Free McAfee security software for HSBC customers

Options
Whenever you connect to the Internet, you expose your computer to the risk of infection from viruses. They can attack websites, email attachments, or a network of computers.

HSBC have teamed up with McAfee® to offer all our Personal Internet Banking customers access to free Security software for 12 months.

HSBC are continually reviewing and enhancing the security we offer you as part of our Internet Banking service, and it's also very important that you, as an internet user, take the appropriate steps to help protect yourself. McAfee® Security helps to protect your PC and your information against internet fraud and intrusion from hackers.
More details here

Regards
Sunil

Comments

• bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does that include the firewall?

Having antivirus software installed arent really going to do much on its own
  • leviathan
    Options
    McAfee and TBH most of the big name virus scanning software contain an awful lot of bloat and are often responsible for serious downgrading the performance of your PC.

You've got a problem when all you want is them to kill virus's but they have to keep adding "features" to sell more products.

The big names don't usually score well in independant testing either.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Coming from someone who works in IT I'd go for a free copy of Avira AntiVir. If you were happy paying some dosh then I'd either go for Kaspersky or NOD32

I can highly recommend http://www.wilderssecurity.com for discussions on all things security related.
  • moneysavingallday
    Options
    So it's not worth taking HSBC up on this particular offer then?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    McAfee really isn't that great, it's pretty much standard / average at it's job.

I'd suggest googling each for reviews on each but my own experience is a noticable slowdown on your system with McAfee and an average score for virus detection.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/free-anti-virus-software#virus
    Pay for anti-virus software from the biggies Symantec/Norton or Mcafee and it'll cost roughly £50 per year. Yet you can also take advantage of a variety of decent free programmes...
    • Grisoft's AVG 8.0.

AVG has a long history, and has been through loads of modifications to provide a better service on its way to the current version, AVG 8.0. The company makes its money by selling virus protection to small businesses, and offers free home-user versions as a means of promoting its professional service. It's protection is reasonably thorough, though it doesn't offer any real tech support. It's quite unintrusive, doesn't use too many resources, and it will regularly auto-update.
    • Alwil Software's Avast! 4.

Alwil software's Avast! 4 is free for non-commercial users and offers regular updates, as well as proper technical support via e-mail or phone. Protection-wise it's very similar to AVG, covering all the same bases and not hogging system resources, but it has a funkier interface (for those who like a pinch of fashion with their computer security). The only downside is that you have to re-register it after each year of use.
    • AntiVir.

AntiVir by Alvira actually offers better standard virus detection than both of the above, but lacks in other areas. It won't scan your emails before you open them, uses more resources (less of a problem if you've a more powerful PC), and maintains a perhaps-too-visible presence on your desktop. You'll also have to occasionally re-register it to keep it going.
    For me I like AntiVir as it's got one of the best virus detection rates and you can turn off the splash screen etc. to make it less unobtrusive. I also don't need email scanning, if you do then maybe go for AVG.

The comment above of
    uses more resources
    for AntiVir is, in my opinion, not true.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Its pretty much standard at its job? Thats fine. Its free. This isn't a discussion whether its good or not, leave that for the techie board. This is just showing the fact HSBC are giving it away.

Although I don't use any of them, never had any problems with mine and I get 3 licences. (trend micro ftw)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Lokolo wrote: »
    Its pretty much standard at its job? Thats fine. Its free. This isn't a discussion whether its good or not, leave that for the techie board. This is just showing the fact HSBC are giving it away.

Why have something that's just okay when you could have something that's excellent...
  • akashi
    akashi Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    More importantly, why install a software that is most likely going to impact the computer's performance?

Personally, I use AVG Free Edition, it does the job and is a lightweight software.
    Be responsible with your money and avoid the misery
  • realaledrinker
    Options
    Well if we're touting for business for our employers, Sunil...

We are now offering all smile and Co-operative Bank customers a free 30-day trial of the Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 product to arm you, the home PC user, with all the security you need to protect yourself from falling victim to cyber criminals. Alternatively you can subscribe for the complete Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 (Annual) package today from just £14.99, sending out the message to the writers of (malicious software) that you have locked your doors to the chances of any hackers siphoning money from your Bank account.

... seems a good deal to me!
    Ethical moneysaver
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well if we're touting for business for our employers, Sunil...

Erm..- I don't work for HSBC or McAfee..?
    We are now offering all smile and Co-operative Bank customers a free 30-day trial of the Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 product
    Kaspersky is a good product but only offering a 30 day trial is a bit crap really..

Personally I use AVG but am planning to change to something else, given AVG's problems recently.. and the fact that teh never versions are becoming ever more bloated..

Regards
    Sunil
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family