Paypal have "held" my payment :(

Options
I have had some excellent help over the last week or 2 regarding an Xbox 360 that I sold to a 0 feedback.
After a big investigation we went ahead with the transaction via Paypal, and I sent the Xbox.
Since then..
I emailed the buyer to confirm he received it, and he did :)
I started the 3-5 day process to have the funds sent to my bank account :)
However, I received an email from him today saying that it appears he has a duplicate charge to his bank account (2 X £440 instead of 1 x £440). I told him I have definitely only received once, and that he should contact Paypal to check it out.
Paypal have now emailed me saying that..
"Recently, PayPal received a notification from a user regarding unauthorised
access to his PayPal account"
They are now asking for a tracking number etc, which doesnt appear to be the problem according to the buyer :(

I have emailed him around 10 times over various things, and it all seemed fine... and to top it off paypal closed the email with..

"Good selling practices, like trackable delivery, prompt postage and
communication between buyer and seller help prevent disputes. We look forward
to your reply.
"

Any ideas please as to what I should do? I have emailed him asking what he said, but dont have any idea how to contact paypal, and what to say.

Cheers
Be nice

Comments

• Burlesque_Babe
    Burlesque_Babe Posts: 17,547 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would write back to the Paypal email with the tracking number to help sort it out, but Paypal should easily be able to see from your account that only one amount was received for the one transaction. Maybe include the transaction number in the email to them.

I would guess (although I could be wrong) that the buyer should be talking to his bank if two payments have been deducted?

Here is a link to Paypal Customer Services

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_contact

Good luck, hopefully it will be quickly sorted.
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • fuzzgun19
    fuzzgun19 Posts: 7,767 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Here is paypals phone number, I would give them a call -

"PayPal Customer Service Agents are available to help you from 6:00 AM GMT until 10:00 PM GMT every day.

Call us on: 08707 307 191

We can only discuss an account with the account holder. Please have the following information available when you call:
    Your telephone number
    Your email address
    The last four digits of your credit card or bank account registered with PayPal "

Here is a link to saynoto0870.com if its any help -

http://www.saynoto0870.com/
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • smashed
    smashed Posts: 1,043 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Will ring them when I get a chance , cheers for both inputs :)
    Be nice
  • kevinyork
    kevinyork Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Had similar Problems with Paypal. I think most of the emails they send out are automatic so probably a human hasnt even looked at your account to confirm that youve only received on payment.

Ive had it where Paypal have put a payment from someone I sold to on hold pending investigations into a possible stolen credit card however I hadnt gone ahead with the transaction and the payment received was refunded the same day. Paypal hadnt even looked at the transaction on my account. When I rang them they took the info and cheekily said it could take up to 45 days to be investigated. I complained saying that if someone took a quick look at my account they could see straight away that it had been refunded and that it was unfair to put money in my account on hold just so they could take ages to look at it. They agreed and lifted the hold straight away.

I hate communicating by email with Paypal and eBay as you get stock replies from Robots, much prefer to pick up the phone and sort it out.

Kev
  • bobadobado
    Options
    Please let us all know the outcome.
  • Miroslav
    Miroslav Posts: 6,193 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    :(

I'm having paypal problems myself (Took £62 out twice)

I phoned them, and was told 10 days investigation.

Pain in the rear, it's not our faults, yet we have to suffer :(
  • nightswimmer
    nightswimmer Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    smashed wrote:
    and to top it off paypal closed the email with..

"Good selling practices, like trackable delivery, prompt postage and
    communication between buyer and seller help prevent disputes. We look forward to your reply."

That's just ebay's standard reply. It's tone really took me by surprise, and quite upset me the first time I got such a message. Someone bought something from me using a hijacked account. The first e-mail I got from payPal was all nice and polite, asking me to forward any information that might help catch the person who had hijacked the account, etc. Which I did, gladly.

Then the next thing I got was an e-mail saying that they had refunded the money because the account had been used fraudulently, but then the rst of the e-mail used the same tone as the above paragraph, basically saying it was my fault and I should have done more to prevent the dispute from happening!

I realised it was a standard reply, but after having done nothing wrong and spending time trying to help them catch the hijacker, only to have the money taken from me, getting such an e-mail didn't do much for the old blood pressure. :mad:

Sorry to rant. Back to your original problem. Everyone else has given you great advice. The only thing I would add is, if you are e-mailing PayPal, make sure you send them the e-mail correspondance you have had/been having with the seller, just in case what he is telling them, is different to what he is telling you.

Good luck.
  • smashed
    smashed Posts: 1,043 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well the funds cleared into my account :) It turned out that the amount is on hold in my paypal account. I am therefore showing as owing £440 odd.. so I cant actually buy anyfin with paypal at the mo :(
    When I phoned I explained the problem, but they insisted that I have to just wait till they finish their "investigation". They made out like they were as important as the FBI :)

On a seperate note, I am not verified and therefore have nearly hit my limit for transactions. If i verify my account, can I then start trading for a couple of thousand pounds worth of stuff this year? :)
    Be nice
  • Malestrom
    Malestrom Posts: 983 Forumite
    Options
    PayPal have also debited my account twice for a single purchase this week. Luckily it was only for £2.17 but I still reported it. Just waiting for them to finish their investigation now <yawn>.

Looks like PayPal had some computer problems recently!
    He huihuinga taangata he pukenga whakaaro – A meeting of people; a wellspring of ideas (Maori proverb)
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    Options
    If there is an unauthorised transaction on your credit card (e.g. duplicates), shouldn't you contact your credit card company to dispute the unauthorised transaction? I know the OP doesn't have this problem but others who are reporting it might want to try this avenue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure