They "say" they've sent the V5 but have they???

Options
A few weeks ago I bought a car from a small car dealer located in Wakefield (I live in Driffield). When i put a deposit down on the car they said they didnt have the V5 as the car had only been with them a few days and they'd sent it off to be updated into their name. When i went to collect the car and pay the remainding money they said it still hadnt arrived but allowed me to keep £100 back until it arrived. I had had a HPI check done and it all came back clear.
After a week i called them and they said it had arrived. We arranged to meet to exchange V5 and £100 (they were going to sign it and give it all to me to send to the DVLA) but they cancelled and said they would bring it to my house the next day. He again cancelled on me and said he would post it. Three days later i still had not received anything so called him. He said he had posted it the day before. It has now been a week since then and have just called him AGAIN as i have still not recieved anything. He said he will check his post to see if it has been returned to him but he's sure it had the correct address on it.

What do i do now?? Are they just fobbing me off with excuses? I know its not stolen as the HPI is clear but im really worried. I cant just "pop" round there often as the garage is over an hours drive away.

Please help.
fiona

Comments

• cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Contact the DVLA and check what is actually happening, QUICKLY;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Why quickly? It's had a HPI check, the OP has a receipt for buying it. A v5 in effect is a pretty meaningless bit of paper as it doesn't mean you own it, merely that you're the registered keeper. It does not in any way imply ownership of the title of the vehicle.

It takes 3-4 weeks for DVLA to send a V5 to you once they've been notified of the change of keeper. You've kept £100 back. If it doesn't arrive in the next fortnight, phone them up to tell them they've lost their £100 as it hasn't arrived and apply for one yourself stating on the form that you were not given the V5 by the previous keeper. It will cost you £19 to get one but as you retained £100, you're £80 up.

<waves from the other side of Driffield...>
  • flutterbyuk25
    Options
    Conor wrote: »

It will cost you £19 to get one but as you retained £100, you're £80 up.

Actually cost is £25 not £19, changed 18months or so ago.

The form you need is a V62 which you can get from Post Office or download from www.direct.gov.uk/motoringforms

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • Conor_3
    Options
    Fairy snuff...not had to apply for one for donkeys years.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Conor wrote: »
    Why quickly? It's had a HPI check, the OP has a receipt for buying it. A v5 in effect is a pretty meaningless bit of paper as it doesn't mean you own it, merely that you're the registered keeper. It does not in any way imply ownership of the title of the vehicle.

It takes 3-4 weeks for DVLA to send a V5 to you once they've been notified of the change of keeper. You've kept £100 back. If it doesn't arrive in the next fortnight, phone them up to tell them they've lost their £100 as it hasn't arrived and apply for one yourself stating on the form that you were not given the V5 by the previous keeper. It will cost you £19 to get one but as you retained £100, you're £80 up.

<waves from the other side of Driffield...>

Because if you haven't seen the V5 it could hold a fair few suprises, number of owners etc, HPI checks are notorious for providing out of date info.;)

I personally would never buy a car without sight of the log book.

Also If you can't trust the dealer to handle that simple bit of paper, what chance if any car problems arise.

Enough for you Conor??
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its never wise to buy a car without the V5. Most traders dont put the car in there name anyway when they buy it, section 9 of the V5 allows them not to. How do you know its not had 50 previous keepers?
  • markelock
    markelock Posts: 1,735 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    do you not also need it to tax the vehicle?
    Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl Bart? Why did I have the bowl?
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    markelock wrote: »
    do you not also need it to tax the vehicle?

Not sure if you do now if you do it online (yet I'm probably wrong )
  • markelock
    markelock Posts: 1,735 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you can do it online without V5 (although you need a long ref number which is also on the V5)

I seem to remember also having an issue doing it for a car online, and having to go to the local PO, therefore needing the V5.

although it could have been a dream...
    Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl Bart? Why did I have the bowl?
  • Conor_3
    Options
    Because if you haven't seen the V5 it could hold a fair few suprises, number of owners etc, HPI checks are notorious for providing out of date info.;)

I personally would never buy a car without sight of the log book.

Also If you can't trust the dealer to handle that simple bit of paper, what chance if any car problems arise.

Enough for you Conor??

What does the number of owners have to do with anything? I've seen one owner cars that are sheds and ones that've had several owners in as many years which have been well maintained.

I've just bought yet another 2 litre Capri that was a 1.6 and still has the 1.6 capacity and engine number on the V5. The Capri before this one was white having been resprayed in the previous 12 months yet still had the original colour blue on the logbook. A V5 is only as accurate as the information provided to DVLA.

And does anyone honestly expect to get decent aftersales service from a small dealership anymore?

A V5 merely provides you with a bit of paper which tells you the current registered keepers details, the DECLARED number of previous keepers, vehicle make, model, colour, engine size, taxation class, engine and chassis numbers and taxation class on it. Virtually all of those you can get from a HPI check.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure