic free range for him instead which is apparently acceptable when there is no alternative. As an organic free range turkey would cost an arm and a leg and we aren't that keen on it we are having chicken. Actually I have bought two largish ones costing £9 each from the supermarket. Another advantage is that you don't have to cook them for hours, so it saves on fuel too! We will be having mini sausages in bacon rolls but cooked separately rather than with the meat as we normally do.

About to start my big cook in - have the watercress soup, croissants and mince pies to tackle! Still as we are going to a retirement party this evening I won't have to cook a dinner tonight so that's something.

Have a good day everyone.

Moniker
  • oligeo
    oligeo Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Post
    Grrr, I've got the dreaded flu. I've just had to do an online shop with MrT, its coming tomorrow, as I don't have the energy to go to lots of shops to save money. I think I'll still be in budget though.

Sarah
  • dink1
    dink1 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Hi GUys,

Can't believe I only went in for a turkey and sprouts at asda and came out with way too much food, totally blown budget, would like to blame it on horrid flu bug, but that is no such excuse. I know its only a target but I still feel down about it. Still am gonna go away and meal plan for January and try harder. (sounds Like a news years resolution coming on lol) I am not going near the shops til january! I have everything I need.....Dink:o
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50 :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport