We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Who is passing on the VAT Rate Cut? A "Name and Shame" Thread

Options
OK, so who's being good boys and girls and reducing prices because of the VAT cut, and who's being a bad egg by pocketing the difference?

Maybe we can get a list going here... I'll start with a few:
The Goodies
Telecoms
  • BT - Will be cutting line rental accordingly and issuing refunds if line rental already prepaid
  • Plusnet - Will be cutting subscription costs from 1st December
  • O2 - Will be passing on VAT rate cuts from next week, and will issue refunds on request of the difference on "more expensive" line rental already paid in advance
Electricals
  • Currys - Currently showing pre-cut prices on shelf, but discounting by 2.5% at the till with immediate effect
Department Stores
  • John Lewis - Will pass on the cuts (thanks pdotie for info)
Supermarkets
  • Lidl - Will reduce all affected prices on 1st December. Will also reduce non-VAT-rated baby items by 2.5%. (thanks davy_fulla for info)
The Baddies
High Street Stores
  • Poundland - Will keep prices at £1 per item for "customer simplicity"
Got more? Post them and I'll add them to the list :)

Comments

• pdotie
    pdotie Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    John Lewis have said they will pass on the cut
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Added to list. Keep em coming!
  • davy_fulla
    Options
    I've recently started working as an area manager with Lidl. We've been told we have to come into work on Sunday to reduce all the VAT affected prices. A further plus is that baby items (not subject to VAT) will also be reduced by 2.5% :beer:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks for that one davy_fulla :)
  • ShelfStacker_3
    Options
    pdotie wrote: »
    John Lewis have said they will pass on the cut

If John Lewis are, Waitrose probably will as well. Might as well add them to the list as a tentative one.
  • rayw_3
    Options
    Tesco have said that they will be passing on the cut in VAT.
  • doesnt
    Options
    DFS are not passing on the vat cut, i went into a store on friday 21st to order a new sofa and the sales assistant told me off the record to wait until monday and the price will be cut from £799 to £729 which it was so i went back to the store on the following tuesday 25th asked about the additional 2.5% cut they told me the reduction included the vat cut. so DFS can see into the future now, should of asked for the lottery numbers.
  • Lifeisbutadream
    Options
    Dont forget that it is only a cut of 2.5% from the VAT - dont expect everything to be 2.5% cheaper. It works out at about £1.85 in the £100.00
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,397 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dont forget that it is only a cut of 2.5% from the VAT - dont expect everything to be 2.5% cheaper. It works out at about £1.85 in the £100.00

Unfortunatel people don't understand that, I came across a lady today who was returning an £8 item with a view to rebuying it on Monday when she'll save lots of money..she would not be convinced that she'll be saving a few pence at the very most.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Lifeisbutadream
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Unfortunatel people don't understand that, I came across a lady today who was returning an £8 item with a view to rebuying it on Monday when she'll save lots of money..she would not be convinced that she'll be saving a few pence at the very most.

It is quite worrying really - I must have explained it a hundred times already to our customers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport