McAfee Virusscan

Options
I'm in dispute with McAfee over my anti-virus and firewall subscription.

I took this out in May 2003 - just the online Virusscan. Very pleased with it.

In Dec 03 they emailed me offering a great deal (half-price) on their Firewall if I renewed early. I took up this offer and paid by CC. Note that at this point my virusscan sub had 5 months still to run.

In April 04 they debited my CC for my Virusscan sub, even though they'd taken this in Dec03 when I renewed early. I complained and was refunded promptly.

In Dec 04 they again debited my CC for my new Virusscan/ firewall 'bundle'.

This wrote to me last month pointing out my sub was about to expire, so I wrote back pointing out that my Virusscan sub ran May to May, not Dec to Dec. I asked them to clear up the confusion and bring my subscription properly into synch, which it hadn't been since my early renewal in Dec 03.

They have replied to my emails but ignored my point and have now disabled my Viruscan and Firewall. Fair enough about the firewall - that sub ran out on 31.12.05 - but my Viruscan should run till May! I have written requesting a refund for the 5 month cancelled sub, and have received this reply:

"We can no longer provide you a prorated refund for your subscription. Please be advised that we were unable to add the remaining time left on your McAfee VirusScan to your McAfee Web Essentials. They are two different kind of subscriptions."

I have retained their email offer and quoted it at them. Nowhere does it say they'd be unable to "add the remaining time left on your McAfee VirusScan to your McAfee Web Essentials".

It just says:
"Virusscan early renewal special.

Get our finest Firewall at 50% off when you renew your Virusscan subscription".

I did just that and have lost almost half of the year I'd already paid for. And they are refusing to refund me.

Any advice? This is a US company so I can't exactly threaten them with Trading Standards, can I?

Comments

• mike_the_bike_2
    Options
    well on the virus front..why pay for Anti Virus software when for a private individual AVG provide an excellent product absolutely free!

Zone alarm is also a free Firewall product..

I've been using both for over two years and have had no probs on the virus/firewall areas
    The Early bird may catch the worm ...but its the second mouse that gets all the cheese!
  • slowen
    slowen Posts: 2,795 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Myself I also use Sone Alarm but I back it up with Norton anti Virus software which I have just been stung for £25 for renewal for 12 months worth of protection. Not to bothered about the cost as Norton has always kept my PC safe and if anything has appeared on the PC it has removed it, I got Kaspersky Antivirus software with my PC which was cr@p and if you got a virus it could not remove it and said your PC was infected
  • intel
    intel Posts: 6,404 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    Options
    Agreed, don't pay for McAfee bloatware - get 'free for personal use' products :)
    I gave up McAfee when version 6 decided to block lots of apps on my PC and slowed it down to a crawl.

Also, don't set up CPAs on your credit card (where you agree to a company taking regular payments like subscriptions). These can only be cancelled by the company and you have no consumer protection. Direct Debit is much safer if you can use it. If you can't use Direct Debit, just do one off payments yourself. If the rogue company then grabs another unauthorised payment from your credit card, you can get a refund from your credit card company.
  • allycat999
    allycat999 Posts: 396 Forumite
    Options
    well on the virus front..why pay for Anti Virus software when for a private individual AVG provide an excellent product absolutely free!

Zone alarm is also a free Firewall product..

I've been using both for over two years and have had no probs on the virus/firewall areas

Yes I agree both good products and free. I would never pay for antivirus or firewall as both are freely available. If you don't like the above two check out the pcadvisor site they will recommend more.
  • Backbiter
    Backbiter Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    thanks for your suggestions of free protection. I've been happy with McAfee and feel secure with their daily updates. I just feel ripped off.

This is their reply:

"Thank you for contacting McAfee.

To ensure you have a positive experience in purchasing or renewing, we can provide you with a toll free number. Please call McAfee Customer Support at (866) 736-3971, Monday-Friday, 8AM?8PM CST. Our fax number is (972) 963-7485.

Note: This toll free telephone number is only available to customers calling from within the U.S. and certain areas of Canada."

Brilliant. To argue for my relatively small refund I have to phone the USA. I'm sure that would be a positive experience.
  • RedOnRed
    RedOnRed Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For anti virus I use NOD32 , which has the best anti virus detection rate around.

I've also been using Zone Alarm for years now, but if you are using a decent router you probably don't need a software firewall anymore.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Remember that a virus detector is only useful if it is kept up to date. The number of people I see that have not updated their virus detectors for several months and then wonder how they got something on their machine (usually criticising the software). AVG is reasonable although its detection rate is not the best.

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • humfer
    humfer Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    Options
    Recommend AVG for virus scan and Zone Alarm for firewall - both free

Zonealarm link below....I'll post AVG link in a bit

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=GB&lang=en&lid=dbtopnav_zass
  • humfer
    humfer Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    Options
    humfer wrote:
    Recommend AVG for virus scan and Zone Alarm for firewall - both free

Zonealarm link below....I'll post AVG link in a bit

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=GB&lang=en&lid=dbtopnav_zass

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport