PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Stamp Duty - Dodgy Advice from agent??

Options
I am considering purchasing a property that is on the market for just over £260k. The estate agent has suggested that it may be possible to do a deal on the stamp duty. When I asked for clarification he quoted the following example:

Say you agree a sale price of £257k - both parties complete the deal based on £250k, but a separate payment of the 7k is made directly to the vendor without solicitor involvement.

Now maybe I'm being naive, but to my mind this is fraud and the only one that would be in the dock is me. I'm not sure I'm prepared to go down this route.

That said, I would be prepared to offer £250k plus £1.5k for carpets, £250 for light fittings etc. Does anyone have any experience of the valuations required for these items?

Cheers
If you're happy to sell it to me at a price I am happy to pay - then I want it cheaper.

Comments

• John_M_Business
    Options
    You have to be able to back up any offers for items with reasonable prices. It may be good to itemise things in the way that you've done it.

Reasonably new carpet in 4-5 good sized rooms could go for £1.5k, but rotting stuff in a single room would be 'valued' at less than that. Fixtures and fittings are a way forward - and legal - and it can also give you a chance to negotiate extra items (especially white goods). Even if you actually ended up selling some of the items - even back to the vendor, you would still have to prove the accuracy of your estimate.

What the Estate Agent has offered is totally irresponsible and illegal and, were you to be picked up on it, I'm sure he'd be the first denying any knowledge of it whatsoever.
    CarQuake / Ergo Digital
  • averagepunter
    Options
    You have to be able to back up any offers for items with reasonable prices. .

I understand I must be able to justify the prices paid for 'extras' if the Revenue challenges, but do I need to have any supporting documentation to support the transaction as part of the normal process (i.e In the absence of a Revenue query?)
    If you're happy to sell it to me at a price I am happy to pay - then I want it cheaper.
  • Robert_Sterling_3
    Options
    Offer £249.995
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • averagepunter
    Options
    Offer £249.995

I probably will - however, this in in an area where properties are still acheiving an average of 98% of asking price. We have already had an offer rejected on another property at 96% of asking price.
  • LD
    LD Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    ask your solicitors how to do it legally, the amount is relatively small and (within reason) the chattels are worth what your willing to pay for them and its not you that has to declare that income to the IR
    vBulletin getting better!
  • John_M_Business
    Options

I understand I must be able to justify the prices paid for 'extras' if the Revenue challenges, but do I need to have any supporting documentation to support the transaction as part of the normal process (i.e In the absence of a Revenue query?)

No. However you must be confident in your ability to demonstrate, if challenged, why you valued certain things at a particular level - therefore I would recommend putting a list together of the Fixtures and Fittings, and putting values against them as a part of the process (so you can also demonstrate that you were working out reasonably costings for the F&F, not just plucking numbers out of the air).

Also, quick tip: it's generally better to itemise... i.e. "10 curtain rails at £30 each = £300" sounds more plausible than "curtain rails: £300".
    CarQuake / Ergo Digital
  • WelshConsumer
    Options
    Why would you ever hand over the remaining sums. You agree a price of £250 through the estate agent - on what basis would you agree the other sum. If you had no agreement then you would not have to pay it - I presume.

Personally speaking I would get everythin in writing and checked out by your solicitor the costs of getting it wrong are too big.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The asking price for this house is in a difficult area. If you pay the full stamp duty, you pay £5k more duty than for a property worth a few thousand less. You cannot be the only buyer who will baulk at this.

Offer £249,999 + a reasonably supportable figure for the furnishings, white goods, etc. Ask your solicitor, but IMHO fixtures and fittings are part of the house and need to be included in the sale price. Carpets, unless stuck down, are just outside that category of being a fixture.

If that won't secure the property, then walk away. It may well be on the market for £200k next year.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • averagepunter
    Options
    Well, we made the offer at £250k plus approx £1.75k for carpets, curtains etc. It was rejected. Seems there is a bit of a domestic going on - she wants to sell asap, he will only sell if he gets top dollar.

So we have walked away. Who knows they might change their mind when no-one else has made an offer by mid-Jan.

Thanks all.
  • deemy2004
    deemy2004 Posts: 6,201 Forumite
    Options
    When its cold and snowing, and no ones viewing, they wil give your a call ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure