consumer advice please........ Arghh

Options
Hello guys,

I need some advice about my rights.....

I brought a Fisher Price electronic book(its not just a book its a huge pack, like leap pad books) from Woolworth's before Christmas for my youngest daughter.
We opened it Christmas day and its not working.... now i went to Woolworth's and spoke to many staff and finally the manger that refused to take it back cuz i didn't have my receipt.
OK that's fair enough but its a special pack and can only be brought from Woolworth's, plus it has Woolworth's on the packaging.

I asked the manager for advice, after all what am i supposed to do with a faulty product!.............. he said next time keep your receipt!! and basically that's it.

So does anyone know what i can do now? i brought the product using Woolworth's gift vouchers, they could prob look at their CCTV tapes and see me pay for it but then again that's a bit much...
Even if they scanned the bar code it would come up, because its their product!!

I'm just soo annoyed and angry, that they can sell me a faulty product and get away with it!
Last year after Christmas they excepted returns and exchanges without receipts!!!

any advice please?
Abbey Loan £6,000
Tesco loan £3,000
Tesco points --- £100 worth £400 in deals for holiday! :j :T
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." (Charles Darwin)

Comments

• sammyy
    sammyy Posts: 478 Forumite
    Options
    I might be wrong but I always thought that if something is faulty you didn't need a receipt.How long before Christmas did you buy it?
  • *Sparkle*_3
    Options
    It was the week before christmas.
    Abbey Loan £6,000
    Tesco loan £3,000
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." (Charles Darwin)
  • mountainofdebt
    Options
    I would ring head office (try 01706 862789) and ask their advice....would also quite happily drop unhelpful manager in it at the same time!
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • carly
    carly Posts: 1,414 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You do not need a receipt. The law states "reasonable proof " of purchase. If the item is woolworth badged then that should be sufficient, especially if the item is faulty and not just unwanted. Do you ( or anyone else) have a receipt for when the gift vouchers were purchased, as that might help. I would insist that they look at their cctv, it might call their bluff. Failing that write to their managing director at the head office address, I find that always gets results when local staff are being unhelpful
  • shopbot
    shopbot Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Sparkle,
    I'm a Store Manager for a nationwide retailer.
    The law says that you can have a refund on a faulty item without having to produce a receipt. You also do not have to prove to the retailer that it is faulty. If they refuse to refund the burden of proof is on the retailer to prove that it is not faulty.

I would suggest that you contact your local trading standards department (details in the Yellow pages) and take it from there.

The other route is to contact Woolworths Head Office Customer Service dept. Tell them what happened and that this is in breach of the law and that if they don't take immediate action to resolve the situation your next step will be to contact Trading Standards. This might be the quickest course of action for you.

SB
  • *Sparkle*_3
    Options
    Many thanks for all your wonderful advice....

It's all sorted now and i have a NEW Fisher price book pack which i've just exchanged!

Idone some reading of my own to grow my knowledge in consumer rights, and i found out like previously mentioned that i dont need a receipt as they dont have to give me a receipt either..

Any way, i called customers services and spoke to them very politely, and he was about to spin me off the same bullsh*t that the manager tried and advised me to go back to fisher price, he said i could have got this product from any shop, then i mentioned it had exclusive to Woolworth's written on it! he changed his whole tune and rang the manager at my local store and within 20 Min's i now have a new fisher price book pack that I've just exchanged!! LOL

What arseh*les!!
    Abbey Loan £6,000
    Tesco loan £3,000
  • sammyy
    sammyy Posts: 478 Forumite
    Options
    Well done. :j Its a pity you had to mess around though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure