We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Free McAfee security software for HSBC customers

Options
2»

Comments

• econo_2
    econo_2 Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    Just my two bobs worth on this for what it's worth.

I deal with 100 personal computers at work and flash media being constantly inserted and removed all day long by students with just about as many nasties as you can possibly think of!

We have tried just about everything and in a real life situation, day in day out, nothing holds a candle to Kaspersky's KIS 2009. The last to be binned was NOD 32. I had numerous infections it just couldn't deal with. Because it doesn't drain your system resources as much as many though I understand why some people like it, and it is better than most.

Furthermore, Kaspersky's online support is nothing short of outstanding. I had a machine with detected malware recently- NOD couldn't see it and Kaspersky saw it but couldn't remove it completely. I e-mailed support and within 2 hours they had replied, asked for an upload of the security analyzer analysis file and then the next day had given me what I needed to remove it 100% They also provided me with a flash media tool to help with future prevention.

If Kas is available for 15 quid you would do a lot lot worse than invest!:j
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    Options
    We have to use McAfee at work. Not only does it slow down the PC no end, it failed to spot 3 viruses when they turned up. Worse is that the company actually pays McAfee for this. I wouldn't recommend McAfee (or Norton) to anyone even if it was free. For personal use there are plenty of free anti virus products which don't slow your PC to a crawl, and can actually spot viruses. I can vouch for Avira and AVG both of which I use on PCs at home.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,146 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I use several of the free products above and and have never had a problem with viruses. I would also actively recommend against using HSBC as they are the worst offender in terms of not passing on the recent BoE interest rate cuts to their customers.

HSBC have gone from having historically competitive mortgage standard variable rate to one of the highest having only passed on 81 basis points of the combined 200 basis points cut. As this is how they treat their loyal customers, costing them thousands of pounds a year on average I would recommend not taking any financial products from them or First Direct if at all possible.
    I think....
  • Margin_Walker
    Options
    Tiny bit off topic there michaels
  • leviathan
    Options
    Coming from someone who works in IT I'd go for a free copy of Avira AntiVir.

Ditto.
    I used to use AVG but it started to get bloated so switched to AntiVir.
    The annoying nag screen goes away quite quickly. You can opt to pay very little to remove it for good.

It's caught many virus's and webpage scripting exploits so I'm quite happy with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport