PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Milk, a longlife that does not taste?

Options

Comments

• CharleneUK
    CharleneUK Posts: 3,206 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    We always buy longlife to keep in the cupboard.

I don't really notice the difference, neither do the kids.
    "I did then, what I knew then. And when I knew better, I did better"
  • Sweet_Pea_2
    Options
    I only ever use longlife. My eldest DD will not drink fresh and is also fussy where her longlife comes from - Morrisons longlife tastes "funny" apparently. She now drinks Aldi soya chocolate drink instead of milk. DD2 will drink any milk longlife or fresh, I always buy full fat for them, (have to go to Sainsburys just for this because Aldi only sell skimmed or semi skimmed) I cannot personally taste the difference, but I dont drink much milk as I dont like it.
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kscour wrote:
    I can't stand UHT milk - not even when I was a kid - it tastes really funny to me. OH picked up a bottle of Cravendale the other week and to me it had an odd taste (not as bad as UHT but still too yukky for me to drink). He couldn't tell the difference between Cravendale and "normal" milk and nor could my mum :confused:
    I can only assume that it's something to do with the filtering that's mentioned on the pack. Perhaps it's something similar to UHT and I'm just over sensitive?
    Does anyone have any ideas as I felt a bit stupid being the only one who had a problem.

Cravendale - the cows can keep it!!!!!

I don't drink "raw" milk myself so can't really comment fairly, and only ever have it in the odd cereals, smoothies etc so the flavour is always adulterated in some way. My DS drinks a lot of milk though, and whilst he mentioned Cravendale does taste slightly different to normal dairy milk, he actually likes it ... BUT in no way does it smell/taste like the UHT packets of milk I buy to make my yoghurt!

I had a Tesco delivery today as it happens and have some Cravendale milk which has a sell by date of 17th January, so 20 days from purchase, and is described as fresh filtered semi-skimmed milk. I think I've mentioned the true shelf-life of milk when kept in optimum conditions on previous threads, which also fall within the guidelines of this Cravendale stuff :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• tiddles
    tiddles Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I keep UHT skimmed in as a standby, and I do think it tastes the best out of all the longlife milks, although I always drink semi-skimmed fresh milk.
    Decluttered 261/2024
  • jellycat40
    Options
    I use tesco fresh milk for everything except cooking. I use uht in cooking and no one has ever complained. We all have skimmed or semi skimmed depending on age in our house. I always have powdered milk in for yogurt and bread making and so seldom run out of milk. I also buy fresh milk when cheap and freeze it. Never had any probs with in going off though.

Louise
    Nobody is perfect - not even me.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    There is always a pack of Tesco Skimmed UHT in my cupboard, we only use skimmed in tea and on cereals etc, we usually only use a 2 pint pack of fresh milk per week here but I hate running out. As it's skimmed there is no fat to taste funny and I only take a really small splash in my tea.:xmassmile
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't mind UHT milk very occasionally. However I would not go for it all the time because UHT is a strong preservative and I am not comfortable with ingesting these chemicals when I can avoid them.

Organic semi-skimmed fresh milk is the one for me. I am not worried about the cost as food quality is the one area in my life where I prefer to pay more but have organic and as fresh as possible.
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • Mr_Proctalgia
    Options
    Quasar,

UHT isn't a thing or a chemical it is a heating process, nothing more nothing less.

This is from google:-

Ultra-high temperature processing (or UHT) is the partial sterilization of food by heating it for a short time at a temperature significantly above 100°C, typically 135-140°C. The high temperature reduces the processing time, which reduces the danger of spoiling. The commonest UHT product is milk, but the process is also used for fruit juices, cream, yoghurt, wine, soups, and stews. UHT milk has a shelf life of six to nine months, until opened. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UHT
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oops... Think I got confused with something else :o
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • Mr_Proctalgia
    Options
    I think you might have been worried about "Irradiated Food" AFAIK it is not allowed in this country and other countries are voicing deep concerns over it too.
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure