First Utility - Any users or reviews

Options

Comments

• cheekyherb
    cheekyherb Posts: 401 Forumite
    Options
    avoid at all times! we moved into a new built property in 2009 and were told First Utility was connected as it had smart meters and we hadto stay with them for a year. the first year was relatively smooth sailing but have spent the last 4 years trying to get away from them - only succeeding when we moved!
    It turned out we never had the gas smart meter they said we had to after 2 years got a nasty bill for the gas. I complained and said in all our billing they stated we had a smart meter, it took a letter to the ombudsman to get it sorted out and the smart meter installed.

we moved 4 months ago and were continuously billed for the supply of gas and electric to our old property despite ringing every day for 2 weeks they still refused to take the services away and believe we had moved house. Another call to obudsman and we have finally broken free from First Utility, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
  • Swanlady
    Options
    I switched from FU (just realised how appropriate their initials are!) to save money. The gas account ended on 2nd July, electricity ended 24th June.
    Received a bill dated 8th July showing account in credit of £106.78.
    Received further bill dated 3rd August showing account credit had increased to £242.63.
    First Utility had taken a further Direct Debit payment on 17th July even though the services had ended well before that date. I cancelled the D/D mandate and requested a refund. FU sent me an email complaining that the D/D had been cancelled. They also sent a further email stating that they could not issue a refund because they had not sent me a final bill. I don't see how the bill dated 3rd August could be anything other than a "final bill", but I replied to the email asking when they would be issuing the final bill. That was weeks ago, but no reply has been forthcoming.

On 16th August I received a marketing call on behalf of First Utility claiming they can save me £154 per year if I switch back to them. I said that I would not even think about it unless I received the refund due to me. After consulting with somebody else, the FU rep came back to me and told me that First Utility might ("might"!) send me a cheque by way of refund in 10 days' time. The 10 days aren't up yet, but to be honest, I'm not holding my breath.

First Utility are quoting incorrect figures to persuade consumers that they are much cheaper than other companies.

This explains why their figures don't agree with the figures on comparison websites.
    The FU rep emailed me the details of how I could achieve savings of £154 per year (the figures are in a chart on the FU website). When I checked the amounts, I could see that the "saving" was achieved by using incorrect figures for my current EDF Blue tariff. FU's chart states EDF's gas price to be 4.244p kwh. The correct price is 4.056p. FU's chart states ED's charge for electricity to be 13.892p. The correct price is 11.91p (all inc of VAT).

My experience leads me to believe that First Utility are crooks.
  • Alex444
    Alex444 Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I currently have a complaint with the Ombudsman, the more people that complain the more chance we have of getting this company removed as suppliers.:mad:
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    Alex444 wrote: »
    I currently have a complaint with the Ombudsman, the more people that complain the more chance we have of getting this company removed as suppliers.:mad:

Suppliers will not lose their supply licence no matter how many people complain to the ombudsman about them.

As I understand it, the supplier has already agreed with you that they made a mistake, and all you are arguing about is how much compo you think you can extort from them as a result.

I understand they have offered you £40. Expecting the supplier 'bung another nought on that figure and you might then agree' won't wash with the ombudsman I'm afraid.

Put together a logical argument as to how you come to the figure you expect and the supplier will probably look at it for you. That is all you can expect the ombudsman to do too. Otherwise the ombudsman will simply look at the facts and decide if they think £40 is fair and reasonable in the circumstance, or if not propose a figure that is.
  • JamesMason_2
    Options
    W - you provide an excellent counter point as ever.

Having found the link below, I find it encouraging for this company to acknowledge their poor performance, how they have performed over the past month and what they are doing to improve the situation.

Are other utility companies as forward and open I wonder?

http://www.first-utility.com/about-us/service/performance/
  • Alex444
    Options
    Nice to see they couldn't touch any of those targets.
  • Yorksport
    Yorksport Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    Really interesting to read all this negativity about FU. I've now been with them for a year and haven't had these problems. Firstly, never sign up for a tariff without seeing the details of standing charge and price per kw and compare with your current tariff; ignore any savings claims from the new supplier. FU insist on monthly direct debit which I don't like but they are clear about it. I started with a fixed dd which they suggested but based on figures I provided about previous consumption. After 3 months they upped it without consultation. I was not happy but they offer the option to switch to variable dd based on monthly meter readings so you pay for exactly what you use. I did this and sure enough this is what they take. One interesting fact: once I switched to variable dd they stopped sending monthly reminders for meter readings in the hope, I suspect, that I will forget and they can then take their own inflated figure. Had they stuck with the original fixed dd I would still be in credit so it suggests the forecasting model which they use to determine fixed dds either needs modification or is deliberately set to ensure they are substantially in funds.
  • Alex444
    Options
    They wanted to put me on a fixed DD based on the average power use for a 4 bedroom house. I knew what my consumption was the previous year and worked out how much I should be paying, they were incapable of changing the figures. As I live in a Victorian house that does not have the insulation of a modern build I know I have to pay a premium for my heating, FU don't understand that.
    My case with the Ombudsman has progressed with compensation now at £300, some further questions regarding tariffs and Cashback to be queried.
  • scaredofdebt
    Options
    I change supplier every year or so to get the best deal - they're all bloody useless in my experience! At least I am getting a cheap useless experience though!

FU, BG, EDF, EON, tried them all.

Scottish Power were probably just about OK.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • Jape
    Options
    As with other reviews here, I was with First Utility for just over a year. I wish I'd never switched to them.

Hopeless billing system which resulted in my Direct Debit repeatedly being set up, then rejected...EVERY MONTH for the entire year. Despite numerous phone calls, every month, waiting in the mind-numbing, endless telephone queue, they failed to identify the problem. It eventually turned out that they were setting up the direct debit with my name, but another customers bank account details. So it would be set up, and then rejected when payment was applied for. Apparently it's a common problem with their system?!! Sounds like one for the Data Protection Registrar...

When the problem was eventually sorted, they then emailed me to say that my monthly payments would be increasing by...wait for it...400%!! Muppets.

I've ended up having to pay the best part of £1500 in one go, just to get rid of them.

All that aside, the meter read submission every month is a pain, and the customer service is flaky at best. Their systems just aren't up to the job. Unacceptable.

I've just switched back to Scottish Power (who I was with before) and it's a breath of fresh air. Turns out they are even cheaper than FirstUtility on my tarriff!!

In summary, if you enjoy not knowing what you're going to be paying every month, getting threatening letters every month (saying you owe them money despite having a DD in place), spending hours on the phone waiting for a 'customer service advisor' or submitting meter reads every few weeks, then FirstUtility are for you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure