cant make my mind up on a bed

Options
i am going to need 2 double beds to furnish my flat. i plan to furnish one room now for me, and the other room in a month or two for a lodger.

so , i could possibly buy one type of bed and if i dont like it for any reason i could move that to the spare room.

i have only really looked on argos and ikea. i like the look of the ikea beds especially the malm and hopen, however i have one big worry in that they are so low, not sure i like to sleep so low down! the malm ledge is only 30cm and the hopen 39cm. a divan is usually close to 60cm, which i've been used to in the past.

however i dont think divans look anywhere near as good as the wood frame beds, and they dont come with headboards, although not sure i'd desperately want one. i've had an airsprung bewley before with firm mattress and that was very comfortable.

the ikea beds with mattress and slats is around £165-195 depending on getting a foam or sprung mattress (£20 more for sprung). the airsprung divan is £180 in argos.

so what should i do? try one of the ikea beds and see how i get on with being so low down? then if i dont like it put that in the spare room? is there anywhere else i should be looking for a bed? thanks!

Comments

• manda1205
    manda1205 Posts: 2,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ive got an ikea malm bed, and I love it! Only trouble with Ikea beds is their european, and our mattress is uk. So we have a gap around the mattress, but the duvet covers it so not so bad. I dont really find it that low to be honest. Ive never had a divan though.
    All in all its a good bed, and quite a solid piece, so think it'll last us a while.
    Im ikea mad, so Id say go for Ikea, but thats just me, LOL.
  • adandem
    adandem Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My niece had a Malm bed, she was constantly ending up on the floor, the slats kept giving way. Apparently this is not uncommon. My daughter has the Tromsnes daybed though and that's fine.

I would def. go for a wood/metal frame and not a divan.
  • Greenr
    Greenr Posts: 286 Forumite
    Options
    I would def recommend a divan with drawers underneath. I live in a flat and the extra storage space is very handy. I actually prefer divans as they don't take up as much room as a bed with a 'frame'.

I personally don't like low ikea beds... apart from the fact that they're low, the malm are wide and you end up banging your legs on the wooden frame!! ALso, wooden/metal beds can tend to start squeeking!!!
  • hayleythedaisy
    Options
    Hiya,

Funny question time now but do you have carpet or shiney floor? I like having a framed bed with boxes underneath it, although with a shiney floor it just gets too dusty, so might be worth considering a divan with drawers.

Also - And I know of some people who get this and some who don't but I had a metal framed bed and it squeaked... Loads!!! Since had a different one and it's been fine - ones that you assemble with allen (sp) keys seem to be the bu*gers.

You could have a look at tesco, or alternatively go into a bed (dreams etc) or sofa shop. (my local sofa shops sell beds).

Happy sleeping.
    Bump due 22nd September
  • want2bmortgage3
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I have carpet in the bedrooms. I'll probably go for the ikea malm or hopen and see how I get on. If i have any problems I'll put it in my spare room and go back to a divan! As for buying from ikea I know the box things up as small as possible for transporting but surely a double mattress would be too big for a car? Am I better off having the whole lot delivered even if its £40 (I'm after a sofa, plus other bedroom furniture). I live about 1 hr 30 from ikea.
  • Peter_Simon
    Options
    These guys have a nice range of wooden beds, I've had a couple of Ikea beds and the ones with the metal frames seem to be better than the chipboard ones. I used to have one of theirs that had an upholstered headbaord and then washed the covers. It shrunk and my wife wasn't too pleased :confused:

http://www.buyfurniturenow.co.uk
  • manda1205
    manda1205 Posts: 2,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I have carpet in the bedrooms. I'll probably go for the ikea malm or hopen and see how I get on. If i have any problems I'll put it in my spare room and go back to a divan! As for buying from ikea I know the box things up as small as possible for transporting but surely a double mattress would be too big for a car? Am I better off having the whole lot delivered even if its £40 (I'm after a sofa, plus other bedroom furniture). I live about 1 hr 30 from ikea.
    It'll fit in an estate probably. Theres quite a few boxes and they're heavy. Its just the one box that is the full length one, others are smaller IYSWIM. We always borrow a van when we go down, cos we're bout 2hrs away then we know we can get what we want and not worry. Also you can pick the slats you want, I think we paid slightly more than the bog standard ones for ours, ours have been fine too.

Just re-read your post, no way you're gonna get a sofa in too though, so Id either rent/borrow a van or get it delivered. :)
  • want2bmortgage3
    Options
    i am edging towards a sprung mattress as its thicker (18cm) instead of the foam ones (10-12cm), this will raise the height of the bed slightly. also i've read the foam ones can make you hot during the night, i dont like waking up hot and sweaty!
  • Ionkontrol
    Options
    Have a look at http://www.warrenevans.com/

Argos beds are awful quality. Ikea not that far behind.
  • want2bmortgage3
    Options
    thanks for the link, but out of my price range! had a look through tesco direct but the prices were surprising quite high, so ikea is still top of my list, i shall be ordering by the weekend.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure