PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

decision add the conservatory or not ?

Options
We put the house on the market in Feb and got asking price within 48hrs lovely but then the credit crunch started being mentioned in the media and in the end lost the buyer. Have had a few viewing since with one person who wants the property but cant sell their own. Question do we add the conservatory to give us extra space while we are on the market too make things more comfortable or manage without ?:confused:

Comments

• poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    What's changed so you need extra space? Do you have the cash for it? Why don't you reduce the price if you're keen to sell?
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't spend money on a conservatory if you're planning to move as soon as you can. If you move and have extra money it would be better to use it to add to your new house.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't put a conservatory on to sell. If you are running out of space, have a really, really massive clear-out in preparation for the move and make sure that absolutely everything you own has a proper place to live and don't stop clearing out until it does. It's amazing how much space you will create by being ruthless and becoming organised. Buy storage solutions from Ikea - under bed boxes, stackable boxes etc. all really cheap.

A conservatory, unless you are really going for it, is going to be absolutely freezing through the winter plus that fact that you have been on the market for quite a while, few will appreciate that there is more space than there was so won't notice any difference in value for money on the asking price. I'd 'spend' the money on a lower asking price than on a conservatory :confused:
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you were on the market in February, you're going to need a substantial reduction, and no one will pay you extra for a conservatory.

I was on the market in February too and, despite a £40k extension, my house is now SSTC for much less than a comparable one which sold in May without any extension. Neither I, nor the person who bought in May are happy about this, but at least I have a chance to do a better deal in 2009/10.

C'est la vie!
  • Incisor
    Incisor Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't do it. Your heart will not be in it if you start it, and your prospective buyers will be thinking "wish they had not done that conservatory, I would have done it better" etc.

Also, you will put your place off the market while you are having it done. Only a desperate builder [of whom there are a few now] would take it on knowing you want to move, because if a buyer does come along before he gets to the job, he knows he will be cancelled and he might have to risk materials - which in turn means he will put low priority on your job and only do it if he has no other work.

etc. It's not worth the hassle
    After the uprising of the 17th June The Secretary of the Writers Union
    Had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee Stating that the people
    Had forfeited the confidence of the government And could win it back only
    By redoubled efforts. Would it not be easier In that case for the government
    To dissolve the people
    And elect another?
  • Tean
    Tean Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    poppysarah wrote: »
    What's changed so you need extra space? Do you have the cash for it? Why don't you reduce the price if you're keen to sell?
    Nothing has changed the place was always too small and moving would solve the problem.
  • Tean
    Options
    Thank you for replying the work would be done by ourselves so wouldnt need to involve builders but all the replies are saying the same thing dont bother
  • Tean
    Options
    We have de cluttered and de cluttered everything is in boxes and in the loft and in boxes under the bed just fed up with not be able to live normally and looking for things you know you have and remembering its boxed up
    thank you for the advice but already done
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    If you must move you'll have to cut the price.
  • Tean
    Options
    have spoken to estate agents who is advising not to drop price any further as buyers are coming in with ridiculous offers and we still have to buy something
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport