🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Warning - CapitalOne

Options
B] Never give your telephone number to CapitalOne unless you are very, very lonely and want to be called 4+ times a day, every day including Saturday and early Sunday morning.

I never gave my number to this company and do not know how they obtained it despite my telling them each time to STOP CALLING ME and also being ex-directory and on the Telephone Preference Service. This is unlawful under the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 and I am complaining to the Telephone Preference Service, and the Information Commissioner's Office which is responsible for enforcing this law. At the suggestion of a forum member, I have also contacted the company itself four times - each time I have been assured this calling will be stopped and each day I get these unwanted calls. It is making me increasingly distressed.

I will now write to Srini Gopalan, MD Europe, CapitalOne to demand this stops. Apart from the nuisance this is causing me it is commercially inept. Would you invest in or give your business to a company which drives people mad and who do not want to hear from you. Would a company with integrity subject their staff to the inevitable anger which comes from being called after repeatedly being told to stop calling. Needless to say I will never do business with this company and I note that on American consumer sites it has the lowest possible ratings.

If this doesn't work I will sue. If anyone has suggestions or has suffered similar harassment from CapitalOne, I would be pleased to hear.

Comments

• cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    Why are they calling you so often?
  • JoannaKay
    Options
    I have a very high APR card with a few hundred pounds of debt and they call me several times a month. I often am on my way out or very busy but they don't listen when I say i can't talk but continue to ask me who I am in their robotic way.

Ok so I owe them money and they have a right to chase, but when I've made an arrangement with one of them they still call back several days later to ask me the same infuriating questions.
  • janet37
    janet37 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    several times a day is the norm with them, seven days a week as well!!
  • Thomas_Crown
    Options
    1ec wrote: »
    B] I am complaining to the Telephone Preference Service

The TPS will not be able to help you in this instance because you are a customer of Capital One. They can only help when the calls are from a company with whom you have no prior association ie.cold calling.

I've had a Capital One credit card for about a year now & they havn't phoned me once.
  • nomoneytoday
    Options
    So it's not an unsolicited call, but a chasing call...
  • clio
    clio Posts: 3,345 Forumite
    Options
    I've had cap 1 card 5 years next may, wish they would call me lol. i've never been called even when i spent 2k in one transaction.
  • 1ec
    1ec Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for replying - I must make it clear I have no relationship with CapitalOne and never have done - have never applied to them or contacted them. I have no idea why they are calling me - twice Saturday, twice Sunday, twice today. Had a marvellous suggestion from vivatisfosi to contact Companies House and write to MD Europe - on private address if provided - until they stop. They are cold calling and it is against the law (Privacy and Electronic Communications EC Directive Regulations 2003) as I am ex-directory and registered with the Telephone Preference Service and have every time they call told them not to call me and have also called them four times to tell them to take me off their list. They assure me they will but they just keep calling
  • Thomas_Crown
    Options
    Thank you for replying - I must make it clear I have no relationship with CapitalOne and never have done - have never applied to them or contacted them.

Sorry 1ec, I thought you were an existing customer of Capital One & they were contacting you to sell additional services or whatever.

What do they say when they phone you?
  • gingerkitten
    Options
    I have two Capital One cards both way over their limit, I hasten to add here that this is purely down to the amount of charges they have added, I pay by direct debit but have still ended up in this situation eventhough I haven't used either card in at least 12 months. Number of phone calls to warn me I am in arrears......absolutely none!. As opposed to GE money (debenhams) who rang me five times a day, every day (including Boxing Day!) because I missed one payment!.
  • dealornodeal_3
    Options
    Thank you for replying - I must make it clear I have no relationship with CapitalOne and never have done - have never applied to them or contacted them. I have no idea why they are calling me - twice Saturday, twice Sunday, twice today. Had a marvellous suggestion from vivatisfosi to contact Companies House and write to MD Europe - on private address if provided - until they stop. They are cold calling and it is against the law (Privacy and Electronic Communications EC Directive Regulations 2003) as I am ex-directory and registered with the Telephone Preference Service and have every time they call told them not to call me and have also called them four times to tell them to take me off their list. They assure me they will but they just keep calling

I know this will cause you some inconvenience, but why not ask BT for a change of number.. Get your new number, and dont give it out to any firms, shops etc. Just give out your mobile number, as I do.

If you dont want to do that, then when Capital One phone you. Just put the phone by the side, as they are paying for the call!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport