"Help" from Mr Darling

Having had a quick look at the pre-budget speech it appears those of us on long term Incapacity Benefit and Disability Living Allowance are only going to get assistance to get us back into the workplace, there are very few jobs and I hate to say this but most companies will not take on someone who is not sure when they are going to be able to turn up, has anyone seen anything good in this budget?
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup :D
NSD 15/20, OS WL 21-6 (4) :(C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z #44 Twisted Firestarter, VSP #57 - £39.43
:p Every Penny's a Prisoner :p

Comments

• Children with disabilities will be getting £60 in January along with pensioners (£60 for single person and £120 for a couple)
  • jules372
    jules372 Posts: 280 Forumite
    Children with disabilities will be getting £60 in January along with pensioners (£60 for single person and £120 for a couple)

Is this true as I haven't heard any mention of £60 for children with disabilities, only for pensioners?

Jules
  • The_Dragon
    The_Dragon Posts: 9,749 Forumite
    I know pensioners are getting more and all children, but no one else on benefits, in fact if anything we will be going backwards money wise!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup :D
    NSD 15/20, OS WL 21-6 (4) :(C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z #44 Twisted Firestarter, VSP #57 - £39.43
    :p Every Penny's a Prisoner :p
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    The_Dragon wrote: »
    Having had a quick look at the pre-budget speech it appears those of us on long term Incapacity Benefit and Disability Living Allowance are only going to get assistance to get us back into the workplace, there are very few jobs and I hate to say this but most companies will not take on someone who is not sure when they are going to be able to turn up, has anyone seen anything good in this budget?

The disabled/ long term sick are not seen as vote winners, and therefore are not given the financial incentives that other groups are. Sadly I doubt this would be any different with any political party in control.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • madhouse
    madhouse Posts: 390
    PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    jules372 wrote: »
    Is this true as I haven't heard any mention of £60 for children with disabilities, only for pensioners?

Jules

Yes I watched the budget and he did say this would also go to children with disabilities. I think it is connected to the £10 Christmas bonus. If you get that you will get the one off payment of £60 also.
  • jules372 wrote: »

Jules

Yes its right at the end of his speech:

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/prebud_pbr08_speech.htm
  • I am under 30 and my mother is under 50 and we have to stay in one room in the night because we cant afford to heat the house and we get nothing from alistar darling and we cant eat some weeks because of rising energy costs whilst pentioners get all the money do us a favour labour get lost and soon you look after children what about vunerable adults on the higher rate of dla and will never work again get a grip labour your descriminating against millions :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • madhouse
    madhouse Posts: 390
    PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    I am under 30 and my mother is under 50 and we have to stay in one room in the night because we cant afford to heat the house and we get nothing from alistar darling and we cant eat some weeks because of rising energy costs whilst pentioners get all the money do us a favour labour get lost and soon you look after children what about vunerable adults on the higher rate of dla and will never work again get a grip labour your descriminating against millions :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I don't think TM was meaning to offend you,maybe it would have been better to start a different thread.

I do agree with you that when people with disabilities reach adulthood they seem to be forgotten about. My husband works with adults with disabilities and where as charities will provide the children with gifts and treats, the adults receive nothing. We also have a son on high rate DLA, and we are well aware that alot of our benefits will stop when he finishes education. However his care needs may still be the same, leaving me unable to work. I agree it's about time things changed.
  • Sorry if I offended anybody - the OP asked if anybody had seen anything good in the budget so I said about the bonus for children with disabilities, I thought this thread was about the budget!

I agree that there should have been extra help for adults with disabilities too.
  • It is normal to look at the Pre-Budget Report to see what there is in it for "me", but surely we should not lose sight of the bigger picture. That is to attempt to get this country to ride out the coming recession with the least harm to the economy. ( Whether the Government or the Global recession got us here is another matter as indeed whether the Labour, Tory or Lib-Dems solutions are the right ones either)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure