Help - dead pc..

Options
Very annoyed about this, but I assembled my new pc in November after buying the various components over preceding weeks. On Christmas Eve I tried to switch the thing on...nothing...

(For the sake of clarity, all parts are new, save for one hard drive, which is used as a backup.)

My suspicion is it's either the power supply or some motherboard malady. The latter concerns me as I'm wondering if any other damage has been done.

I'd be grateful for advice which anyone can offer with regard to:
- What the bleep happened?
- General advice for chasing up replacement parts.

Comments

• wonderfullife_2
    Options
    Hi,
    Do you hear anything from the computer when you switch it on, fans whirling, beeps? Have you checked your plug, fuse etc.
  • rogerramjet
    Options
    As you had built it in November, did you have it working up until you turned it on on Christmas eve?

As the poster above has mentioned is there any noise coming from it?

if not try the obvious...power leads and fuses.

a bit more info is really needed here.
    Welcome, rogerramjet.
    You last visited: 01-01-1970 at 01:00 AM
  • Fillyourboots
    Options
    Hi,
    Do you hear anything from the computer when you switch it on, fans whirling, beeps? Have you checked your plug, fuse etc.

Plug is fine, no beeps.

However, (After some time) If I attempt to switch the pc on the power LED will *very* briefly flash on and the fans will spin up a little. Maybe a seconds worth of activity.

Yes, PC was working perfectly for around 6-8 weeks daily usage prior to Christmas Eve.
  • Toxteth_OGrady
    Options
    Sounds like an incorrectly seated cpu.

:cool:

TOG
    604!
  • brummybloke
    Options
    was the cpu already on your motherboard? or did you add it yourself?

being heavy handed i managed to bend some of the pins when i upgraded mine a couple years ago, i got it changed luckily.
    did you add a fan to your cpu?

it could be a number of things but as you said there was no beeping at all which would normally make it either the power supply, the cpu or the motherboard.

if you have used a paste to secure a fan, check that you havent left any on any circuitry, try using a different power lead, make sure you have connected the power supply to the motherboard ( sounds silly but some people forget).

also try connecting without the old hard drive, if it is shot it can effect your pc.
    what is the plural of moose?

slags
  • rogerramjet
    Options
    Sounds like an incorrectly seated cpu.

:cool:

TOG

Very much so.....or

did you use heat sink compund on the processor before placing the fan onto it....or if the fam had a pad on it did you remove the protective cover before seating it on the processor...sorry if this sounds like stating the obvious, but you would be amazed how many peeps don't use any compound or forget to remove the protective pad on the heatsink (done it myself once :))

It could be the processor is faulty....I've seen a good few AMD systems which have done this, worked ok for weeks or even years before they stop working...got an AMD 2600+ and 1800+ processor sitting around my house somewhere....both pulled from machines with the problem you describe and both working ok once processor was repalced
    Welcome, rogerramjet.
    You last visited: 01-01-1970 at 01:00 AM
  • MrHelpful
    Options
    sounds like your board has gone... if the following happens - you switch on your comp, stay on for all of 2 secs and switches itself off. Sometime and only sometimes would you be lucky enough for it to boot up completly. The good thing would be that it is unliklely to be a faulty hard drive. The bad however is that you would need purchase another or maybe easier just by a dell in the first place... why build when comps are so dirt cheap at the moment!!
  • albertross_2
    Options
    try removing the RAM and processor, then switch on to see if you get any beeps, the previous posts regarding heatsink paste, or incorrectly seated processor would produce this symptom. Have you set the FSB jumpers correctly (If AMD).
    Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:
  • cheets99
    cheets99 Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    MrHelpful wrote:
    sounds like your board has gone... if the following happens - you switch on your comp, stay on for all of 2 secs and switches itself off. Sometime and only sometimes would you be lucky enough for it to boot up completly. The good thing would be that it is unliklely to be a faulty hard drive. The bad however is that you would need purchase another or maybe easier just by a dell in the first place... why build when comps are so dirt cheap at the moment!!

why do you think they are so cheap, generic parts, very cheap and unstable

where if you build your own you know what you are putting in.

kinda like processed food vs home cooked food

---

Just take everything out the case bar the PSU.

Connect the case speakers.

Connect the Motherboard to the PSU (place the motherboard on a bed or table). Turn ON *note beeps if any

Add each part CPU/RAM/Graphics Card in that order, checking for beeps, check the beeps below. This is the process of elimnation.

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm
    Total CC Debt: £1750
    Overdraft £1300
    Car Loan £1750

Savings £0
    Redundancy OCT £2000
    Wage this month £540

• MrHelpful
    Options
    this is why...

Dell Dimension 5150 - 3.0GHz - 1GB RAM - 15" TFT - £470!
    Dell UK are offering £100 discount, free double memory and a Free 15 month McAfee Security SW upgrade on this Dimension 5150 Desktop PC. It is only £470 including delivery and VAT for the following spec!

Specification:

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 630 with HT technology (3.00GHz, 800MHz fsb, 2MB cache)
    Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition, SP2
    1024MB Dual Channel DDR2 400MHz (2x512) Memory
    160GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst™ cache
    48x/32x/48x/16x CDRW/DVD-ROM combination Drive
    Dell E156FP 15" Flat Panel Monitor - Midnight Grey
    Dell Entry Quietkey USB Keyboard
    Dell USB 2Button Wheel Mouse (upgradable to the usb optical mouse for £0)
    Microsoft® Works 7.0
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport