WARNING! Watch for text messages scam saying “you’ve got a parcel”!

Options
What this is all about?

There’s a text doing the rounds. If you get a text message saying something like "URGENT! A large parcel is awaiting delivery, please call +43820990914 for delivery tomorrow. From International Parcel Deliveries", DO NOT call it, or any other number listed, as it’s likely to be a scam.

How much will it cost?

The number listed is in Austria, which could cost up to £1/min depending on your network provider and type of phone, which'll get very expensive if you’re left waiting on the line.

What should you do instead?

Simply delete the text and report it to your network provider.

In fact, don’t just do this for the one number above, if you're suspicious about any texts asking you to call a strange number just delete it straight away.

For information on stopping unwanted texts, calls, faxes and emails, read the Junk The Junk guide.

Please discuss this and any other phone scams you've heard of below.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• wantmemoney
    Options
    These international numbers are regulated in the same way has domestic premium rate numbers (09 etc).
    The Austrian telecoms industry know the third party company that has licence to operate them.
    They are revenue is share numbers.

Here are the National 'regulators' whose job it is to ensure these numbers are not used to defraud the public. It explains a lot.
    http://www.iarn.org/
    Welcome to the International Audiotex Regulators Network (IARN)
    Formed in 1995, IARN is the International Audiotex Regulators Network. Its main objectives are to encourage exchanges of information and to provide general knowledge of the regulation of the audiotex industry and the way regulation is approached in the member countries. It has a rotating Chair and meets twice a year.
    IARN plays an important role in working to ensure that the development of audiotex (or premium rate) services within the European Union (and beyond) goes hand-in-hand with effective consumer protection.
    The Network:
    • maintains an up-to-date list of contacts for each member country
    • maintains regular contacts, in particular twice yearly meetings
    • exchanges information about regulatory methods and legal and administrative arrangements
    • maintains a set of guidelines, which are been set down in the IARN handbook
    • co-operates in identifying malpractices
    • remains accessible to all audiotex regulators, regardless of whether they are current members or not
    • promotes awareness of the Group in the international arena and exchanges information with international regulatory organisations (especially, but not exclusively, the European Commission)
    Members:

Austria
    Rundfunk & Telekom Regulierungs-GmbH (RTR GmbH)
    web: transparent.gifwww.rtr.at

United Kingdom
    PhonepayPlus
    web: transparent.gifwww.phonepayplus.org.u
  • wantmemoney
    Options
    the two ranges of numbers being used are :
    Austria +43820 ******
    Sierra Leone +2322227****

here are some of the companies supplying/using the numbers
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1278001
  • wantmemoney
    Options
    43820990914 - who calls me?
    I was waiting for a Parcel - then I received the following text message "!!URGENT!! Large Parcel Awaiting Delivery. Please Call NOW on +43820990914". Searched for the number on Google and found your site saying that it is probably a Scam. So thank you to everyone who use's this site!
    this was one of the many thousand text messages that contain the Austrian and Sierra Leone premium rate numbers. Athough they are 'international' they can be used to bill for premium rate services in any country and are revenue share.

RTR*-*Rufnummernsuche

Ihre Suche nach der Rufnummer "0820990914" ergab folgendes Ergebnis.
    • (0)820 990800 bis (0)820 990999
      Telekom Austria TA Aktiengesellschaft
    • seit 17.10.2008
    • Ambervox AG..................................should be Ambavox
      CH, 6303 Zug, Charmerstr. 79............should be Chamerstrasse
    So Ambavox is the scammer or they have supplied the 0280 number on to the scammer.
    PhonepayPlus
    26 November 2008
    EMERGENCY PROCEDURE INVESTIGATION INTO AMBAVOX AG

PhonepayPlus, the phone-paid services regulator, has launched an investigation following seven complaints from members of the public, all of whom have South East London addresses. Having contacted the network operator through whose network the service operates, PhonepayPlus considers the service provider responsible under the PhonepayPlus Code of Practice to be ‘Ambavox AG.' The complaints relate to a parcel delivery mailing which encourages recipients to call a premium rate number to re-arrange what the promotion states was a ‘missed delivery.'.......................

Next steps
    We have written to both Atlas Interactive Group, the Network Operator, and Ambavox AG, the Service Provider, setting out our concerns.
    so it looks like Ambavox are also using 'revenue share' premium rate numbers supplied by Atlas :doh:on mail delivery cards.
  • ddbalmoral
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I got called by this number today -- the phone rang once and then it hung up -- obviously hoping that I would call back -- luckily for me I didn't :j - but this must be a new ploy as they are probably not getting enough texts.
  • GraemeW
    Options
    Be aware that there is also a very similar email doing the rounds. The hook is the same - "we couldn't deliver your parcel today" and I think from memory it purported to come from DHL. However, this one carries the sting in its tail of a virus in the attachment. Of course, it happened to arrive when we were expecting a parcel delivery!
  • robredz
    robredz Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    Options
    I have worked for DHL and they would not usually email a customer, but a courier may phone a customer if their location is remote to gain directions to the address, or if an answerphone is on would give their name and a contact number to re arrange the (expected) delivery.
  • JulieT_2
    Options
    I had one of these text messages as well, when I wasn't expecting anything. A quick check in the BT phone book suggested the number was for Sierra Leone so I ignored it. Glad I did!
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Options
    I am afraid I fell for it!and am awaiting the phone bill. We had sent the xbox away to Germany for repair,had an email to say it was in transit and lo and behold I get a text message to say an international parcel is awaiting delivery. I estimate I must have been on line 10 mins. I s there any redress(oftcom etc)or do I just accept I was stupid!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure