PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Milk, a longlife that does not taste?

Options
Is longlife milk healthy?

Thinking of getting some longlife stuff on my home shopping, so I won`t run out and end up popping to shops for milk and spending loads.

But do they taste? I know some are better than others, but what do uou use, or am I better off freezing fresh milk? Although I have found that it dosn`t last too long after re freezing a day or two.

Oh by the way we normally have semi skimmed, or it might be cheaper getting a cow or a goat? we go through loads 30-40 pints a week.

Thanks
JAN Grocery Challange £200
Spent £154.88

FEB Grocery Challange £175 21-1 to 20-2
Spent to date £49.13

Comments

• Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We freeze our milk for 3/4 weeks and it is just fine so not sure why you would be having a problem after just a day or two.

I keep some Tesco longlife milk in my cupboard. It saves on freezer space and my daughter drinks a lot of milkshake so it is handy for that as the fruit etc. covers the milk taste anyway.
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    I only ever use fresh milk - longlife milk always tastes vile to me. Given that you get through so much milk, I would've thought freezing it in bulk would be best; surely you use it up so quickly that it doesn't have a chance to go off once thawed? We've frozen fresh milk with no problems.

Jules
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Hi Swizzle...Clip closed long life milk at Lidl is the same price as Tesco 'cut open with scissors' type, so will keep outside of the fridge once opened.
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    At Tesco's UHT milk is 50p a litre which makes it 28.5p a pint and therefore more expensive than fresh when bought in large cartons(27p for 4 pints less for 6 pints).The only value UHT milk Tesco's do is skimmed,I don't know about other supermarkets.

You could try mixing the value skimmed UHT milk half and half with fresh whole milk to make semi-skimmed which wouldn't have the cooked taste UHT has(at least not as pronounced).I've done this with reconstituted value dried skimmed milk and fresh milk and it was ok.Dried value milk works out at 19p a pint.If you cook a lot with milk UHT is fine,but not as nice for drinking.HTH :rudolf:
  • Curry_Queen
    Options
    I recently had some Cravendale milk which had almost a 3 week use-by date on it and I was still using it 3 weeks later and it was as fresh as the day I opened it! It's just ordinary semi-skimmed milk as far as I know and not "long life" as such, but it certainly lasts a long time in the fridge ;)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Alison_B
    Alison_B Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Our family only use longlife milk. I have skimmed (value) with the eldest child and the youngest child won't touch anything but ASDAs semi skimmed. Husband has sterilised milk. You get used to the milk as now we don't like fresh milks at all.
  • kscour
    kscour Posts: 665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I recently had some Cravendale milk which had almost a 3 week use-by date on it and I was still using it 3 weeks later and it was as fresh as the day I opened it! It's just ordinary semi-skimmed milk as far as I know and not "long life" as such, but it certainly lasts a long time in the fridge ;)

I can't stand UHT milk - not even when I was a kid - it tastes really funny to me. OH picked up a bottle of Cravendale the other week and to me it had an odd taste (not as bad as UHT but still too yukky for me to drink). He couldn't tell the difference between Cravendale and "normal" milk and nor could my mum :confused:
    I can only assume that it's something to do with the filtering that's mentioned on the pack. Perhaps it's something similar to UHT and I'm just over sensitive?
    Does anyone have any ideas as I felt a bit stupid being the only one who had a problem.

Cravendale - the cows can keep it!!!!!
  • chrisico
    chrisico Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    We were converted to longlife milk by my Mum. The reason it tastes funny is the fat in the milk undergoes a change in the heat treatment. If you have UHT skimmed milk there is no fat to change and so it tastes just like ordinary skimmed milk.

The nutritional values are the same as skimmed fresh milk which has the same amount of calcium and protein as full fat milk but fewer calories and no saturated fat.

It is excellent in cooking and on cereals and in drinks and keeps for ever in the cupboard unopened. Once it's opened treat it like fresh milk and keep it in the fridge.

I wouldn't give any skimmed milk product to a baby,though, as they need all the calories that the fat provides.
  • tattooed_lady
    Options
    I only use skimmed value brand longlife milk, I always have loads of cartons in the cupboard! I hate the taste of milk and only use it in tea, cereal, cooking etc. I only like skimmed as it doesn't have that gross fatty milk taste - bleurgghhh!!! _pale_
    Mortgage-free wannabe!
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have tried long life semiskimmed and it tastes vile to me - I am a milk lover.I havent tried the skimmed variety yet.I can taste the longlife stuff even in drinks and it tastes like the old sterilised milk to me ! YUK :eek:

Cravendale tastes much nicer than longlife! :snow_grin :snow_grin
    Do what you love :happyhear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family