PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

renting to council

Options
1/2 thinking of letting my pad to the council,i hear its gauruntede rent but might be bit lower than if i rented it out privately..has anyone done this,the type of people in the might wrek it but i spose its up to the council to put it rite..

Comments

• avinabacca
    avinabacca Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    Options
    deano72 wrote: »
    1/2 thinking of letting my pad to the council,i hear its gauruntede rent but might be bit lower than if i rented it out privately..has anyone done this,the type of people in the might wrek it but i spose its up to the council to put it rite..

What do you mean, "the type of people"?

Fair enough - I mean, you wouldn't want a load of thick, illiterate types running around and probably trashing the place, would you? :rolleyes:
    Oh come on, don't be silly.

It's the internet
    - it's not real!

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You should speak to the Council and find out if they'd want your place and how much they'd offer.

I asked them and the sum they were prepared to pay was massively lower than the open market rent and for many it might be less than the mortgage.

Somebody else I know asked at the same time. In my opinion their house was a winner, it was a large 2-double-bed house with a garden in a good village just 2 miles from a centre of employment. The council turned it down because they said they didn't need houses there (which must have been a complete lie because it was very well placed and the housing lists were huge). Although, maybe, now I know there are so many BTL 2-bed properties being bought new or bought and done up, it might be that there was an over supply of 2 beds in the area and the council only wanted 3-beds.

If you hand it over to the council they will pay the agreed rent to you for the duration of the time agreed, even if the house is empty. If their tenants wreck it, they sort it out. The house is handed back to you in the same condition you handed it over.
  • deano72_2
    Options
    avinabacca wrote: »
    What do you mean, "the type of people"?

Fair enough - I mean, you wouldn't want a load of thick, illiterate types running around and probably trashing the place, would you? :rolleyes:

sorry didnt relise it was a spelling forum...i live on council estate & like all estates,some good people some bad,some that will kick ur fence down & some that will help repair it,,,so i spose i should of said if i was unlucky enough to get bad tennants
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    deano72 wrote: »
    sorry didnt relise it was a spelling forum...i live on council estate & like all estates,some good people some bad,some that will kick ur fence down & some that will help repair it,,,so i spose i should of said if i was unlucky enough to get bad tennants
    Your tenant is the Council, not the low life they put in it. :P
    It's all restored if there's any problem.
  • mirrorimage0
    Options
    just ask the council what they pay, round here its £800 per month for a 3 bed house and something like £625 for a 2 bed flat , they also do minor repairs whilest they are renting it from you, you need to ask them what sort of checks you need done ie gas/electric insurance etc
    now proud mum to 3 handsome boys :j latest one born 10/10/11:j
  • karenj
    karenj Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't believe that the council will put it right. My father in law rented to DSS tenants through the council and every house he rented was wrecked. He had to fork out for cleaning, repairs and whatever - he got no help from the council. And the rent was usually in arrears. I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole!
  • andrewmp
    andrewmp Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    karenj wrote: »
    Don't believe that the council will put it right. My father in law rented to DSS tenants through the council and every house he rented was wrecked. He had to fork out for cleaning, repairs and whatever - he got no help from the council. And the rent was usually in arrears. I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole!

He obviously let direct to the DSS tenants.
  • mel19632
    mel19632 Posts: 647 Forumite
    Options
    in our area there is a scheme like this - the council pays a year in advance in april, but they take a 20% management fee, and i think you have to agree to let for a minimum of 5 years.
    The price offered is a bit less than open market (around £80-£100), but it is guarenteed!
    If you don't want any hassle then this could be a good option for you.
    Paying down the mortgage:
    At 1 October 2011: £226,000
    Currently: £224,499
    Aim: 85% LTV (£212,500)
    Paid £1,500
    Target remaining: 88.89%
  • karenj
    karenj Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No he didn't, andrewmp. He was probably one of the first in our area that had houses to rent through the council!
  • andrewmp
    andrewmp Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    karenj wrote: »
    No he didn't, andrewmp. He was probably one of the first in our area that had houses to rent through the council!

So he let his house to the council and they didn't pay the rent? Take the council to court.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport