PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Milk, a longlife that does not taste?

Options
13»

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    Options

Ultra-high temperature processing (or UHT) is the partial sterilization of food by heating it for a short time at a temperature significantly above 100°C, typically 135-140°C.]

This is why I use UHT milk for making yogurt.You don't have to scald it first in order to sterilize it as its already been done.I just pour a carton of milk in the yogurt maker +2 tbsp live yogurt+half a cup of dried milk,switch it on and leave overnight-next morning a litre of thick,creamy yogurt for about 90p.
  • Mr_Proctalgia
    Options
    Morrisons Low fat natural yoghurt is £.98 for a kilo tub so you might just be losing a little money here Thriftlady, once you factor in the cost of the dried milk and live yogurt!

It is very nice and almost like greek yoghurt, the tubs are very handy for storage too.

Edited for more information, You can get UHT milk for a little as £.37 a litre from the discount supermarkets.
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • BWZN93
    BWZN93 Posts: 2,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ruyareece wrote:
    I only use skimmed value brand longlife milk, I always have loads of cartons in the cupboard! I hate the taste of milk and only use it in tea, cereal, cooking etc. I only like skimmed as it doesn't have that gross fatty milk taste - bleurgghhh!!! _pale_

I cant stand fresh milk either, and im always paranoid its going to go off anyway, so have stacks of longlife in. Im a full cream person though, I cant stand the watery taste of skimmed - whats the point!!

Jo xx :snow_laug
    #KiamaHouse
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    And if you factor in the amount I end up throwing away because a litre is really more than we need ! not very clever I admit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure