Medion MIM 2080 - £399 Woolies - Can you give me some honest feedback?

Options
Hey folks

I know you'll all have better things to do on NY but.......could I have some honest feedback on the Medion laptop available at Woolies for £399

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/ww_p2/product/index.jhtml?pid=50504399

I just really want a decent budget laptop for surfin, photo editing, burning (dvd's + cd's) and wondered if the processor could handle stuff like photoshop, etc.

Much appreciated

HAPY NEW YEAR!
make your own time, you're welcome in mine

Comments

• intel
    intel Posts: 6,404 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a Medion MID2020 and its about Oooh 2yrs old now and I havent had one
    iota of a problem mind you I think it was one of their first range as its the fully built
    in Germany one... some People say dont bother but some say that with dentists
    and mechanics.. put it this way its a 1yrs warranty and you get what you pay for.

IMHO for a budget laptop its a steal.. But thats my opinion and no-ones elses.

I upped the RAM on mine for photoshop and no problems at all.
  • edna_clouds
    Options
    How about this refurbished one direct from the Medionshop.

clearpixel.gifclearpixel.gif
    NOTEBOOK COMPUTERS
    clearpixel.gif
    clearpixel.gifProduct Information pfeil_down.giflink_zurueck.gif clearpixel.gif
    clearpixel.gifclearpixel.gifclearpixel.gifclearpixel.gifclearpixel.gif
    [url="javascript:void(0)"]43734CD3338B0852E10000000A00004A.jpg
    [/url]clearpixel.gifclearpixel.gifclearpixel.gifclearpixel.gif
    Medion Electronics
    REFURBISHED Intel® Celeron® NB with 2.0 GHz
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Home, MD2853 Intel® Celeron® with 2.0 GHz, 14.1" TFT XGA Colour Display.
    clearpixel.gif
    Product No. 50021957 [url="javascript:void(0)"]abb_lupe.gif[/url] clearpixel.gifclearpixel.gif
    clearpixel.gif£ 319.99 clearpixel.gif[url="javascript:void(0)"]abb_warenkorb.gif[/url]
    [url="javascript:void(0)"]link_kaufen.gif[/url]clearpixel.gif
    clearpixel.gif[url="javascript:checkAvailability('50021957','PC')"]link_pruefen.gif[/url]clearpixel.gifclearpixel.gif
    [url="javascript:void(0)"]button_service.gif[/url]
    clearpixel.gif
    [url="javascript:void(0)"]button_empfehlen.gif[/url]
    clearpixel.gif
    [url="javascript:void(0)"]button_drucken.gif[/url]
    clearpixel.gif

clearpixel.gifclearpixel.gifRelated Products and Accessoriesclearpixel.gifclearpixel.gifclearpixel.gif
    REFURBISHED Mobile AMD Athlon XP 2400 Notebook
    clearpixel.gif
    Product No.50022186
    clearpixel.gif
    clearpixel.gif£ 385.00clearpixel.gif
    [url="javascript:void(0)"]abb_warenkorb.gif[/url]
    link_mehr.gif clearpixel.gifclearpixel.gifclearpixel.gif
    REFURBISHED Intel® Pentium® 4 2.4GHz Notebook
    clearpixel.gif
    Product No.50018405
    clearpixel.gif
    clearpixel.gif£ 385.00clearpixel.gif
    Notebook In-Car Power Supply
    clearpixel.gif
    Product No.40003037
    clearpixel.gif
    clearpixel.gif£ 32.99clearpixel.gif
    Black Floppy Disk Drive
    clearpixel.gif
    Product No.20015371
    clearpixel.gif
    clearpixel.gif£ 24.99clearpixel.gif
    Silver Floppy Disk Drive
    clearpixel.gif
    Product No.40002075
    clearpixel.gif
    clearpixel.gif£ 24.99clearpixel.gif
    link_mehr.gif clearpixel.gifclearpixel.gif
    clearpixel.gifProduct DescriptionREFURBISHED UNIT

Specifications
      <LI class=pdc>Medion MD2853 Notebook <LI class=pdc>Microsoft® Windows® XP Home <LI class=pdc>14.1" TFT XGA Color Display <LI class=pdc>Intel® Celeron® Processor with 2.0 GHz <LI class=pdc>128MB DDR-RAM <LI class=pdc>20 GB hard disk <LI class=pdc>Combined DVD/CD-RW drive: 8x DVD / 24x CD-R / 10x CD-RW / 24x CD-ROM <LI class=pdc>Graphics: VGA with up to 64MB shared memory <LI class=pdc>16 bit Sound chip <LI class=pdc>Internal 56K V.90 Modem <LI class=pdc>10/100 Mbit Fast Ethernet LAN port <LI class=pdc>2 integrated speakers <LI class=pdc>Integrated Touchpad with two mouse buttons <LI class=pdc>UK Keyboard with 2 Multimedia Hotkeys
    • External AC adapter & Li-Ion battery VDE/GS approved

Interfaces

1x parallel (EPP/ECP), 1x microphone in, 3x USB 2.0, 1x line-out, 1x VGA out, 1x serial, 1x TV out, 1x modem (RJ 11),

1x LAN (RJ 45), 1x Fire Wire (IEEE 1394), 1x Infrared

Software included
      <LI class=pdc>Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition SP1a (recovery version and CD-ROM) <LI class=pdc>StarOffice 6.0 (OEM Version) <LI class=pdc>Nero Burning ROM (OEM Version
    • Cyberlink Power DVD (OEM Version)

Dimensions and Weight
      <LI class=pdc>Dimensions (WxDxH): 330x280x42mm
    • Weight: 3.4kg incl. battery

Warranty

6 Months

Note: Image for illustration purposes only.
    sometimes you're the pigeon, sometimes you're the statue!

• Gibblestick
    Options
    It looks OK for the money and their web site seems to offer updated drivers etc.
    You will need more RAM though. 256MB and shared graphics memory is just not enough. Add a 512MB chip and it should be fine (I wouldn't try playing the latest games on it though)
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I bought the wife a refurb from the Medion site last year...it was the worst notebook I've ever had the misfortune to come across...ever. I was aware that it was 'refurbished', but i was more than a little disappointed when i removed it from it's packaging. The case was scratched and just looked like an old worn lappy. That however turned out to be the least of my concerns. It continually hung apps, the memory was faulty, the wrong charger was shipped, it would reset of it's own accord losing the work that was being done at the time constant Blue screens, the list goes on and on and on. I contacted Medion to inform that i was rejecting the notebook. Many emails were ignored when i sought progress reports, however i did secure a full refund after several weeks of chasing them. I was far from impressed with Medions hardware and after sales attention. Once bitten...
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • £$&*"($£&(
    £$&*"($£&( Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    Options
    How about this refurbished one direct from the Medionshop.

Specifications
      <LI class=pdc>Medion MD2853 Notebook <LI class=pdc>Microsoft® Windows® XP Home <LI class=pdc>14.1" TFT XGA Color Display <LI class=pdc>Intel® Celeron® Processor with 2.0 GHz <LI class=pdc>128MB DDR-RAM <LI class=pdc>20 GB hard disk <LI class=pdc>Combined DVD/CD-RW drive: 8x DVD / 24x CD-R / 10x CD-RW / 24x CD-ROM <LI class=pdc>Graphics: VGA with up to 64MB shared memory <LI class=pdc>16 bit Sound chip <LI class=pdc>Internal 56K V.90 Modem <LI class=pdc>10/100 Mbit Fast Ethernet LAN port <LI class=pdc>2 integrated speakers <LI class=pdc>Integrated Touchpad with two mouse buttons <LI class=pdc>UK Keyboard with 2 Multimedia Hotkeys
    • External AC adapter & Li-Ion battery VDE/GS approved

Interfaces

1x parallel (EPP/ECP), 1x microphone in, 3x USB 2.0, 1x line-out, 1x VGA out, 1x serial, 1x TV out, 1x modem (RJ 11),

1x LAN (RJ 45), 1x Fire Wire (IEEE 1394), 1x Infrared

b]

For the price it's not great. Poor processer, which is much worse than that in the new Medion, limited RAM (made smaller by the shared graphics) and small screen.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm sure there were much better offers instore in Staples, higher spec, better machines, a little bit more money but worth it in the long run !

the spec on this one is no good for photo editing, you want at least 512mb ram....1gb best
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Cortes
    Cortes Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated!

:beer:
    make your own time, you're welcome in mine
  • cosmile
    cosmile Posts: 355 Forumite
    Options
    the thing about medion is...well my laptop is a medion,good laptop,but after 8 weeks the hardrive failed,its been in the repair workshop for the last 4 weeks,no sigh of it coming back,they promised it back to me within 2 weeks.i keep phoning and they keep making and breaking promises...so beware.
  • adchesney
    adchesney Posts: 94 Forumite
    Options
    Dear Folks

I got one yesterday for the Mrs. It is not bad.

When you think £399 includes Windows and other progs, VAT and a carry case - it is cheap.

My wife uses the laptop for writing, emailing and internet. This setup and linked seamlessly with the home wireless network and played DVDs with no probelm at all.

I agree that another 256Mb of RAM would be ideal - but for £399 what more can I ask?

BTW, Wollies (Big W) in Beckton had two left.

ANDREW
  • phil-w_5
    Options
    Just found this Medion link...... HELP...
    I can vouch for the Notebook being a nice machine, increased the ram to 512 and added a internal Mini PCI wireless card... There is a built in antenna so it was a quick trip to ebay for the wireless card. BUT can I get a spare B******Y battery.... I'm sick of Medion's help line, a total waste of time, simple request....

Q: Can I buy a spare battery for my MIM2080 (MD95408) note book

A: If its not in our web shop we don't do them.

Q: Do you mean you can't supply me with a spare battery for my 6 month old notebook ?

A: No, you could try Computerbatteries.co.uk though.

(I've already tried them, when I first bought it and again after 6 months thinking that it was a new model and they would take a while to get support)

The above is as near to the correct conversation as I can get due to my just about loosing it with them, I managed to stay calm JUST!. I hasten to add that it took over six 10 plus minutes of calls to the nat rate number over 2 days before I managed to get through to a human being at 8AM in the morning just as their help :rolleyes: desk started for the day....

Any suggestions PLEASE.. I've dropped a line to Woolworths where it came from but not heard anything from them yet. When I bought it, the assistant said if I needed any support to contact the manufacturer, little did I know that a simple request for a battery could be so painfull, why didn't I just buy a ACER/DELL/COMPAQ etc etc etc......

HELP HELP HELP, I don't know what to do next.... Phil-w
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport