cheap pc package help please

Options
Sigh all this techie talk I'm lost! I want to get a new pc this one is always crashing aparently it has 40Gig hard drive and 128mb of ram and its got 1300 mhz and 1.29ghz. I have no idea what any of that means I just copied it off properties menu. Anyway I would like to get a new comp with flat screen as we have a chunky old square one, one that records cds/dvds etc, we don't need a printer as we have a great one and a sack of inks to go with it but it must be able to plug in via a paralell port as it does not have a usb on the printer. Oh and lastly I'd like if poss to have more usb's as my comp now only has 2 and its so annoying having to keep unplugging the mouse or my webcam etc to plug in the scanner or my mobile phone!. Anyhow so if anyone can advise me on a good set up I could look into I'd be really greatful. We have no more than £500 cash and won't get any credit dont want to get into anymore debt so cash it will be. I've had a nose round comets and currys and looked on the Dell site but I'm so confused. Oh lastly I saw a deal in Woolworths of a whole pc set up for £399 called Medion I was gonna buy it does anyone know if its any good its on the woolworths website if anyone can have a look at it for me and let me know thanks.

P.p.s it must have a Modem internally as I'm still on dial up don't want to go broad band.
:p

Comments

• albertross_2
    albertross_2 Posts: 8,932 Forumite
    Options
    TaBunny,

How old is the PC you have? The specs (apart from the RAM) look reasonable.

It may be much cheaper to buy a bit more RAM for it (£20-30), a £10 usb card, a £20 DVD writer + a TFT screen if you really want one..

That amount of RAM is far too low for XP to work smoothly (If that is what you have), and that may be contributing to your crashing problem. (If you could elaborate as to what you mean by crashing, we may be able to help)

You will then be able to get broadband with the money you have saved, or pay off some debts.

If you still want to go the new PC route, see this thread..

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=130128
    Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:
  • decanay
    decanay Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    As I said on another thread I don't think the Medion is great for that price especially with a beige monitor.

I would recommend phoning Dell and seeing if you can haggle a good deal out of them. It's a shame you didn't post earlier as there was a 15% off voucher for Dell that ran out 1st January, but perhaps if you mention this over the phone they may still honour it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure