Defunct Battery?

Options
Had a call from F in-law this morning, his car engine wouldn't turn - flat battery. AFAIK it's same age as car, Honda Civic (petrol) 2000W, so must be past it's sell by?
He had a problem a couple of weeks ago after leaving lights on and had to beg a jump start from a good Samaritan.
This morning his car started using my portable booster battery pack, but only just. He went for a 15 minute road run but on return the engine wouldn't turn over again battery is absolutely flat - low wattage lights all v. dim. A 15 minute run should have put something back in and the engine had warmed up a bit too.
It would seem to me that the alternator might not be charging, you can usually hear the alternator "whine" when it's pumping out a few amps, his wasn't. He didn't think the batt. warning light was on when driving though. The drive belt is intact!
Would opinions favour the battery being well past it or possibly something wrong with charging?
It'll surely not do any harm to get a new battery anyway and see what happens then. If that goes flat then it has to be charging or a steady trickle out through a short circuit somewhere.
I have experienced completely knackered batteries not taking a charge in the past and requiring a very low trickle charge to put any life back into them.

Comments

• espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Eight years is not a bad life for a typical battery. If the alternator was not charging, you should get a light displayed on the dash. Most batteries die suddenly and if it's the original I would get a new one.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • saintjanet
    Options
    Have the battery checked at halfords or any other supplier near to you either that or borrow a tester from someone.

As the other poster said eight years is a long time for a battery to last,so it is probably knackered.

If you are in the AA,RAC or similar,they will test it for you and the alternator too.
    :) There are two sides to every story.
    I am not a SAINT just a saints supporter(saints RLFC)Grand final winners 2006.World club champions 2007.
  • goldspanners
    Options
    if you dont have a multimeter or battery load tester then as others have said take it to a local motor factors, they will be able to test it,they will also be able to tell you if its charging or not aswell. well i would hope. if the battery voltage is above 12v probably around 13 to 14v when engine is running then the battery is getting a charge,so the alternator will be fine.

alternativly,start the engine,stick on all the lights,heater fan,radio window heater etc... and check the front lights if they look a bit dim or worse the car cuts out then its probably not charging. but always best checked.

we have had a cold snap recently and the battery is getting on a bit so i wouldnt be too surprised or even offended if it was knackered,infact i would be pretty happy at that kind of life from a battery.
    ...work permit granted!
  • hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    every battery failure i have had has been an instant thing, not drawn out over a period of time
  • goldspanners
    Options
    every battery failure i have had has been an instant thing, not drawn out over a period of time

one day it starts fine the next nothing.
    ...work permit granted!
  • hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    one day it starts fine the next nothing.

yup once popped inyo a corner shop for 2 mins, came out and it was dead!
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    Going there again this morning with trusty portable power pack and voltmeter (didn't have that yesterday) and start it up. Will check voltage before and during running of engine..
    Then to local factors to get it tested as well and cajole him into buying a new battery - he is always a bit reluctant to spend money! Even if it's not the battery it will be still wise to renew, as has been suggested 8 years is not bad at all - I've always found about 4 is the norm.
    Thanks to all who responded. I'll advise the results.
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    Update - battery definitely deceased! 10v prior to start and 15v with engine running so would appear alternator and charging is fine.
    New battery now fitted, so far so good. Had to use a fair bit of "persuasion" before F in L would part with money though, he's like a duck's backside at a depth of 6 feet!
  • steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    if its really 15volts when running thats a tad high...might kill the new battery too
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    Yes I know, but the 15v could well be inaccurate as it was measured using the Volt scale on a 30+ year old dwell meter and the scale is difficult to read properly so it was only an indication that the volts went up with the engine running!
    I think being 8.5 years old is what "killed" the old battery.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport