which type of insurance

Sadly,this xmas my father in law died and i've since discovered that probably, like a lot of people, he had no insurance.As his wife is still alive i would like to take the precaution of taking out a small policy on her life to cover the expenses should she decide to keep him company!!--It sounds harsh but I cant afford one funeral,let alone two.Q:- can I do this without her permission? what sort of policy would I need ,and what sort of cost would be looking at??Any advice welcome!! :confused:

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You have to have an insurable interest to commence a life assurance on someone. I'm not sure what expenses you believe you would suffer in the event of her death. For example, the funeral expenses can be paid out of the estate. Any contracts she had would cease on death and no liability can be passed to you unless you have acted as guarantor on anything.

So, apart from the fact you cannot do it without her permission, I don't believe you could justify it as an insurable interest.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • catford
    catford Posts: 1,114 Forumite
    There is no" estate "to pay for a funeral,and i'm not guarantor for anything.So who pays for the funeral,if not the relatives?? Doesn,t that count as an insurable interest?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It is unusual for someone to die with no assets in the estate (money, property and possessions). However, the local council or in some cases, the health authority will pay for a simple service where there is no funds available and no spouse to pay. The local authority have a duty to arrange a burial or cremation of any person who has died in their area. The social fund does have some qualifying rules though. Usually, its related to being on benefits.

Whoever orders the funeral, has to pay for the funeral costs. So it would be important not to make arrangements without passing responsibility to the local authority.

If your mother in law is willing to cover her own funeral expenses, she could commence a funeral expenses plan where the direct debit comes from your account. However, it would need her to complete the application, sign it and for you to sign the direct debit.

If she is really homeless and without possessions, then you could justify an insurable interest if it is you that would most likely pay the funeral. Personally, I am not a big fan of these plans. I often consider the £25pm would be better put into a savings account. 2-3 years down the road and there is enough there for a service.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure