cant make my mind up on a bed

Options
13»

Comments

• pinkkaz
    pinkkaz Posts: 538 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't buy from ikea. Every single wooden piece of funiture I've bought from there has broken - really bad quality!
  • Peter_Simon
    Options
    If you used to sell beds (or still do going by the link you added), then you should know better than to tell people sutch rubbish. Pocket sprung mattresses are NOT generally suitable for slatted bases because the springs work independently, and will try to push between the slats if the gaps are too big.
    Whoa there Tiger. Why such hostility? Pocket sprung matress are COMPLETEY suitable for a slatted base AS LONG AS THEY ARE NO MORE than 2.5 inches apart. The same logic works with a memory foam mattress, if the slats are too far apart then the foam tries to leak through the slat gaps.

I no longer work in the furniture industry but the ranges I did sell was hypnos. tempur and dunlopillo. Hypnos pocket sprung matresses are completely suitable for a slatted base as are many other pocket sprung mattresses from well known places like John Lewis. Just a bit of research is required to find out which. Perhaps you could also try less attitude and misinformation in the name of some faux superiority you feel you have?
    That just proves what I have been saying about how much of a mark up many bed retailers add.
    It proves you wrong actually. I got the mattress at cost price. 2.35 markup is pretty standard for the furniture industry and compared to some others like clothing or restauranting that markup is very very low. Many of the large furniture retailers in London have run at a loss for several years now, I've seen the accounts. ;)
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    Whoa there Tiger. Why such hostility? Pocket sprung matress are COMPLETEY suitable for a slatted base AS LONG AS THEY ARE NO MORE than 2.5 inches apart. The same logic works with a memory foam mattress, if the slats are too far apart then the foam tries to leak through the slat gaps.

That is the sort of rubbish that many sales reps tell people in bed stores just to get a sale. However I don't know if it is the bed store owners or the manufacturers who tell them to say that. So it could be down to poor training.

If the gaps are too big then the springs will try to push down between the slats. Or even worse if a spring is only half supported by a slat then the spring can be distorted. So for a pocket sprung mattress to last as long on a slatted base as it would on a divan base the gaps should be no more than 1".

The whole reason I started posting in these forums was because I was disgusted by the sales gimmicks and complete untruths that are told to potential customers.

So you know a lot about two sided memory foam mattresses do you??........well Hypnos, Tempur and Dunlopillo don't make them.
    It proves you wrong actually. I got the mattress at cost price. 2.35 markup is pretty standard for the furniture industry and compared to some others like clothing or restauranting that markup is very very low. Many of the large furniture retailers in London have run at a loss for several years now, I've seen the accounts. ;)

How does it prove me wrong???

2.35 markup is actually at the bottom end of the scale. I have actually seen 4 or even 5.

No company can afford to run at a loss for several years and still continue trading.

Yes it is obvious that you got it at either cost or very close to it.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    I no longer work in the furniture industry but the ranges I did sell was hypnos. tempur and dunlopillo. Hypnos pocket sprung matresses are completely suitable for a slatted base as are many other pocket sprung mattresses from well known places like John Lewis. Just a bit of research is required to find out which. Perhaps you could also try less attitude and misinformation in the name of some faux superiority you feel you have?

The only types of pocket sprung mattresses that are suitable for all slatted bases are the non turn type that have a hard base inside them. This however means that the mattress won't last as long due to being non turn.

Tempur mattresses are reflex foam on the bottom, so as long as the slats aren't too far apart then there should be no problem.

As I said in my previous post many reatailers or manufacturers will say that their mattresses are suitable for slatted bases, but they fail to tell you that it will reduce the life of the mattress (just like they don't tell you that a mattress will have a reduced life if it is non turn).
  • Peter_Simon
    Options
    Tim,

I'm not a sales rep or a know-it-all. Nor do I run a bed business ;) I am a guy trying to help somebody else make informed choices about their purchase. Like I have done on a number of different subjects on this forum.

No matter what you say, good quality pocket sprung mattresses are suitable for slatted bases. The 8 years I spent in the high end furniture industry tell me that much.

And as for 2 sided memory foam mattresses? I don't know what the heck you are talking about??? :confused:

I think we have railroaded this thread too much so I'll call it a day here. Too much bedlum for my liking ;)
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Tim,

I'm not a sales rep or a know-it-all. I am a guy trying to help somebody else make informed choices about their purchase. Like I have done on a number of different subjects on this forum.

I have no problem with you giving out information if it is correct. However you were a sales rep, and these forums are full of complaints about sales reps giving out wrong information in order to get sales. I don't blame you as you can only go on the training you are given, but the truth is that much of the training given to sales staff is designed to misslead customers so that they will buy a product. The bed industry is full of sales gimmicks and hype. Non turn mattresses and pillow top mattresses are prime examples.
    No matter what you say, good quality pocket sprung mattresses are suitable for slatted bases. The 8 years I spent in the high end furniture industry tell me that much.

If you have any knowledge about the construction of mattresses, then even common sense alone will tell you that statement is wrong.
    And as for 2 sided memory foam mattresses? I don't know what the heck you are talking about??? :confused:

That just proves limited product knowledge.
  • Peter_Simon
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    I have no problem with you giving out information if it is correct. However you were a sales rep, and these forums are full of complaints about sales reps giving out wrong information in order to get sales. I don't blame you as you can only go on the training you are given, but the truth is that much of the training given to sales staff is designed to misslead customers so that they will buy a product. The bed industry is full of sales gimmicks and hype. Non turn mattresses and pillow top mattresses are prime examples.

If you have any knowledge about the construction of mattresses, then even common sense alone will tell you that statement is wrong.

That just proves limited product knowledge.

Wow what a hypocrite! You are the one who is flogging mattresses mate! It took me about 5 seconds to find your company on the net searching for your name and the substandard product you sell (bar one good manufacturer) tells me everything I need to know.

You are the salesman
    You are here to flog your product.

Please don't pretend otherwise.

Good day.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Wow what a hypocrite! You are the one who is flogging mattresses mate! It took me about 5 seconds to find your company on the net searching for your name and the substandard product you sell (bar one good manufacturer) tells me everything I need to know.

You are the salesman
    You are here to flog your product.

Please don't pretend otherwise.

Good day.

There is no need for personal abuse.

You are new to these forums. However most people who are regulars know exactly what I do. They also know that I don't come on MSE to sell. I get a constant flow of PM's asking for my web site, but I don't give it out.

The ONLY reason I am on MSE is to correct the sales hype and gimmicks that are spouted by either poorly trained or dodgy sales reps.

You have a nerve to even mention substandard when you say you used to sell Tempur (who came bottom in the which magazine report), and Dunlopillo whos quality has dropped since they were taken over (there are even posts in the forums stating this).

You have proved your lack of knowledge and manufacturers by your statement 'substandard product you sell (bar one good manufacturer)'. This makes it obvious that your knowleds of the industry is very limited. So who is the one manufacturer?

Your first post in this thread was promoting a low quality/over priced on line store.......any connection with you?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure