which is cheaper- electric blanket or central heating?

really need to save money on this, which is cheaper electric blanket or central heating?

I switch my heating competly off during the day (as i'm at work) and turn it to 20c when I get home, turn it off again around 10-11pm when bedroom has warmed up

however it is getting colder and i'm not sure what to do now as a 1st time homeowner!

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Electric blankets use very little electricity and will be much much cheaper than CH.
    Typical consumption might be 50w to 300w so approx 0.5p an hour to 3p an hour.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Electric blankets very cheap to run but very inefficient at heating the whole house!

Our CH is on all evening but goes off at 11pm. We go up to bed around midnight - elec blanket comes on at 11.45pm.
  • nc73
    nc73 Posts: 16 Forumite
    why electric blankets? just comforter will do. i leave my heat on for 1-2 hours after work. wear lots of clothing!
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Some of us are (or choose to be) less hardy. Just a comforter will not do!

Depends on circumstances, of course. We are in the fortunate position of being able to afford our fuel bills. We are a large household with someone home most of the day so a few pence to run an electric blanket is not a significant cost. I am on a mission to reduce waste and cut our energy bills but I can't be cold. Well, more than that, I want to be warm!

The OP asked which would be cheaper to run - CH or electric blanket. I want both but can do without heating the bedroom if I have the leccy blanket taking over.
  • nc73
    nc73 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Magentasue wrote: »
    Some of us are (or choose to be) less hardy. Just a comforter will not do!

Depends on circumstances, of course. We are in the fortunate position of being able to afford our fuel bills. We are a large household with someone home most of the day so a few pence to run an electric blanket is not a significant cost. I am on a mission to reduce waste and cut our energy bills but I can't be cold. Well, more than that, I want to be warm!

The OP asked which would be cheaper to run - CH or electric blanket. I want both but can do without heating the bedroom if I have the leccy blanket taking over.
    Stays warm enough for us though. We have kids and they are home all day but they seem to prefer cooler temps. A little heat and they start to sweat. They never get sick but once or twice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure