PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Moneywasting

Options

Comments

• rach
    rach Posts: 5,476 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    something else you can do is take them to the local night shelter / salvation army / homeless project, as people who are homeless really struggle for this kind of thing. the other thing these places are desparate for are socks, as when feet get wet and cold its not a nice thing and can lead to serious problems for homeless people.
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010:j
  • bargainqueen_2
    Options
    Halloween see my problem is I have six pairs of trainers (but only 2 feet), loads of shoes that looked so nice but I can't even sit with them on never mind walk, and then all those shoes that I used to wear and just can't separate from.... I think it's great to donate all the toiletries, as my mum always forces hers on me so combined we could probably keep the local hospital going for months. Does anyone have a tip on how to force yourself to give/throw away all those things they haven't worn/used for years yet they always get spared during clearouts? I need to seriously reduce my belongings but always get heartbroken when I'm actually trying to give things away, so any advice on how to force myself would be appreciated!
    Three years, six months, three weeks, 13 hours, 48 minutes and 30 seconds. 26011 cigarettes not smoked, saving $11,704.80. Life saved: 12 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 35 minutes.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does anyone have a tip on how to force yourself to give/throw away all those things they haven't worn/used for years yet they always get spared during clearouts? I need to seriously reduce my belongings but always get heartbroken when I'm actually trying to give things away, so any advice on how to force myself would be appreciated!
    I saw a tip on a tv prog this week - to get a friend to do it with you - cos they won't be as sentemental as you about your things.

I got better about slinging stuff after reading the book The Life Laundry (from the tv show)
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you really can't bear to part with stuff try bagging/boxing it up so that it's out of your regualr wardrobe. Hid the bag away in a cupboard or the loft & diarise to get it out in 6 months or whatever. If in those 6 months you feel the need to re-claim anything back out of it, either to wear or beacuse you can't be away from it (!) then fine, but if you don't on the diary date just lug the bag to the chairty shop without re-opening it, you haven't missed anything so far so you can get rid of it without fear!

(By the way I still have the top I wore on my first date with my now husband, can't possibly part with it, it's tucked away at the bottom of a drawer. I think it's OK to keep a few sentimental things, just not loads!)

HTH ;)
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    Made a cushion years ago using some old jumpers,it fell to bits and my daughter now wears one of the jumpers :)
    I used to save old clothes in the loft in a bin bag for mending/making etc.We went up there for a rummage and she pounced on an old fur lined coat I bought 22 years ago,she wore it till it was falling apart LOL she said it was her friendly coat.
    We hoard computer parts.There are 3 complete amigas in our loft and a pentium 100 in bits in a cupboard.Cant bare to part with them,they hold too many memories.Sold the old ZX Spectrum to cash converters years ago and had to go through agonies of seeing it on the shelf for sale at 4 times what they had paid us for it.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    I agree about getting someone else to do the culling - if I have tosort through stuff I never get rid of it all. If someone else says this box can go and I can stop myself looking, then I never know what's gone and I don't miss it!
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    when my gran died, we donnated her good clothes to a home where elderly recuperate after hospital, they were extremely grateful, and its nice to think they were well used.
  • rach
    rach Posts: 5,476 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i also find the flylady 27 fling thing a good way to do it - you gather 27 things to throw away and then 27 things to give away from around your home...don;t look in the box and just get rid of it! its not too strenuous and seems to be keeping my flat clutter free!

https://www.flylady.net
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010:j
  • tammy_nadine
    Options
    oooh this flylady site looks good.....thanks
    Nice to save.
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I saved money this year on toiletries by spending all my birthday money (£50) in the January sales. Between the stuff I was bought and all the reduced price products I'm only JUST running out of bath products ;D Thats with my parnter and 3-year-old daughter using some of them as well. I'm hoping this birthday coming I'll be able to do the same. Only other toiletries I've bought myself this year is 2 large 500ml bottles of Pantene shampoo (BOGOF in Boots sometime in June) which are still going strong, deodrant and bodyspray.

When we went on holiday in July I filled the small empty bottles of bodylotion and bubble bath with showergel and stuff to take away with us. The morning we were leaving after we had all showered, I just put the bottles in the bin to save weight/space in the suitcases to take home souvenirs for my family. I also use more of the empty bottles to take small amounts of showergel etc to my in-laws when we go to stay to save buying full size versions to leave there and them getting used by my in-laws. ::)
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure