We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Home Insurance claim - for new boiler

Just looking to find out what people think about this.

We have lived in our property for 2 years and the boiler has been fine in all that time, no problems. I thought I would be sensible and get a British Gas homecare policy for £9 a month that included an annual inspection. The problem started when the engineer called me down and showed me a load of rust on the top casing of the boiler that had lead to a hole in the top of the boiler, apparently this is a no no and he said he had no option but to condemn the boiler there and then - nightmare no hot water or heating.

There are 2 pipes that go from the boiler up to (wherever they go) and one of them appears to have been leaking at a join near the boiler (but external to the boiler) and has caused this. I asked about just getting a new casing but apparently not possible it requires a new boiler.

I looked in my home policy and it says this under Buildings; "we will pay for loss or damage to the buildings caused by;

8- Water or oil escaping from any fixed water or heating installation or from any domestic appliance.

So I'm thinking , great what a result. I call the claim line, they say yes its covered just let us know the cost when you have it and we will sort out alternate accommodation (no heating or hot water). So I get British gas round first available appointment I can for a quote for a new replacement boiler. I authorise British Gas to do the job (as DL have said its covered) and they are due to come on Monday afternoon to drop of the kit and Tuesday the engineer comes to do the job.

I called DL today to confirm I just pay on credit card and claim back and they said it has been passed to another department due to the value of the claim and once he has done a visit will be able to say if it,s covered or not. !!! eeerrr excuse me, you have told me over the phone it already is and to get the work done. I ask why it wasn't passed to this department immediately and they tell me it was a mistake.

If I cancel the British Gas job now I can get a refund on the deposit and wait for what this chap says who is going to be here first thing Tuesday Morning (same day engineers due to do work). However if I do cancel the job British Gas next install appointment is 10th December, that would be another 2 weeks without boiler and in hotel (if they say its covered). So I put it to the lady perhaps I should cancel the job and wait to see what he says and then if its okay we get the job done but DL would need to find alternate accom for us for another 2 weeks and stump up the cost. They tell me that if I do that they may not be liable for the cost of alternate accom as I could of had the job done on Tuesday !!

But if my insurance wont cover it I would try and find someone cheaper to do the job, but if insurance covers it I want British Gas to do it.

Catch 22 now, so engineers and assessor due to arrive same morning first thing, lady on phone said ask engineers not to start till he has seen it, I said what if I cant and they have to crack on, she said well ask them to save any bits so he can make assessment.

I have fingers crossed and it's all covered but I'm worried, I have taken photos of the damage and looked through my insurance to see how they might try and get out of covering the costs but I really dont know.

Any thoughts out there ?

Comments

• Airwolf1
    Airwolf1 Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary 10 Posts
    You seem to be in a bit of a awkward position there. Given what has been said, I would contact the Insurer's complaints department and explain the urgency of the claim and of what has been said and ask them what should be done. If they don't help, contact their Ombudsman.
    My suggestion and/or advice is my own and it is up to you if you follow it, please check the advice given before acting on it.
  • mattymoo
    mattymoo Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    The answer is fairly simple. At the end of the day, you are going to have to get the work done whether you are covered or not. Proceed on that basis.
    If the assessor okays the work / policy cover then that is a result.

Re alternate accomodation - do you have an immersion heater? If so, use that and forget about racking up huge hotel bills in case they say no.
  • Many Thanks for the replies. So as expected the inspector came out (also an RBS company), and has sent a letter to the insurance company stating that the leak from a pipe has happened over time and wear and tear is not covered under my policy.

However where he finds that I have no idea as it is not written in the policy.However what it does clearly state in my policy is that they will pay for loss of or damage from any water or oil escaping from and fixed water or heating system or from any domestic appliance.

What should I do now ? Just right back quoting the policy section and tell them that unless they pay me within set time frame it's small claims court for the costs +£3000 and interest that my credit card company will charge ?

I cant be bothered doing 2 milion letters back and forth saying the same thing, small claims would probably be quicker and a judge I expect would quickly see the policy wording I refer to has me covered.

Furthermore They had already told me I am covered ! Should I also write to them under the data protection act asking for all information they hold on me electronically, that would include all notes they have on the claim, and all recorded conversation and present all of this as evidence.

What do you think the best steps are ?
    I hate insurance companies !
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    There will be an "exclusions" section in your policy. Check that doesn't mention "wear and tear" (or similar). You have a great policy if it doesn't!
  • ah yes, my mistake, just found it - there is a section that says. Uninsured risks.
    a) wear; tear andreduction in value
    b) damage caused by rot, fongus, woodworm, beetles, moths,insects or vermin;
    c) mechanical or electrical faults or breakdowns
    d) damage casued by cleaning, dyeing,renovating,altering,re-styling,repariing or restoring an item or items;
    e)any other damage caused gradually.

So they are sayinbg its' "gradually operating cause/wear and tear" is not covered.

So what about the section that says they will cover a leak from a fixed heating installation ?

It seems they are 2 contradictory clauses. The pipe has been leaking, I didnt know about ti and it has caused damage. Copper pipes dont wear and tear, but a leak from one has casued damage. They state "it has not been a one off incident".

Thoughts ? (other than &%$@ers)
  • Quentin
    It now looks like this is an uninsured event, and down to you to pay the cost of repairs.
  • I would have to disagree ont he grounds that;

1. They told me I am covered over the phone and authorised me to have the wrok done, "You wont be covered for the repair to the pipe as this is wear and tear, however the damage it has casued to the boiler is covered"

2. The result has come about due to a leak from a fixed heating installation, which has casued rust and subsequently damaged the boiler casing condeming it and requiring a new boiler. (section quoted above). How many pipes do you know suffering from wear and tear ?

3. Rust is not listed in the exclusions above, however it is specifically listed in other sections, though neither of my sections.

That only leaves the "other damage caused gradually", however that is a result of a leak from a fixed heating installation (that is covered).

Oh !!!!!! I'm going to have to write 2 million letters back and forth and eventually go to court. :mad:
  • Quentin
    You can disagree of course - but you only asked for "thoughts"!

Remember that you pay the court costs and only get these back (from the loser) if you win.
  • Sorry yes, I got a bit defensive there. Thanks for your reply. Ii think it will be an uphill struggle. I suppose the letter game begins, then the ombudsmen at the same time I will get a copy of the claim file under the data protection act nad hopefully copies of calls/conversations. Then go from there.
  • small claims fees are generally low too. :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.