🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Storage Heaters dont give out enough heat

Options
Hi ..further to my previous posting on the topic..the builders are going to put in higher wattage storage heaters,,from 750k to 3000k.Which is good as i have the option to turn them down shall they be too warm, and also i believe they have a thermostat that will cut them off and turn on if temperature gets too hot , too cold.Further to this i mentioned that the heated towel rail in the bathroom dosnt even take the slightest of chill off the bathroom due to the large window, I know they are not meant to heat rooms but to have to put your coat on to go in the bathroom is rediculous...the builder said today he is going to put one of the storage heaters in the bathroom,,but i wandered was it safe to mix storage heaters with bathrooms that are steamy and damp from baths and showers??Also this property will be let out soon so i dont want anything bad happening to tennants..ie electric shocks or i dont know if it would pass safety regulations...anyhow i am sure someone on here can advise me ..thank you for any replies

Comments

• brownbake
    brownbake Posts: 561 Forumite
    Options
    Don't waste your money getting storage heaters, seriously.

You can get a decent combi system installed for roughly £1300 and a standard boiler for less than that.

Storage heaters are cheap, nasty and prone to loads of problems and maintenance. A real false economy.

If it is just a grotty bedsit then I guess they could suffice. Anything bigger than a 1 room bedsit - avoid at all costs.
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    But if the only option is electric then there isn't that much choice. you could go with panel heaters but then you'd lose the benefit of charging up on the cheap rate.
  • Ladybird20
    Options
    No its not a grotty bedsit,,its a "nice 2 bed appartment" in a "excellent location"..Itsa new build the economy 7 is already installed which personally i dont like and i agree is a false economy.Yes so if a panel heater is installed in the bathroom is that a safe option???
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Check out water filled radiators. http://www.smarterheating.com/

No good for the bathroom probably (unless there's a sealed plug version), but no plumbing or special wiring. They just use a standard 13amp plug. You simply hang them on the wall and plug them in. This would mean, for example, that in an extreme situation if you did ever have one not working you could swap it over yourself.

No maintenance either. And they're not ugly.
  • Ladybird20
    Options
    Its for the bathroom,,like i said i will be renting this property out so its got to be tennant friendly and be safe to use..so back to the question..are panel heaters suitable for a bathroom,,thanks in advance for any replies
  • robby-01
    robby-01 Posts: 1,336 Forumite
    Options
    you can get wet central heating systems that use an electric flow boiler in place of a standardgas boiler.
    i have fitted a couple of these and they work really well,not sure about running costs.
    no maintenance costs as such to worry about unlike a gas fired system.
    Storage heaters are pretty much maintenance free once fitted and that is why they are popular in buildings like yours ,they are pretty unpopular with the end user though
  • robby-01
    Options
    Ladybird20 wrote: »
    Its for the bathroom,,like i said i will be renting this property out so its got to be tennant friendly and be safe to use..so back to the question..are panel heaters suitable for a bathroom,,thanks in advance for any replies
    some are some arnt,more usual to fit electric towel rail in modern apartments
  • Ladybird20
    Options
    there is at the moment a chrome towel heater, which dosnt even take the chill out of the air in the bathroom , hence the first post,,so guys i am still none the wiser .. thanks for my replies though.
    Sebastianj..you need to start your own thread as thats a complex and significant question needing to be answered from your own thread, but i hope you get it sorted.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    brownbake wrote: »

You can get a decent combi system installed for roughly £1300 and a standard boiler for less than that.

Storage heaters are cheap, nasty and prone to loads of problems and maintenance. A real false economy.

Absolute rubbish, I have had my storage heaters for over 20 years, never cost me a penny in repairs or maintenance. They are actually more cost effective as well since the price of gas continues to rise more than electricity.

No ugly pipework either.
  • robby-01
    Options
    brownbake wrote: »

If it is just a grotty bedsit then I guess they could suffice. Anything bigger than a 1 room bedsit - avoid at all costs.
    you can get a combi system fitted from scratch for 1300 quid (where and by whom),and a "standard boiler for less"
    What is a "standard boiler"?
    Do you mean a fully pumped system you will need a water tank then ,that system will cost a lot more to install than a combi system.
    What problems do storage heaters have?
    What maintenance do they require?
    I will tell you they require no maintenance and as they are of a relatively simple construction very rarely breakdown.
    Another example you posting complete rubbish.
    Stick to whatever it is you know,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family