nonoh - Fair Use Policy

Options
I signed up with nonoh.net on Wednesday and bought one credit (€10). This should entitle me to 120 free days and a maximum of 200 free minutes to free destinations per week.

I use the web interface to make calls. I do not have a static IP address. In 2 days, I made 10 calls totalling 109 minutes (2 of which to an invalid phone-number).

My first phone-call to a free destination to-day became chargeable as I am deemed to have exceeded the fair usage limits. Annoyingly, this does not become clear until the number is being dialled.

I notice the T&Cs are rather vague:

Registered users get max 200 minutes per week of free calls, measured over the last 7 days and per unique IP address

In the case of Nonoh free calls, there are restrictions on the maximum number of calls and the duration of the calls.

• What are your experiences with this service?
  • I wonder what effect a dynamic IP address has?
  • Does anyone know what the limits are?
  • Do the free days get re-instated after 7 days?
Dagobert

Comments

• Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    This would be best andwered by them directly. I have a dynamic IP address from NTL/Virgin, and over 5 years it has changed only 6 times, so this shouldn;t be a major problem!
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Using callback is effectively two calls, so you'd be charged after about 100 minutes
  • Dagobert
    Dagobert Posts: 1,625 Forumite
    Options
    redux wrote: »
    Using callback is effectively two calls, so you'd be charged after about 100 minutes
    Is that different from using their software?
    Dagobert
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dagobert wrote: »
    Is that different from using their software?

Yes - If you make calls from your PC using the Nonoh VoIP client a PC, you will only be charged (in credit or in free minutes) for one call. If you use callback, whether via the website or using the Phone-to-Phone option on the Nonoh software, you will be charged for both legs of the call.

I keep meaning to experiment with the dynamic IP thing. It makes no sense to me to use the IP address to track usage, but if it works, so much the better! I'll report back if I find out anything.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • Dagobert
    Options
    Unfortunately, VOIP is and will always be out of the question for me. At the moment I am on dial-up and I will [probably] have satellite broadband installed shortly. I presume that the latency will make it unsuitable for VOIP, plus I will have bandwidth limitations.
    Dagobert
  • FrugalFriend
    Options
    I've heard VOIP is just about usable on dial up, I haven't tried it though. I use another of Betamax services and find it works perfectly. As far as I know, I've never been charged for exceeding the free minutes, although I think it's 300 mins per week. Also it's 300 mins per unique IP address. Luckily my IP address is dynamic and changes at midnight every night! :D (Resetting/restarting your modem or router might have the same effect, depending on your ISP set up.)
  • Dagobert
    Options
    I use another of Betamax services
    Which?aaaaaaaaaa
    Dagobert
  • FrugalFriend
    Options
    Sorry ages since I've read this thread- I use Voip Discount. But you've probably sorted this issue by now. :)
  • Dagobert
    Options
    redux wrote: »
    nonoh are now offering local rate access telephone numbers.

This saves you having to log on. You only pay for one, not two calls.
    This is obviously only useful in conjunction with free landline calls.
    Dagobert
  • Dagobert
    Options
    I use Voip Discount.
    They seem to operate in the same way as nonoh.
    I notice Voip Discount give you 300 free minutes in 7 days rolling (nonoh 200). How much do they charge for 120 free days?
    Dagobert
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport