🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

LHA and other benefits London

Options
A couple with 1 baby who are now living with parents want to move to London. They are both out of work claiming JSA and CTC.

If they move to the city centre they can get up to 540 LHA for a 2 bedroom place. As well as CTB what other benefits would they get if they cant find work?

Comments

• Yoshua
    Yoshua Posts: 298 Forumite
    Options
    If they have less savings than the thresh hold then they would continue to get JSA and IS and CTC. I dont know the figures maybe someone else here can post them.

I think that figure 540 per week is crazy for a 2 bedroom place in the city. But yes you are right that is the correct LHA for a 2 bed.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,563 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I guess the problem with this is that it then puts them in a more difficult position when trying to work as they may end up like the 1000s of people that cannot afford to fund their own bills so they remain on benefits - £540 per week plus council tax will equate to a significant amount to have to earn to make it "worthwhile" working so they may end up in the spiral of living off benefits for a long time
  • RDB
    RDB Posts: 872 Forumite
    Options
    Yes but thats for another post.

This post is not about morality just actual figures.

Does anyone know acurate figures as to how much a couple with no savings would get on income based JSA with 1 baby?
  • RDB
    Options
    entitledto.com doesnt show income based JSA only contribution based.

Is this information available anywhere?
  • Yoshua
    Yoshua Posts: 298 Forumite
    Options
    You are right you cant find out from entitledto.com.

I have had a look but cant find the answer anywhere.

I would guess from experience, a couple with a baby both claiming income based JSA (with no savings) would get about 60 JSA plus 30 IS and about another 30 CTC per week.

Please someone correct me if you can find the answer.
  • DaisyFlower
    Options
    RDB wrote: »
    A couple with 1 baby who are now living with parents want to move to London. They are both out of work claiming JSA and CTC.

If they move to the city centre they can get up to 540 LHA for a 2 bedroom place. As well as CTB what other benefits would they get if they cant find work?

If they are in the position of living with parents where expenses will be minimal, then they could use this time to secure a job before moving.

As they are already claimimg JSA snd CTC, what other benefits do they expect to be given as well?
  • RDB
    Options
    your missing the point, this is a hyperthetical couple.

A hyperthetical situation, does anyone know the answer or where to find it?
  • DaisyFlower
    Options
    People have answered, JSA, CTC and CB - not sure why you are pushing this if the couple are made up anyway!

You have already looked into LHA so covered that aspect.

Not sure what you are after with the question - there are no more benefits available other than JSA regardless of it being London or Blackpool.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    RDB wrote: »
    your missing the point, this is a hyperthetical couple.

A hyperthetical situation, does anyone know the answer or where to find it?

If posting about hypothetical situations, it might be fair to note this in the OP. MSEer's give a lot of time to helping people with their benefit eligibility, and a hypothetical situation such as this may be taking someone away from helping a fellow MSEer in a real, sometimes quite urgent situation.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    If posting about hypothetical situations, it might be fair to note this in the OP. MSEer's give a lot of time to helping people with their benefit eligibility, and a hypothetical situation such as this may be taking someone away from helping a fellow MSEer in a real, sometimes quite urgent situation.

Yes I agree and it is more frustrating when the question has already been answered and that is not accepted for some reason.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport